PDA

View Full Version : Campsite ?

Rowdy Yates
07-15-2009, 07:01
:confused: Is there are campsite North of Waycaster Springs between the Spring and the crest of Pond Mountain in the Pond Mountain Wilderness? Somewhere I read or saw that there was one about a mile or so North of Waycaster Spring but cannot find it in the Data Book. Any help appreciated.

El Toro '94
07-15-2009, 10:39
In my companion, the campsite is called Pond Flats, it's 3.5 miles north of waycaster spring. IIROC it's about 3/4 of the way up the mountain, before you come to the high point of the AT on Pond mtn. Don't remember mch about it as I didn't stop or stay there.

Tennessee Viking
07-15-2009, 11:04
From Waycaster to the blue blaze junction, there are a couple flat areas next to Laurel Fork. Then if you take the lower trail of the Hampton Blue Blaze, there are several camping spots next to the creek around the cliffs. Or you can stay at the shelter on the Highwater blue blaze.

As for the ascent up Pond Mountain, there isn't really anything until Pond Flats at the top of Pond Mountain. Horseridge Gap is just a really narrow ridge line that connects to Pond Flats. Pond Flats is a fairly large campsite. The spring can be a bit a problem though. Sometimes it runs and other times it doesn't. Also a bear roams Pond Flats and the surrounding areas, so be careful up there. Possum Bill and Cabin Fever maintain Pond Mountain, so they know a little bit better than me.

I would either hold up at Kincora or Braemar Castle, or try to make it to the camp sites around Watauga Lake.

Rowdy Yates
07-15-2009, 15:55
From Waycaster to the blue blaze junction, there are a couple flat areas next to Laurel Fork. Then if you take the lower trail of the Hampton Blue Blaze, there are several camping spots next to the creek around the cliffs. Or you can stay at the shelter on the Highwater blue blaze.

As for the ascent up Pond Mountain, there isn't really anything until Pond Flats at the top of Pond Mountain. Horseridge Gap is just a really narrow ridge line that connects to Pond Flats. Pond Flats is a fairly large campsite. The spring can be a bit a problem though. Sometimes it runs and other times it doesn't. Also a bear roams Pond Flats and the surrounding areas, so be careful up there. Possum Bill and Cabin Fever maintain Pond Mountain, so they know a little bit better than me.

I would either hold up at Kincora or Braemar Castle, or try to make it to the camp sites around Watauga Lake.

:o Thanks TV,
that is the first report I have heard about any bear trouble in that area. I guess we wil just stop at The Laurel Falls Shelter then push for another campsite north of Wautauga Lake. We will be sure to hang our food bag high and well away from the shelter.
The AT Map that I have shows a tenting spot abou 2.5 miles north of Waycaster Springs. That is where we had hoped to go but apparently it isn't there.

Cabin Fever
07-15-2009, 16:46
Bear is rare up there. Rhyming not intentional. Best bet is to sleep by Laurel Fork and then climb up and over Pond in one day. The only downside to camping close to Laurel Fork is the locals. Easy access from Hampton blue blaze which gets lots of traffic. Hardly anybody except section and thru hikers actually go up and over Pond because of the difficulty. Northbound climb is much more difficult than the southbound climb. No water either so load up at Laurel Fork.

Tennessee Viking
07-15-2009, 16:54
:o Thanks TV,
that is the first report I have heard about any bear trouble in that area. I guess we wil just stop at The Laurel Falls Shelter then push for another campsite north of Wautauga Lake. We will be sure to hang our food bag high and well away from the shelter.
The AT Map that I have shows a tenting spot abou 2.5 miles north of Waycaster Springs. That is where we had hoped to go but apparently it isn't there.
I will have to check the guide again. Because that sounds like Horseridge Gap.
If you are heading there soon. Just be prepared to be walking with the tourists and locals. Check around for spots after the falls. There a couple flat spots off trail after before the AT goes up to the shelter blue blaze. Then there are couple possible places around the footbridges.

Last year, a number of SOBOs ran into the bear on Pond Flats down to Laurel Fork. Other than that, the climb going north is the only killer. Walking on your ankles for almost a mile.