PDA

View Full Version : Staking Tent

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 08:35
Do you worry about carrying a certain type of stake and is it necessary to stake out your tent while on the AT.

I recently had an experience in FL where an unexpected storm came up with tremendous winds and pulled up my stakes and carried my tent about 20 feet before I caught it. I have since purchased mega stakes but I need a lightweight hardy stake to carry in my pack if there are any suggestions.

mrc237
07-15-2009, 08:42
If wind is expected place large rocks on top of stakes.

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 08:49
I want to add to this question? With as much rain as they have this year on the AT I have been looking a tents with rain protection already as part of the structure vs a separate fly. I like the looks of the MSR One or MSR Too, but they are not free standing. Is staking a concern, I am wondering about getting off somewhere and the ground is to rocky or hard to put a tent that is not free standing. Am I over analyzing just tell me to shut up. LOL.....

mrc237
07-15-2009, 09:03
I own a non-free standing tent. When I need to setup on a platform or a real hardened surface I have tied a 8"X8" (sheetbend) piece of Tyvek to the ends of the guylines I then put a large rock atop the Tyvek and stretch the guy as far as it'll go. Works fine!

mark schofield
07-15-2009, 09:07
a cheap lightweight stake is an aluminum gutter nail. about 8" long with a large head, costs about $.35 at a lumber yard.

Trailweaver
07-15-2009, 09:13
If you're on top of one of the ridges at night, yes, the wind picks up and I always stake out the tent. Tent stakes don't cost as much as a damaged tent.

CowHead
07-15-2009, 09:18
most spots on the AT it's easy to find a one man tent spot without rocks,

skinewmexico
07-15-2009, 12:29
Most any lightweight stake will work if you pitch in a good location. I like the idea bout rocks on the stakes, I'll be using that. And that MSR One (which looks like a knock off of every tunnel tent made) is going to be prone to condensation, since it's single wall. If I was looking at single wall tents, I'd be looking at Tarptent or SMD to save some weight.

Philip
07-15-2009, 12:57
+1 on the gutter spikes. When I first started tent camping I had big problems with bending and mangling the cheap aluminum stakes the tent came with. I switched to gutter spikes and can now camp most anywhere the pitch and soil composition is conducive to sleep. Rocky soil and even wooden platforms are now not an issue. If conditions are extra windy, or if there is snow/deep sand I too put big rocks on top of my stakes and have had not an issue one with keeping my little circus tent planted.

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 13:24
Most any lightweight stake will work if you pitch in a good location. I like the idea bout rocks on the stakes, I'll be using that. And that MSR One (which looks like a knock off of every tunnel tent made) is going to be prone to condensation, since it's single wall. If I was looking at single wall tents, I'd be looking at Tarptent or SMD to save some weight.

Thanks for pointing me towards the Tarptents, I have seen alot of talk about them but have not spent alot of time looking at them. I have a one person tent that is great for kayaking but to heavy to haul around in my pack. I really like the way the rainbow looks, I like something with a bit of a roof am not into anything that makes me feel like I am in a coffin. The weight of them would free up some room, thanks again.

mudcap
07-15-2009, 15:03
I have a couple TarpTents and love them. A lot of room for the weight. I am a big guy so need to be able to move around. I use 2 man TTs and they weigh less than my 1 man tents. Works for me.

mrc237
07-15-2009, 15:44
I also use a Henry Shire Tarptent!

Plodderman
07-15-2009, 16:28
Better to go ahead and stake your your tent and I agree with the gutter nails they work fine but tent stakes themselves are not real expensive at Wally-World anyways.

Franco
07-15-2009, 19:04
The most versatile stakes and the hardest to bend (even for me...) are the Y type like the MSR Groundhog. They have more grip than the nail type in soggy ground.
If largish rocks/logs are not conveniently located next to your tent spot, put lots of smaller ones inside a bag (stuff sack or strong plastic bag) and put that on top of your stake. On rocky ground just jam the stake inside some rocks.
Keep an eye on the Tarptent site.
Franco

skinewmexico
07-15-2009, 19:21
Keep an eye on the Tarptent site.
Franco

Uh oh. Something must be up. Franco knows all the good poop on Tarptents. All I know is my replacement Double Rainbow went in the mail today!!

Franco
07-15-2009, 19:41
Well there are a lot of different shelters and pages to look at there...
Franco

Tinker
07-15-2009, 23:05
Here's the one tent I've seen recently which could get me back on the ground.
http://lightheartgear.com/faq.html
I really like the diamond shape for shedding wind and the fact that the tent is really a double walled tent. You might get some misting of the condensation in heavy rain, but you'd get that with any tent with a mesh ceiling. If you're a hot sleeper like me, it might be ideal. I saw one at Trail Days in Damascus. It's an improved version of the Wanderlust tent. Completely different company, though.

gohawks
07-15-2009, 23:57
My TT Rainbow went back to backcountry gear today.