PDA

View Full Version : Alright...one more time...

CANtucky
07-14-2009, 20:05
On the topic of pack weight... :D

I went for an overnight hike and just got home today. I've done a lot of hiking but very little backpacking so I stuffed my pack with 30 pounds of stuuuufff and went to hike a fairly difficult trail. I wanted to make sure I really want to do the AT before I go spending all my money. :)

HOLY CRAP. I think it cut my speed in half, among otherthings. I got to one mileage marker and almost fell over. Seemed to take soooo long. I have a new respect for all backpackers and thru-hikers. I did decide I still want to thru (actually not really a question for me but I thought it should be faced very realistically) but I want to ask if 30 pounds is about right. Seems from what I've read that it is.

So, especially heading south, what are some of the biggest weight blunders that newbies make? What are the top things people send home at Monson (or toss off a mountain, etc)? What do people think they need, but then decide they don't?

Thanks! (And I know all I do here is ask questions, I hope they are not all too redundant! You are all so helpful!)

kayak karl
07-14-2009, 20:12
On the topic of pack weight... :D

I went for an overnight hike and just got home today. I've done a lot of hiking but very little backpacking so I stuffed my pack with 30 pounds of stuuuufff and went to hike a fairly difficult trail. I wanted to make sure I really want to do the AT before I go spending all my money. :)

HOLY CRAP. I think it cut my speed in half, among otherthings. I got to one mileage marker and almost fell over. Seemed to take soooo long. I have a new respect for all backpackers and thru-hikers. I did decide I still want to thru (actually not really a question for me but I thought it should be faced very realistically) but I want to ask if 30 pounds is about right. Seems from what I've read that it is.

So, especially heading south, what are some of the biggest weight blunders that newbies make? What are the top things people send home at Monson (or toss off a mountain, etc)? What do people think they need, but then decide they don't?

Thanks! (And I know all I do here is ask questions, I hope they are not all too redundant! You are all so helpful!)
with food and water on the AT you will be carrying a 30# and plus pack. 5 days of food on a thru can weight 15#.

Kerosene
07-14-2009, 20:15
Yep, if you can get your total pack weight, with food and other consummables down to 30-35 pounds (with a pack that can carry that amount of weight) then you're in the right ballpark.

Note that part of the issue might have been with the pack you loaded, in that it wasn't cut out for that much weight. Part of the issue might be with the way you loaded it, as 30 lbs. of stuuuuufff may just sit in the bottom of the pack whereas your equipment will be more distributed. However, the most likely cause is that you're not in backpacking shape, and you won't be until you've backpacked 100-200 miles or more.

Shoot for 2 mph on average over a moderately tough trail. You'll probably be slower on the steep uphills initially, and faster on the downhills, so you'll average out.

The best way to answer your questions is to go out on a series of weekend hikes with the gear you think you'll use on that AT, and then cut out all the gear you don't find yourself using. Most newbies bring too many clothes (you only need a set to walk in and a dry, warmer set for camp and town), haven't invested in a lightweight down bag, carry too much food initially, or carry a lot of stuff that they never/rarely use.

Frankly, the hard part won't be the exertion. The hardest part of a thru-hike will be finding the mental fortitude to keep putting your pack on day after day after day..., even when it's raining for the 5th day in 6. Start slow (10 mpd for a few weeks) and build up slowly. At your age you'll be able to pull back-to-back 20's by Virginia (but try to avoid trying earlier or you'll blow out your knee or ankle).

Ox97GaMe
07-15-2009, 00:24
30 lbs is about right. you can get to lighter weight if you are willing to spend more money. General rule, the lighter it is, the more expensive it is. Sometimes you can find really good bargains on lightweight stuff but not often.

I found some of my hiking clothing at thrift stores. My rain jacket, my fleece, and some beach shorts. Ive seen hikers that wear button down poly shirts on the trail. you could get these there too. you dont have to buy all your gear at LL Bean, EMS, REI, or Campmoor.

Food and water tend to be the items that most hikers are carrying way too much of early on. Because they dont know what their daily hiking distance is, they put in a fudge factor. The problem with this is that more weight means slowing down, which means more food needed for the extra day(s). more food also means more fuel to cook food. It becomes a vicious circle.

I see a lot of hikers that fill up with water in the morning, then hike all day. There is no point carrying more than 2 ltrs at a time. There will be plenty of streams and ponds in Maine to be able to refill your bottles every hour or two as needed.

As was stated earlier, how the pack fits and how it is loaded makes a big difference. If you are buying a pack, have the salesperson fit it properly before you take it to the mountains. If they dont provide that service, go into a local outfitter store and ask them if they can do it. My first pack wasnt fitted. When I got my second pack, it was fitted. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

General rule of thumb also when loading the pack is to keep heavier stuff near the bottom of the pack, so as to rest more on your hips rather than pulling on your shoulder straps. I put my tent/hammock on the outside using side straps. The rainfly is usually wet in the mornings anyway (rain or dew). this keeps it from getting everything in my pack wet and allows it to dry out during the day while hiking or can be easily retrieved for drying during a lunch or rest break.

If you are on medication, you dont need to take a full 6 month supply. Towns will have pharmacies or you can send it via mail drops. No point carrying 250 ibuprofin tablets or a litre of contact solution.

You wont need a full first aid kit. They look small, but are actually quite heavy comparitively. Basics to get you to the nearest town (for more comprehensive medical attention if needed) are as follows:
- 3 average size bandaids, 2-3 ft of duct tape (all kinds of uses), small tube of anticeptic cream, bandana, needle (blisters), tweezers (splinters, ticks, bee stings)

Other items I have seen hikers bring that fall into the 'not needed' category.
- hatchet, Swiss Army knife, snakebite kit, compass, GPS

Nasty Dog Virus
07-15-2009, 08:02
I don't know what pack you use but I would make sure that it is the right size for you and is adjusted properly. Def. make sure your pack is set at the proper torso lenght. If you have the wrong size pack, your shoulders/back will get sore even if you only have 20lbs. I learned this the hard way....