PDA

View Full Version : Is August too late to start?

beebessd
07-14-2009, 17:36
Hi all,
I'm planning on thru-hiking southbound beginning in August (either the 2nd, the 10th, or the 15th). The 15th works best with my work schedule, but I'm afraid it will get be too cold to be hiking PA in November and Virginia in December, especially at high elevations. I found online that at least one person has started August 1st and made it the whole way http://www.vhl.org/hike/ so I know its possible to start in August and finish in January. I have a +15 sleeping bag and a three season tent, and I'll bring plenty of warm clothing. Has anyone else hiked starting this late? Any advice for how to do it?

Donnie
07-14-2009, 17:46
I am leaving PA and heading for Maine on August 8th so I certainly hope it isn't too late to start. I plan to be traveling faster than most people (partly due to concern for weather but more so budget and time constraints), so the conditions in the later months are of as of great concern. I believe that so long as you are prepared for cooler temperatures and fewer hours of daylight you should be fine. If you don't mind walking in the dark, break out the headlamp and enjoy your hike a little longer each day.

-Donnie

rickb
07-14-2009, 19:18
Any advice for how to do it?

With style?

Without listening to much to the NOBOs advice?

With a headlamp and blaze orange?

With a great appreciation for how great your trip is going to be not despite the fact that it is a bit unique, but rather because it is?

Have fun,

Rick B
ME=>GA
7/13/83 - 12/1/83

Blissful
07-14-2009, 19:41
From what I have heard for NOBO starts in January (which apply to a SOBO hike that will be in areas where NOBOs have been at that time of year) you're gonna need a warmer bag than that down south. Lots of food to keep up your nutrition level (ask kayak Karl) And prepare for snow and ice.

kayak karl
07-14-2009, 19:58
I am leaving PA and heading for Maine on August 8th so I certainly hope it isn't too late to start. I plan to be traveling faster than most people (partly due to concern for weather but more so budget and time constraints), so the conditions in the later months are of as of great concern. I believe that so long as you are prepared for cooler temperatures and fewer hours of daylight you should be fine. If you don't mind walking in the dark, break out the headlamp and enjoy your hike a little longer each day.

-Donnie
im leaving on the train 8/9 from wilmington for SOBO. may be ill see you in Maine. :) i don't worry about the weather. Blissful is right. i am concerned about nutrition.

Blissful
07-14-2009, 20:00
All the way Kayak Karl! Hope it goes well for you. Want to see you finish. :)

modiyooch
07-14-2009, 21:56
Hi all,
I'm planning on thru-hiking southbound beginning in August (either the 2nd, the 10th, or the 15th). The 15th works best with my work schedule, but I'm afraid it will get be too cold to be hiking PA in November and Virginia in December, especially at high elevations. I found online that at least one person has started August 1st and made it the whole way http://www.vhl.org/hike/ so I know its possible to start in August and finish in January. I have a +15 sleeping bag and a three season tent, and I'll bring plenty of warm clothing. Has anyone else hiked starting this late? Any advice for how to do it?
I think you will figure it out as you hike. You always have the option of coming off.

CrumbSnatcher
07-14-2009, 22:12
why would august be so late? don't most SOBO's leave in mid july? that would be like most thruhikers starting in march and you leaving a couple 3 weeks later! in april! IMO you'll be fine?

GeneJockey
07-25-2009, 18:39
I'm starting on the 15th as well (or around then). I'll see you out there.

Philip
07-26-2009, 13:37
I will most likely be leaving mid-August (2010) for a SOBO Thru as well, subject to availability of my last class prior to graduation. If I am lucky and the class is available Summer I semester, I will be leaving during the middle of July.

I purchased a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag along with a silk liner, and will be bringing a three-season shelter and a full range clothing layer system with the insulation layer consisting of clothing made from silk, down, wool and possum down. I'll be moving fast too and expect to do the trail in four months (five months tops), but still worry about what sort of weather I will encounter toward the end, as well as The Whites in Sept/Oct and The Smokies in Nov/Dec.

As far as calories are concerned, I am currently not planning to have any outside support and instead will rely on what I can procure from towns along the way (which may include a bounce box from time to time). From what I can tell from reading the Companion and Data Book, this plan is workable.

I suspect the end may not be a walk in the park so to speak, so it'll all come down to the same challenge everyone else faces regardless of the season; how bad do you want it, and how well did you prepare? Good luck guys and maybe we'll find out together. See you there.

gcobb1990
07-31-2009, 17:22
I'm setting out on August 21. Maybe I'll catch up to you guys ;)

beebessd
05-27-2015, 21:36
I left August 15th in 2009. There was Lots of snow that winter- about 1 ft for every 1000 feet elevation. Snowshoes were very necessary and 1mile per hour was a good pace during heavy snow. I hiked about 2/3rds of the trail and stopped in mid January when the snow stopped being fun. IMHO this is a personal question. It depends on what motivates you and what you want to get out of the hike. Good things are you will miss the black flies in Maine, follow the fall south through several states, and have the trail, shelters, and hostels to yourself a good portion of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye
05-27-2015, 22:58
Never too late to start, as long as you start. It just makes the hike, and maybe the equipment needs, different. Have a ball.

Buttercup01
05-28-2015, 00:41
I mostly hike PA. The biggest challenge I find is the weight from two types of clothes. I'm in a tshirt down to 45 degrees, but need considerably more than that when I stop. Most hikers I see are bundled up and I just don't get it. I sweat like a pig in thermals when it is over 55 degrees. I have Multiple Sclerosis and the heat is miserable for me. Cold weather, good layering, and 2 pair of gloves is the way to go.

Francis Sawyer
05-28-2015, 10:06
Anything is possible. My advice is this; if it gets cold then you are going to want to get warm. DUH!

Heliotrope
10-12-2015, 22:42
I'm considering a SOBO next year. I live in Maine and to me mid August to late September is perfect hiking here. Why miss out on that by starting earlier? Drier, cooler, quieter, less bugs, fall colors, wild edible mushrooms-all the things that make a southbound trip attractive to certain folks rather than NOBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryGerman
04-12-2016, 12:45
That's a great time to start south! Many reasons why I chose to go that time of year and will go that time of year again soon! Don't listen to the NOBO's and their stories about how tough this is or that is or how boring this is/that is. 1 out of 11 make it going south but if you make it out of Maine and NH you will be well on your way to completion.
Good luck and as I've said many times; lemongrass soap and lemongrass oil is the best way to ward of the skeeters, ticks etc. No need to use chemicals that are harmful to you and the enviro! Seriously! Once you start smelling like you belong out in the wilderness the bugs will leave you alone!!!