PDA

View Full Version : One pair of Boots?

Hacmatac
07-14-2009, 20:08
Hello;

Is it realistic to assume that the whole of the AT can be completed with one good pair of boots, or should one plan on a second pair mid-way? My boots usually last several years, but I have no idea how many miles I put on a pair before they wear-out. Thanks...

fiddlehead
07-14-2009, 21:32
I've seen it done.
But it's rare.
Most use 2 and those that use trail runners even use more although i've never needed more than 2.

Some people think you need new shoes when the arch wears down a bit or the tread gets slippery.
Other's attempt to hike the whole trail on a pair of $39 junk shoes and hold them together with duct tape for the last 500 miles.

Up to you!
But, i'd plan on 2

Ox97GaMe
07-14-2009, 23:44
I have hiked over 13,000 miles over the years. I wear Vasque Gortex boots when I can find them, or similar style when I cannot. I usually get about 1500 miles out of a pair.

When I thru hiked, I started with a pair that had been already broken in with probably 150 miles on them. I had to replace them at Harpers Ferry because I couldnt keep the water out of them any longer. The tread was still pretty good, but the leather cracked. I learned that boots need proper treatment from time to time to keep the leather in decent shape. Take care of the boots, they will take care of you.

Plodderman
07-15-2009, 16:34
No boots I have ever worn can go that far but I am sure it can be done. Even though I have switched to Asic Gel Enduros the best pair of hiking boots I have had came from Dicks Sporting Goods (Timberlake) and I got about 1,000 miles out of them.

Probably should go ahead and get another pair and get wome hiking in them so you do not have ot wear them new later on.

johnnybgood
07-15-2009, 18:16
Probably a good idea to buy a second pair of same type boots at an outfitters so they can size up your feet.
After months of walking day in and day out the feet begin to swell due to fluid retention. Anyways , I'd buy a 2nd pair and then do fewer miles so as to break them over the first several days.

Or have an already broken in pair mail dropped at an outfitters near the trail.

Jim Adams
07-16-2009, 13:12
Vasque Sundowners are the only relatively light weight boot that I've seen / experienced going the whole way with 1 pair.

Personally I wouldn't buy a second pair before the hike. Usually by the time you need a second pair in the hike, your feet have changed size and shape and your 2nd pair even broken in can give you blisters if they fit at all.

geek