PDA

View Full Version : Looking for inputs about the "Cool Breeze" flip flop route.

Pilgrim '11
07-14-2009, 14:10
I'm planning to follow the Cool Breeze (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm)flip flop route when I thru hike in 2011. I will get on at the AT Train Station at Pawling, NY then walk to Troutville, VA. I'll jump to Katahdin then walk back to Pawling, and finish on the south end.

Who else has walked this route and what were your impressions?

Weather? Water?
What will shelter usage be like?
What about other people? If I start mid- to late-May, I figure I'll be crossing paths with NOBOs late June and early July, and maybe again in late August. What about weekend crowds north of Roanoke in late June? Will general foot traffic have thinned out a lot in the Smokies by mid-September (other than weekends, of course)?

Blissful
07-14-2009, 14:21
Not sure why you are choosing to flip two different times. You will be passing people going the opposite way for the most part and never really with hikers going your direction unless they are sectioners. I guess I can see it for the weather / bug issue maybe. But it's your hike.

As for weekenders, they are out at all times. So you'll see them most every weekend. Just bring a tent and tent where you want.

I'd think Sept would be prime time in the Smokies as are all parks in the fall season for the autumn color. But if you are thru hiking and with the shelters, it really isn't an issue as you can camp if the shelters are full.

Pilgrim '11
07-14-2009, 14:58
A correction: the link in my post didn't work. Sorry. Here's the URL: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

And, good words about "why" flip twice are in the route write up. I also have very good ground support so the travel is a minor part of the whole project.

MOWGLI
07-14-2009, 15:07
I have a friend who hiked Harpers ==> Springer. Then Katahdin ==> Harpers.

Then Dark Star ==> Drums ==> Space ==> Stella Blue ==> Wharf Rat ==> US Blues. Wait! I'm getting confused. :p

Seriously. She loved the way she went. I'd be VERY surprised to learn that the way you are considering hiking has been done by others. Enjoy!

Lauriep
07-14-2009, 17:07
The "Cool Breeze" thru-hike was invited by the thru-hiker "Cool Breeze," after he'd thru-hiked twice, a decade apart. This was the itinerary that he felt optimized terrain, climate, and a variety of other factors. It also made sense for him to start where he did because he lived in Connecticut. A few others have done it and liked it.

One of the biggest drawbacks would be loneliness, and not being a part of the thru-hiker community or developing long-term friendships on the trail. Although I believe Cool Breeze did it alone (well, with his beagle, I believe), I think it would be best for a committed couple or someone who knows they don't need to be around anyone they have ever met before, every day, for weeks at a time.

Laurie P.
ATC

Pilgrim '11
07-22-2009, 14:51
Responding to:

Not sure why you are choosing to flip two different times. You will be passing people going the opposite way for the most part and never really with hikers going your direction unless they are sectioners. I guess I can see it for the weather / bug issue maybe. But it's your hike.

...and...

One of the biggest drawbacks would be loneliness, and not being a part of the thru-hiker community or developing long-term friendships on the trail. Although I believe Cool Breeze did it alone (well, with his beagle, I believe), I think it would be best for a committed couple or someone who knows they don't need to be around anyone they have ever met before, every day, for weeks at a time.

Actually, the solitude is one of the biggest attractions for me. I don't mean to say I'm not interested in connecting with other thru hikers at all; I figure there'll be some of that. And I'll get a dose of civilization pretty regularly. But I've never experienced a long period of time where I'm alone with my thoughts and am looking forward to that.

As to why two flips: I'll have excellent ground support from my wife, and the travel time will provide us opportunities to be together. If anything, I'll see her a little more often this way than if I did a straight thru.

David@whiteblaze
07-23-2009, 00:21
well, it sounds like a great way to go if you are concerned about the weather, if you want the whole "first time thru-hike experience" as i do, opt out for the nobo thru-hike. also, any break from central florida's weather is a welcome change.