PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike in NJ?

Bidwell
07-15-2009, 12:38
Hey all,

Planning on getting on the AT in August... probably in the NJ area. Buddy and I are looking for a 30 mile 3 day hike... any recommendations? We'd be willing to drive to PA or NY if there is a cool area that y'all may have up your sleeves. Thanks!

- Greg

MOWGLI
07-15-2009, 12:45
Hey all,

Planning on getting on the AT in August... probably in the NJ area. Buddy and I are looking for a 30 mile 3 day hike... any recommendations? We'd be willing to drive to PA or NY if there is a cool area that y'all may have up your sleeves. Thanks!

- Greg

You could go from Mohican Outdoor Center to High Point State Park. If you wanted to add an extra 5 or so miles a day to your itinerary, go from Delaware Water Gap to High Point. Since you list yourself as an "ultra runner", you should have no problem doing 45 miles in 3 days in NJ. I did that section in about 27 hours at age 38, and that includes a night's sleep.

Good luck.

fredmugs
07-15-2009, 13:17
If you're doing 30 miles or so DWG to High Point is the section you want to avoid. I'm saying this because I hate rocks and it is very rocky. Do yourself a favor and hike north of High Point.

Bidwell
07-15-2009, 15:59
But I love rocks! Well, I don't love them, but they certainly don't bother me.

I'll consider doing that 45 mile section, actually. I am doing this with a friend (it will be his first time backpacking actually), so I'll ask him about it. Thanks for the recommendations!

MOWGLI
07-15-2009, 16:26
But I love rocks! Well, I don't love them, but they certainly don't bother me.

I'll consider doing that 45 mile section, actually. I am doing this with a friend (it will be his first time backpacking actually), so I'll ask him about it. Thanks for the recommendations!

It's relatively easy, and is significantly more remote than the area north of High Point. I know, because I lived just off the trail in NJ for years.

That's not to say you should gloss over the area north of High Point. There is some pretty stuff there. Especially Bearfort Ridge.

To give you an idea what I did, I left DWG at 1 PM and did 25 miles by 10 PM. I woke up the next day and banged out another 20 to reach High Point SP by 4 PM. And I was practically old enough to be your father at the time. :p Saw 2 bears in that section.

Have fun!

bullseye
07-15-2009, 16:46
Mowgli's right, DWG to High Point is a nice, relatively easy section. The rocks aren't as bad as the same miles south of DWG. You should be in conditon to handle 15 a day, but if you choose, 10 a day should be cake.

Bidwell
07-19-2009, 23:40
Thanks y'all - the verdict is in. We'll be going from High Point to DWG in 3 days. My first hike on the AT in close to a year and a half :)