PDA

View Full Version : Cabin For Sale Near AT & SNP

Skyline
07-15-2009, 11:09
A long-time friend is putting her cabin on the market, and I told her I'd pass the info along because it's the type of property some WBers might be very interested to know about.

Here is the description, based on a public notice I just posted somewhere else:

FOR SALE BY OWNER: Imagine the possibilities! Cabin plus 6.7 mostly wooded acres 3+ miles west of AT via blue-blazed trail, near Shenandoah National Park boundary. Near Lake Morningstar and Luray, VA. In vicinity of two PATC rental cabins: Lambert and Tulip Tree. 900 sq. ft. frame 1.5 story structure, dates to 1920; renovated 30 years ago. 2BR, LR, DR, extra unfinished room. Full kitchen and bath plumbed to 1989 septic/drain field. Spring and small pond on property; seller cash allowance to drill well. Screened porch faces babbling stream. Magnificent woodstove, reclaimed barnwood siding in LR, observation skylight in BR. Electric and phone service. Owner inactive licensed agent. $129,900. Inquire via e-mail: [email protected] ([email protected]).

Personally, I think this property is too far from the AT for consideration as a hostel (tho you never know!). But I've been there, and it would be heaven for anyone looking for a full time or part time residence away from hustle and bustle, within 10-minute walking distance of other trail folks, surrounded by lush woods, a Park stream, trails, a lake, and not too awfully far from town.

There is access to the AT via a PATC-maintained blue-blazed trail, and you can literally drive to the front door from the Valley below via a decent private unpaved road. The structure is almost move-in condition, and the owner is offering a cash allowance off the sales price for drilling a new well (presently water comes from the spring or stream; every other modern convenience is already there).

I'd be happy to answer questions about the property here as best I can. Best advice would be to contact the owner directly via e-mail: [email protected].

World-Wide
07-15-2009, 12:07
Any pictures? I'm currently purchasing a home in Georgia, but actively looking for a reasonably priced vacation home in close proximity of the A.T. Feel free to shoot me P.M. World-Wide

Skyline
07-15-2009, 15:35
Any pictures? I'm currently purchasing a home in Georgia, but actively looking for a reasonably priced vacation home in close proximity of the A.T. Feel free to shoot me P.M. World-Wide

I don't have any photos, but I'm pretty sure the owner does--or at least would take them for you.

Please contact her at [email protected].

You'll be glad you did!

Mrs Baggins
07-15-2009, 20:40
We've emailed her. We'd be very very interested but we want photos and an address so we can get a google earth shot of it to see exactly how it looks from the air.

Skyline
07-20-2009, 15:50
Eight photos and more info about the cabin have now been posted online:

http://www.mvshuttle.com/cabinforsale.html

In the past week, there have been quite a few showing interest in the cabin from the WB community, and other sites where I had posted about this cabin. The owner was having trouble keeping up with the correspondence so I created this webpage for her. Please ignore the M&VSS headers and menu—they are a static part of the website setup and I could not eliminate them.

JaxHiker
07-20-2009, 21:08
You might suggest having larger images available.

generoll
07-21-2009, 19:48
pics are fine. anyone truly interested will actually (gasp) drive up to look for themselves.

Rain Man
07-21-2009, 22:23
Personally, I think this property is too far from the AT for consideration as a hostel (tho you never know!).

The Dutch Haus in Montebello, VA is about 3 miles (?) from the trail and does quite well as a hostel. We stopped off there during a section hike at the end of May/first part of June. I will admit there is a trailhead about a mile from the AT, where you can arrange to be picked up.

Rain:sunMan

Skyline
07-22-2009, 09:45
The Dutch Haus in Montebello, VA is about 3 miles (?) from the trail and does quite well as a hostel. We stopped off there during a section hike at the end of May/first part of June. I will admit there is a trailhead about a mile from the AT, where you can arrange to be picked up.

Rain:sunMan

It could potentially be a small hostel, or at least someone might attempt it. But it is 3+ miles down a hiking trail from the AT. No chance to get a ride. And the same miles uphill to get back to the AT unless the hostel owner wants to provide rides on a long, circuitous road route. Most LD hikers I know would consider that too far.

Also, I wonder if a hostel is even needed in SNP for thru-hikers or LD section hikers. They breeze through here doing big miles more often than not. If one needs a break somewhere there are lodges and restaurants (bring $$$) right beside the AT.

Now, as a private resident in the cabin for sale I would definitely make use of that trail up to the AT (and Skyline Drive) occasionally. It might even be a win-win if I could adopt that trail and maintain it. But that's far different than making it a hostel.

P.S.: The Dutch Haus has a great reputation. Glad you found it.

Shiraz-mataz
07-22-2009, 12:11
I've been researching this piece of property and even talked to the seller. Agreed - it might be a little far off the beaten path through SNP but man, what a neat getaway cabin in the woods! I'm talking to friends looking for investment property with the thought of using the cabin as our own but making it available to tourists in Luray. I doubt it would even break even, but it would be ours!

Skyline
07-22-2009, 15:03
I've been researching this piece of property and even talked to the seller. Agreed - it might be a little far off the beaten path through SNP but man, what a neat getaway cabin in the woods! I'm talking to friends looking for investment property with the thought of using the cabin as our own but making it available to tourists in Luray. I doubt it would even break even, but it would be ours!

A lot of folks buy property like that here. They use it when they want to, and make it available as a tourist rental other times. Pays the bills, builds an improvement fund, and can even make a profit.

If you need help marketing the cabin to tourists, contact me. There are several avenues to travel locally, regionally. I can steer you in the direction of each.

This year, Page County (where Luray is) was designated "Cabin Capital of Virginia" by the State House of Delegates and Senate, along with Gov. Kaine. You and your friends would be timing it just right.

Skyline
service (at) pageprintingconnection (dot) com

BlackCloud
07-25-2009, 21:20
Why isn't the cabin happy PATC buying it, since two other cabins are right close to it???

Skyline
07-26-2009, 14:56
Why isn't the cabin happy PATC buying it, since two other cabins are right close to it???

Don't know. Maybe they will?