PDA

View Full Version : tried the mug cooking method

pahillbillybear
07-16-2009, 01:26
Purchased the book Backcountry Cooking. I also purchased one of the really big mugs much like a trucker might carry. I bought the big one because it is big enough for my son and I to eat from. I really believe I could drop a couple pieces of roast, taters, carrots and celery in and have a really great meal. I did try to make some dirty rice (italian sausage, dirty/wild rice, and onion). I tried to use the same amount of water as I would've had I been cooking on the stove. WRONG. Using the stove top most water is lost due to evaperation. I thought the rice would've soaked up more. It didn't. But the rice was greatly softened and cut actual cooking time greatly. Next time, I'll put little more than enough to cover the rice. Buy the book. Good read.

LaurieAnn
07-16-2009, 09:02
Is that the one by Dorcas Miller? I really like Backcountry Gourmet by Linda Frederick Yaffe too.

I measure my food before drying it (put a sticky note in the bag) and then, at camp, I add just a little less water than I would need to equal that measurement. So if I started with two cups of chili and it worked out to three quarters of a cup dried... I would add one cup of boiling water... then I'd add the addition quarter cup only if the chili needed it. I found that covering the food with water usually resulted in watery meals and it is so much easier to add a bit of water than to try and take it away. Draining removes nutrients and flavor and reducing the liquid with heat uses too much fuel.

Hope that helps some.

sarbar
07-16-2009, 15:35
You did use instant rice?

On doing it the insulated mug way, it is very similar to FBC (except in a mug versus a bag and cozy). You will need to let meals sit there for at least 15 minutes once adding in the boiling water, or a bit longer if above say 6,000 feet.

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2009, 15:58
... I would add one cup of boiling water... then I'd add the addition quarter cup only if the chili needed it. I found that covering the food with water usually resulted in watery meals and it is so much easier to add a bit of water than to try and take it away. Draining removes nutrients and flavor and reducing the liquid with heat uses too much fuel.

Hope that helps some.
That sounds like how I do my dinner meals; when cooking my rice (not instant) with my dehydrated veggies/jerky, I always add more water than needed. In other words, I don't try and cook away the water, like at home, instead I cook my trail meals as a stew and yes, the water has much needed nutrients to just throw out.