PDA

View Full Version : What are the hanging possibilities at the campground at Big Meadows?

Fat Man Walking
07-14-2009, 20:21
Planning to stay there on Saturday night (7/18) and was wondering if the campsites had ample trees to hang a hammock from. I know there are trees everywhere but, was just wondering. Am looking forward to a nice breakfast on Sunday morning.

johnnybgood
07-14-2009, 22:51
Tent sites do . They are set back in the woods . I'm thinking there are also possibilities on the inner loops as well. There are sites with plenty of trees , hope it all works out for you.

MedicineMan
07-15-2009, 06:19
but speaking of hanging what about around No Business Knob shelter. I'm taking a noob (though a beautiful noob) on her first AT section hike..figuring Spivey to Erwin as easy as it gets around my neck of the AT woods and she's already fallen in love with the hammock on an Edisto paddle trip 2 weeks ago....so can anyone remember the hammock hanging potential around No Business Knob shelter? I've been by it 10 times but I wasnt hanging then...

Fat Man Walking
07-15-2009, 20:39
You know, it's been a few years since I went through there but, I do believe that there were ample trees from which to hang. May have to make some slight modifications but, I bet it could be done.

In fact and unless the trees that I hung my clothes line from have been removed, I know that there were.

Hikerhead
07-15-2009, 21:58
Planning to stay there on Saturday night (7/18) and was wondering if the campsites had ample trees to hang a hammock from. I know there are trees everywhere but, was just wondering. Am looking forward to a nice breakfast on Sunday morning.

Plenty of trees to hang from in the walk-in sites down at the bottom of the hill. I've hung there before.

freefall
07-15-2009, 22:32
I was in last Big Meadows in `06 and had no problem hanging despite having one of the sites in the middle (not a walk-in site.) We were in either a or c loop but if you can get reservations for a tent site (here's a map, walk ins are in I and O http://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Big_Meadows/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70939&topTabIndex=CampingSpot ) it would be easier.

Several of the walk in sites are first come first served so I'd recommend getting to the check-in station by noon. For the 18th, it looks like all that are available for reservation are already reserved.

Good luck and happy hanging!!!

freefall
07-15-2009, 22:41
but speaking of hanging what about around No Business Knob shelter.
If I remember right- to the right & behind the shelter there are many good trees for hanging.
Here's a good shot of the approach from the south of the shelter:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3367&catid=searchresults&searchid=25892

Lilred
07-16-2009, 08:26
There are a couple of good hanging sites right next to the check in building. They are the last to be taken, since they are so close to the road. If you're walking, it's a good place to be.

Downhill Trucker
07-16-2009, 21:09
I hung there and at Loft Mountain. No problems!