PDA

View Full Version : Boot Shopping

MtnRider1981
07-14-2009, 20:00
After reviewing some sites online I decided that I needed help in selecting a boot for the trail. All of the features and brand-specific trademark names for waterproofing and insulation are insane. I have had good luck with Merrells. Is REI a good place to buy shoes? A guy I met today on a trail said that REI will return merchandise 'no questions' if it doesn't work out. Good idea?

bigcranky
07-14-2009, 21:11
Regular hiking boots and shoes don't need any insulation. I prefer not to have any waterproof liner in mine, either, though some hikers like that option with full-leather boots.

REI is a decent place to shop for boots. Yes, they offer a full guarantee.

frmrnyker
07-14-2009, 21:20
Just went through that madness...

My feet are not "normal" and rather a hard fit. I live in Maine and had to travel to NYC to get my boots.. Picked up a pair of Scarpa's after my Vasques from last year chewed my feet apart :(. Maine and around here is usually always wet so I went with the goretex.

That said.. LL Bean took them back... no questions. Not much for selection, and price is always higher... Also EMS has a similar return policy... good instore service and selection. Campmoor in Jersey had soooo many choices and service was good.

You can buy online but I'd say you'd better try it on in a store and know exactly what you want.

Tuney
07-31-2009, 18:25
Being a Senior Citizen (I'll be 68 when I hit the trail in 2010) My pack has always weighed more than 40 Lbs, and I've always worn mid or high top leather boots by Danner.

In preparing for a through hike, I've been looking for ways to increase speed and endurance so I've been reading about light weight backpacking. I bought my first pair of Trail Running Shoes (No I'm not planning to run the AT) today "Salomon XA Pro ED Ultra GTX". I've also recently purchased a very comfortable pair of Vasque Breeze XCR GTX boots which are a little lighter than my previous Danners.

I'm planning to hike SOBO beginning in early June. If they work, I'll use the trail runners, and try to keep my pack at +/- 35 LBS.

Any opinions anybody would care to share?

Blissful
07-31-2009, 19:58
Trail runners are sufficient for the AT. Unless you plan to carry heavy loads.

Tuney
07-31-2009, 22:07

I'm working hard to figure out how to lighten the load. I've already dumped 30 Lbs of my body since January struggling to get down another 27. Pack is down from 45 to 39 and we're not finished yet.

Taking 2 lbs off the boots by switching to trail runners is like taking 10 Lbs off the pack according to some sources.

gravy4601
07-31-2009, 23:17
merrel have always been good to me my feet got wet last year after a five mile hike in the rain they gave me a credit and new boots no questions asked :D

Spokes
08-26-2009, 10:43
I had every intention of switching to trail runners on this years thru-hike but in the end preferred my Keen Targhee II's. I never got any blisters wearing them. Don't expect getting big mileage out of boots nowadays since most are made on a running shoe foundation.

Waterproofing? Choose comfort first!

Check out my reviews on my trailjournals gear page. Good luck!

garlic08
08-26-2009, 11:03
For me, it was trial and error and about 2000 miles on the PCT before I found the right shoe (New Balance 8XX series, EE width). I hope you have better luck.

I also hear stories of excellent shoe salesmen who are trained to fit hiking shoes. Maybe you can find someone like that if you ask around locally. Best of luck.

Rocket Jones
08-26-2009, 11:40
I'm going to buy my first new pair of hiking boots in quite a while. My old pair (15 years or so) are still in pretty good shape, but they're full leather and heavy, heavy, heavy.

I called the outfitter that I'm going to visit this weekend. Here's the conversation:

Me: Do you have someone who really knows how to fit hiking boots?
Clerk: We're *all* well qualified to fit boots!
Me: Do you use the Oren Fit System?
Clerk: Uh... let me go get the manager.
*brief wait*
Manager: Sir? I've heard of the Oren Fit System, but we don't have anyone that's taken that class. If you're still interested in hiking boots, my assistant manager, Kyle, is the best one to see.

I verified that Kyle would be there when I was going to, and the manager was going to give him a heads up that I'd be asking for him.

I wasted a fair amount of time at another chain outdoors store with a clueless sales clerk, and don't want to go through that again.

paradoxb3
08-26-2009, 12:00
I'm also a big fan of Merrell hiking boots. I'm in the same boat you're in with making the decision over high-ankle gortex stuff (which is what i currently own) or making the switch to a lighter boot/trail runner... I just really like the high ankled boots myself... i'm really hoping to find a middle-ground "compromise" boot with high ankles but light/non-waterproof thats worked well for others...

My problem is sizing... I'm afraid on my 2010 thru that when i goto replace my boots, i'll have trouble finding a size that fits me. i already wear usually size 14s, and some say you'll need a size bigger after a while! :eek:

Cool AT Breeze
08-26-2009, 13:43
Keen. Nice wide toe box.

Rocket Jones
08-30-2009, 17:17
I'm going to buy my first new pair of hiking boots in quite a while. My old pair (15 years or so) are still in pretty good shape, but they're full leather and heavy, heavy, heavy.

I called the outfitter that I'm going to visit this weekend. Here's the conversation:

Me: Do you have someone who really knows how to fit hiking boots?
Clerk: We're *all* well qualified to fit boots!
Me: Do you use the Oren Fit System?
Clerk: Uh... let me go get the manager.
*brief wait*
Manager: Sir? I've heard of the Oren Fit System, but we don't have anyone that's taken that class. If you're still interested in hiking boots, my assistant manager, Kyle, is the best one to see.

I verified that Kyle would be there when I was going to, and the manager was going to give him a heads up that I'd be asking for him.

I wasted a fair amount of time at another chain outdoors store with a clueless sales clerk, and don't want to go through that again.

I went to visit Kyle on Saturday. We talked for a while and he measured my feet. He said right up front that he had a particular boot in mind that would probably be best for the fit I needed, but that he didn't stock it. We tried a Vasque, and after an hour or so of playing with the sizes and what socks I was wearing, neither one of us was satisfied with the fit.

I'm supposed to call him mid-week and he's going to give me the contact information of another guy closer to where I live, and this guy is going to make sure he has the other boot in stock (it's an Asolo). It's not the same store chain, although he did say that if nothing else, I could give him a couple of weeks and he could order them for me.

This kind of service is amazing. Above and beyond what he had to do, just to make a customer happy, even if that meant another store would get the sale. I still purchased a few things, and I will be going back when I'm in the area.

MkBibble
08-30-2009, 21:55
REI is a decent place to shop for boots. Yes, they offer a full guarantee.

The closest REI to me is 1-1/2 hours away and I wasn't able to find a local place that had a selection of boots. I have been to REI twice (Sunday both times) and they were too busy or under-staffed to really offer much help, but they did seem to have a decent selection.

The no-questions-asked exchange works well. I picked a set of Merrells that felt great. After about 10 miles on the treadmill at home they started hurting. I tried and exchanged two more pairs (rei.com), but never got one to fit right.

Last Sunday I went back to the REI store and spent a couple more hours trying boots and I ended up with some Keens that seem to have a little more room in the toe. I wore them to the office all last week, and they were fine. Today I got a chance to go for a little walk and got a blister at about 5 miles ... :mad:

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 22:57
This kind of service is amazing. Above and beyond what he had to do, just to make a customer happy, even if that meant another store would get the sale. I still purchased a few things, and I will be going back when I'm in the area.

That's probably because he's an assistant manager and knows the difference between making a sale and making a customer. Nice when that happens.

Although I must say that I think the Oren Fit System is a bit much, unless your feet are as deformed as Phil Oren's.

Rocket Jones
08-31-2009, 05:49
That's probably because he's an assistant manager and knows the difference between making a sale and making a customer. Nice when that happens.

Although I must say that I think the Oren Fit System is a bit much, unless your feet are as deformed as Phil Oren's.

Nah, they didn't do that at the store, although the guy knew the basics of it. I originally asked about it to weed out the clerks from the people who really knew how to fit boots.

Rambler
08-31-2009, 13:52
Merrell makes excellent trail runners such as the Moab Ventilators. Gortex low cuts will keep your feet dry from morning dew, but rain will eventually get your feet wet. Gortex takes longer to dry. I prefer a non-gortex model.

buz
09-01-2009, 10:14
My .02 would be to invest time and get somewhere where they have a good variety of different manufacturers to try on. I bet you will find brands that are better and worse for your foot simply on initial fit. Then you can figure out features like gore tex, boot vs. trail runner style. For me, Merrells are out, they simply don't fit my higher arch feet. Same with Garmont, and Asolo brands. But Vasque work great, unlike for previous poster. My shoes are Vasque Breeze low style non goretex. Work perfectly. But this was after a lot of trial and error. Any good store will also have a slant board for you to step on. Use it, it can point out some issues. Good luck.

ike1985
09-09-2009, 21:10
leave the boots at home, get shoes

gravy4601
09-09-2009, 21:17
i'm looking at a pair of keen and asolo in hightop gortex any one have any luck with these brands as far as durability and sole comfort

Pony
09-09-2009, 23:31

I've often wondered in regards to trail runners and heavy packs. What is the difference between a 150lb person carrying a 40 lb pack and a 170 lb person carrying a 20 lb pack?

Pony
09-09-2009, 23:39
My .02 would be to invest time and get somewhere where they have a good variety of different manufacturers to try on. I bet you will find brands that are better and worse for your foot simply on initial fit. Then you can figure out features like gore tex, boot vs. trail runner style. For me, Merrells are out, they simply don't fit my higher arch feet. Same with Garmont, and Asolo brands. But Vasque work great, unlike for previous poster. My shoes are Vasque Breeze low style non goretex. Work perfectly. But this was after a lot of trial and error. Any good store will also have a slant board for you to step on. Use it, it can point out some issues. Good luck.

I like Vasque as well, but the key words are NON GORTEX. If you're out in the rain long enough, no amount of gortex will keep your feet dry, and once the water is in it stays in for a while. I've had some pretty chewed up feet because they stayed wet so long.

gravy4601
09-12-2009, 22:18
i just saw some asolo TPS 520 GV they sound like good boots and have great reviews

Not Sunshine
09-12-2009, 22:32
(1) Try on boots at the end of a long day - your feet are most swollen then
(2) Wander around the store to make sure they feel good...and to find something else to buy....
(3) I ordered a pair of vasque's on backcountry.com and they didn't work out - I only had to pay the return shipping fees (USPS). The boots were worn and muddy, and backcountry gave me a 100% refund.