PDA

View Full Version : Does Gortex need treating ?

jcramin
07-16-2009, 11:40
I have a really nice outer shell made of Gortex I got it for 20 bucks at a garage sale. It belonged to a guy in the military and it saw heavy rain use, but the jacket still looks brand new after several years.

Does it need to be treated for better water resistance ?

Thanks,
J

Ranc0r
07-16-2009, 11:51
Are you experiencing a problem with water resistance, or is the question purely academic?

I've used SportWash when my Gore-tex shell or rainhat get really filthy, and it is supposed to help maintain the water repellancy of Gore-Tex. I'm sure there are other, similar, products available. But if it isn't dirty, and isn't handled and folded a lot, like a hat or gloves, it really won't lose it's ability to shed water from just getting wet. What it loses is breathability, and you end up soaking yourself from the inside, rather than from the rain.

YMMV, HYOH, wash your own clothes.

Ranc0r

wtmntcaretaker
07-16-2009, 11:51
it wouldnt hurt to re waterproof it. I would take it into the shower and test it first though. if it keeps you dry in th shower I dont see why you should worry about it. if you get wet, well, get a spray on water proofing for GTX fabrics. wicked good score on the purchase!

jcramin
07-16-2009, 12:01
purely academic right now. I have only used the jacket twice and both in warm weather so I got wet from perspiration so I dont know if I got wet from the rain too.

jcramin
07-16-2009, 12:04
wicked good score on the purchase!

Thanks, the guy said he paid almost 300 for the jacket. It was before the military issued them so he had to buy his own.

buz
07-16-2009, 14:39
The shower test is good idea. Generally, if you put water on the jacket and it doesn't bead up nice, especially on the shoulder area, re doing the water proofing would help. Or, just since you scored a good deal, wash it, re proof it with your choice of stuff, Nikwax brand, Revivex, etc. and you know it is as good as can be. Cost, maybe $15 more, if you need both right detergent and re proofer. I would just do the thing.

g8trh8tr
07-16-2009, 14:48
Yes I would suggest using Revivex to waterproof the jacket.

jcramin
07-16-2009, 15:51
Thanks for all the info Ill try the shower and see what happens

FamilyGuy
07-16-2009, 16:23
All GTX garments have a DWR outer treatment. Over time - rain, rubbing, washing - the DWR will come off and you will need to retreat the jacket. Note that the DWR makes the water bead. If the water isn't beading you will need to reapply. However, even if it doesn't bead, the GTX will keep you dry (inner layer) even if the outer layer 'wets out.'

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 22:38
I use NickWax's products to retreat my rain jacket, pants, rainfly, and pack cover about once a year. I attribute this to the long life I have gotten out of a lot of my gear. Some of my standard gear went to Maine with me in 97 and is still being used to this day. Hard to replace something that is still very functional and has sentimental value. It also speaks well of the gear I have that it has been able to withstand that amount of duration, getting several hundreds of days/nights worth of use. Take care of your gear, it will take care of you.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-16-2009, 23:05
Which military jacket did you get? I have the Gore-tex ECWCS Parka (Gen 1) and Gore-tex pants.

http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/jacketsus2.htm

They are made of the thickest gore-tex layer I have seen. I use them all winter long here in PA. Not the best breather (I think b/c of the camo material over the gore-tex) but these things will block all wind and water!!! You can sleep in the snow and not get wet...I have washed them one time in ReviveX. I see that they now make an eVent version, I have no idea how they are...

High Life
07-16-2009, 23:09
if the water doesnt bead and it " wets out "
it reduces the breathablity of the garment substantially.

sticks&stones
07-16-2009, 23:11
pores get clogged
wash with mild soap&warm water
no treatment

Hikes with a stick
07-16-2009, 23:30
When you do the shower test, what else do you wear in the shower besides the jacket? :-?

jcramin
07-17-2009, 11:28
It is made by "New King Expedition Outfitter" This was a jacket he had to buy personally when he was stationed in Korea because the military at the time did not supply them.

Which military jacket did you get? I have the Gore-tex ECWCS Parka (Gen 1) and Gore-tex pants.

http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/jacketsus2.htm

They are made of the thickest gore-tex layer I have seen. I use them all winter long here in PA. Not the best breather (I think b/c of the camo material over the gore-tex) but these things will block all wind and water!!! You can sleep in the snow and not get wet...I have washed them one time in ReviveX. I see that they now make an eVent version, I have no idea how they are...

jcramin
07-17-2009, 11:29
Rain pants of course

When you do the shower test, what else do you wear in the shower besides the jacket? :-?

jcramin
07-30-2009, 20:48
Well here in Memphis Tennessee we are having tornados and heavy rain. So I went out with my jacket in the poring rain.... I was out for about 1 minute and when I came in my tshirt across the back of my shoulders all the way from shoulder to shoulder was soaked. So the jacket is defently soaking thru somewhere.

So could the gortex be worn out ? Could it be the seam ???

J

vamelungeon
07-30-2009, 21:03
Wikipedia article on Gore-tex, including how to restore waterproofing-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex

jcramin
07-30-2009, 21:32
Thanks for that info. I know I wasn't wet from sweat since it was poring and it was cool and I wasnt sweating. So I am thinking that I am getting wet thru the seam across my back possibly. I know the DWR does not work anymore since it soaks up water instead of repeling it. So I know I have to reinvigoratedthe DWR. I am going to try the dryer and the iron and see if they work.

jcramin
07-30-2009, 21:36
Is there anything I can to to the seam across the back of my shoulders where I think the water may be coming in ? Or is the jacket a lost cause if water is coming in the seams ?

J

shelterbuilder
07-30-2009, 22:07
Is there anything I can to to the seam across the back of my shoulders where I think the water may be coming in ? Or is the jacket a lost cause if water is coming in the seams ?

J

If you think that the seams are leaking, try seaming them with a good seam-sealer. JUST THE SEAMS. If it still leaks, try hanging it in the shower unzipped with the showerhead spraying the back, and try to see where it's coming in. If it's damage from a crease, you could try sealing that, too, but I don't know how well this would work.

I've always found that if I keep my Gore-tex on for about 30 - 45 minutes after I stop, most of the perspiration will evaporate through the fabric, leaving ME mostly dry. YMMV.