PDA

View Full Version : Visa issues

VillagerRFC
07-15-2009, 07:02
Ladies and gents,

A first question from a prospective 2010 or 2011 thru-hiker:

I am from the UK, and a normal holiday visa only lasts 90 days which, with all the will in the world, is too short for a thru-hike.

Checking out the visa regs on the govt. site seems to mean I can stay longer, but only if I got to embassies and fill out form. Embassies on the trail? I don't think so.

Are there any more 'legal aliens' out there who had the same issues and how are they to be overcome? I don't care about cost, I just don't want to end up being arrested on Katahdin!

Responses much appreciated... as will all the subsequent respnses to all the other questions I'll end up having I am sure!

Cheers!

Hooch
07-15-2009, 07:25
I'm pretty sure that the folks from INS won't drop a SWAT team at a road crossing looking for you if you go past your 90 days. The closest you'll probably come to an embassy is the British Embassy in DC (http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/), so that may be of help to you. Whatever happens, best of luck on your thru. :)

VillagerRFC
07-15-2009, 07:31
I'm pretty sure that the folks from INS won't drop a SWAT team at a road crossing looking for you if you go past your 90 days. The closest you'll probably come to an embassy is the British Embassy in DC (http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/), so that may be of help to you. Whatever happens, best of luck on your thru. :)

haha - I am sure they won't! It's a fair point, I could just stay.

But I tried that in South Africa and got deported distressingly quickly and told not to return for a year. Being as i am likely to stay in the USA for double the allotted time... do you or does anyone know of the best way to get an extended visa before I start slapping myself in New england and saying d'oh! a lot?

superman
07-15-2009, 07:43
haha - I am sure they won't! It's a fair point, I could just stay.

But I tried that in South Africa and got deported distressingly quickly and told not to return for a year. Being as i am likely to stay in the USA for double the allotted time... do you or does anyone know of the best way to get an extended visa before I start slapping myself in New england and saying d'oh! a lot?

I think they passed a law that all immagrants have to cross the Reo Grand to come to this country.:) When I hiked in 2000 the fereners were saying that if they were going to exceed the allowed time that all they had to do was go up to Canada and re-enter the US. By the time you would know that you will need more time you will be in VT or NH so it's not a big deal to do that. This information is hearsay.

Hooch
07-15-2009, 08:24
.......Being as i am likely to stay in the USA for double the allotted time, do you or does anyone know of the best way to get an extended visa....... Get in touch with the British embassy when you get here and they can probably set you straight.

cravj1988
07-15-2009, 08:40
In the state of New York, the AT goes through the Appalachian Train Station. There you can ride into New York City, visit your embassy, have some R&R, then ride back out to the trail with extended time.

Suttree
07-15-2009, 09:02
I am certainly no expert on visa issues, but the subject came up often in conversation with Brit/Aussie/Kiwi hikers on the trail this year.

While British citizens can visit the US for a maximum 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program, you are free to apply for a Visitor Visa (B-2) that *may* allow a visit longer than 90 days.

View
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html

I'm told this involves a visit to the US consulate in London and an interview. Much seems to depend on the mood of the consular official and his or her knowledge of the trail :)

Again, I'm not an expert - look to the web or call the us embassy for details.

-ed

Shutterbug
07-15-2009, 11:31
Ladies and gents,

I am from the UK, and a normal holiday visa only lasts 90 days which, with all the will in the world, is too short for a thru-hike.

Checking out the visa regs on the govt. site seems to mean I can stay longer, but only if I got to embassies and fill out form. Embassies on the trail? I don't think so.

Are there any more 'legal aliens' out there who had the same issues and how are they to be overcome? I don't care about cost, I just don't want to end up being arrested on Katahdin!

Responses much appreciated... as will all the subsequent respnses to all the other questions I'll end up having I am sure!

Cheers!

I met a couple of British citizens on the AT a couple of years ago. They had the same problem. Their solution was to leave the trail, fly to Canada for a couple of days, then return to the trail. I visited with them just before they left for Canada, so I don't know if their plan worked or not.

Marta
07-15-2009, 11:52
British Embassy isn't what he'll be needing. It's our people who will be issuing the visas.

Probably not a good idea to overstay your visa (in spite of the fact that millions of people have and do)--you'll end up with a nasty flag attached to your name which will prevent you from coming back to, say, hike the PCT in a couple of years.

An inquiry at the American Embassy in London might be useful. (Though time-consuming and not much fun.) Go armed with supporting documentation about the AT and how long the hike will normally take, and proof that you have the $$$ to make it through the hike without recourse to public funds. The other thing the bureaucrats are often looking for are medical insurance that will cover you while you're in the US, and some sort of ties to the home country which will convince them that you are not trying to sneak in and get a job here. (Marriage certificate, kids' birth certificates, proof that you own a home, letter showing you're going to start at university next year, or whatever)

Good luck!

TD55
07-15-2009, 12:27
British Embassy isn't what he'll be needing. It's our people who will be issuing the visas.

An inquiry at the American Embassy in London might be useful. (Though time-consuming and not much fun.) Go armed with supporting documentation about the AT and how long the hike will normally take, and proof that you have the $$$ to make it through the hike without recourse to public funds. The other thing the bureaucrats are often looking for are medical insurance that will cover you while you're in the US, and some sort of ties to the home country which will convince them that you are not trying to sneak in and get a job here. (Marriage certificate, kids' birth certificates, proof that you own a home, letter showing you're going to start at university next year, or whatever)

Good luck!

Marta's advice is spot on. The only thing I would add is that you write a short but detailed letter explaining your plans and pointing out that you have the funds to carry out your plan. When you ask for an appointment for an interview at the American Embassy, ask if you should mail the letter or bring it with you for the interview. Also, make contact with an insurance company and get a written qoute or some kind of written proof that you have been in contact with them and are prepared to purchase the insurance.

ShelterLeopard
07-15-2009, 13:36
In the state of New York, the AT goes through the Appalachian Train Station. There you can ride into New York City, visit your embassy, have some R&R, then ride back out to the trail with extended time.

I would have said this, or take a train from the Harpers Ferry Station to Washington and go to the Embassy there.

TD55
07-15-2009, 14:20
I would have said this, or take a train from the Harpers Ferry Station to Washington and go to the Embassy there.
When you get to the Embassy you will have to go through the same process as given in Marta's advice. You will not get the extended visa right away. Your application will have to be processed and you will need an address the visa can be mailed to. There is a very good chance you will have to be contacted at that address to return with other documents or to answer questions, in other words, you will need another interview or meeting. It can easily take a month or two for the process. Do yourself a favor and start the process now in the UK by calling the Embassy.

The Weasel
07-15-2009, 16:27
Villager:

You might want to go to my Article in the Articles section, "Law for the Backpacker 101." I think I've dealt with this issue.

You are unlikely to be caught for visa violations, but if you are stopped (after your visa expires) for any reason, it is very possible you will be reported to "ICE" (US Immigration and Customs Enforcement). This can present problems for you then or later if you wish to renew or get a new visa. It is NOT a smart idea to ignore.

I'm not sure where in the UK you are, but you can get some GOOD answers to this at the US State Department website, as well as by contacting either the US Embassy in London or any US Consulate. Those are in Edinborough, Cardiff and Belfast, and possibly other cities. You can call them or visit them.

It's good that you're dealing with this now. Don't take the "take a chance" option. It can be more of a problem than dealing with it now.

The Weasel

Ladies and gents,

Cheers!

The Weasel
07-15-2009, 16:29
A further note: "Going to the Embassy" probably does not refer to going to the UK Embassy in Washington, since its staff can do nothing to extend a visa. "The Embassy" you are hearing about "going to" is the UNITED STATES Embassy that issued your original visa, i.e. London. Call or visit a US Consulate (and look at the websites, which are very good) for more info.

TW

beakerman
07-15-2009, 17:16
You need to address this when you apply for a Visa. you might have to get more than just a tourist visa. I have to deal with visa issues all the time and there are usually longer term visas availible all you have to do is figure out whichone applies to you. the US State Department website should beable to help you decide.

stranger
07-16-2009, 05:14
I've been all around the world and I've immigrated to 2 countries and personally had to deal with American immigration when my now ex-girlfriend tried to obtain a green card years ago. I can't say it was a pleasant experience.

All I would say is speak to someone at US immigration, and I would strongly recommend spending some time outlining all your questions prior to calling so you don't miss anything, and I would call a absolute minimum of 3 times to ensure consistency in their answers.

People will tell you different things, and if you get something wrong it will be your problem not theirs, and the US is not known to be overly efficient in terms of any immigration issue, so I would start this process no later than 6 months before you plan on departing the UK.

The best thing you can do is find others who have gone through the exact process you have gone through, but realize it will change annually, and speak to them personally if possible.

People do it every year so it can't be all that tough.

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-16-2009, 06:55
I'm an Aussie, but the process is the same for the UK.

You will need to get a visa for a stay longer than the 90 days allowed under the Visa Waiver Program. It's not difficult (unless you have a shady past !) but it is a bit of an annoying process, you have to fill out a few forms & then go to the US Consulate for an interview. The visa is valid for either 1 or 5 years (your choice). BUT, the length of time you can actually stay in the US on any one visit is determined by the immigration official at the port of entry. So you can turn up in the US & the guy might decide he only wants to give you 3 months. This is very unlikely though & I have never heard of it happening. They will ask you the reason for your visit, & give you plenty of time. I was given 6 months, which was more than enough for my hike.
Here's the link to the visa info http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

beakerman
07-16-2009, 13:26
I think it is a B2 visa you need...it does not specify the length of visit from what I understand

Frosty
07-16-2009, 15:40
the US is not known to be overly efficient in terms of any immigration issue, so I would start this process no later than 6 months before you plan on departing the UK.It's a heck of a lot more efficient and timely and straightforwad than a lot of other countries.

For hikers, it is hard to understand. "I'm just hiking, what's the big deal?" But for ANY country, immigration IS a big deal. Recognizing this, understanding what the issues are affecting the country you want to visit rather than focusing strictly on what you expect, is a big step toward working with the system. Going in with the attitude that the host country is inefficient or inept or untimely is fun to bitch about, but counter-productive. Focus on your goal and what you need to fulfill that goal, which is the cooperation of the host country.

It is hard for some people to accept that countries don't HAVE to let you in. They can deny entry, or deny an extended visa if you don't satisfy THEIR needs. You can say it depends on how the official felt that day, but they are most likely working on intuition. Something you did, something you said, something you presented, raised a red flag. If they are in doubt, you are the loser, not them. The more you work with them, the more likely you are to get what you want in the end. The burden of proof is on you, not the country you are visiting.

VillagerRFC
07-16-2009, 18:05
People, thanky all for your help.

In all honesty, I was hoping smeone would come with a plausible plan to avoid the 'interview' process.

It appears such a plan does not exist.

But hey, I still have 10 months before... step-off.

So I'll start now. Thanks for the help again.:sun

fiddlehead
07-16-2009, 21:49
Like someone (Marta?) said, you definitely don't want an "overstay" on your record.

I posted a video about a Dutch woman who was jailed for some time and even put in leg irons because of an overstay 10 years before.

Unfortunately, the video is no longer on the "net" but here (http://www.sott.net/articles/show/145536-A-young-blonde-Icelandic-woman-s-recent-experience-visiting-the-US) is the page it was on and you can read the comments, which are very interesting in themselves and you can imagine how bad her ordeal was.

Good luck, if i were you, i would attempt to get a longer visa from the start so you can focus more on your hike than worrying about whether they are going to allow you to stay or not. Just my 2 cents.

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 23:55
Every year there are a fairly significant number of non-American thru hikers on the trail. I would say close to 50-75 individuals. England and Australia are the countries that have the highest number of AT thru hikers.

I would suggest starting with the ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. I believe a lot of folks that come to the US to hike have to give a Point of Contact in the US, in case of emergency. A lot of those folks use the ATC as that POC. Send off an email to ATC with this question and see what they come back with. You cant be the first person to have asked them about it, and I would almost guarantee that they have information about how to make this happen.

I used to live in Atlanta and have picked up a number of foreigners at the airport and transported to the trail. There was only one time that there was an issue with immigrations at the Atlanta airport. The young gentleman (From England) had mistakenly gotten a student visa instead of a vacation visa. Because he couldnt provide them with paperwork showing the university he was going to be attending in the US, they werent going to let him clear customs. It took 4 hrs of talking with the customs agents about what he was going to be attempting before they finally got proper paperwork filled out and released him. It also required ME becoming his Point of Contact for the duration of his hike. The kid emailed me from every town stop the entire way. I got calls every few weeks from some government agency that I provided updates to. It all worked out in the end, but it wasnt a pleasant way for him to start his thru hike.