PDA

View Full Version : Duncannon to Boiling Springs July 30th- Aug1

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 12:16
I'll be in PA for some business meetings and it seemed a shame to be "up north" in some cooler weather and not hike on the AT. So I'm thinking on the Afternoon of the 30th park at the Doyle, have a shuttle drop me off at Boiling Springs and hike back to the Doyle by Saturday night. Catch a flight home Sunday.

Any holes in this plan?
Anyone know/reccomend a shuttle provider?
What is the cost to park at the Doyle, is it allowed/safe?
Campsites north of Boiling Springs?
Whats the water situation?

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 12:21
You have a nice long walk before you reach the first legal campsite north of Boiling Springs. I suggest you get an early start on the day. That valley walk was a highlight of my hike. YMMV

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 12:30
You have a nice long walk before you reach the first legal campsite north of Boiling Springs. I suggest you get an early start on the day. That valley walk was a highlight of my hike. YMMV

That might be a problem. My meetings wrapup ~noon, then its 150 miles just to Duncannon. Then the shuttle ride. 4-6pm might be the earliest I see the trail.

dzierzak
07-16-2009, 12:34
Larry in Duncannon does rides for donations. 717-877-1091 - fairly sure this is correct. Check the bulletin board at the Doyle to confirm.

First shelter north of BS is Darlington, about 14 miles. Water available at BS ATC office and at Scott Farm about 10 miles north. The spring at Darlington had water last month (6/22). Don't know how it would be now.

From there, Duncannon is about 12. Cove Mtn shelter, and spring, is about 7 miles north of Darlington shelter, but way, way downhill. Nice hike.

emerald
07-16-2009, 12:36
A recent report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52315) here by 10-K who just hiked Pennsylvania southbound indicated natural water sources were adequate, maybe better than typical for this time of year.

Looks like the AT counties north of Susquehanna River have had more rain (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_mtd_color.htm) this month. Conditions lately have reminded me more of Maine summer weather with cooler than normal temperatures, clear skies, lower humidity and many a pretty sunset. Better hiking weather than usual where I live for sure.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-16-2009, 12:36
I was at Darlington Shelter last night. Spring is dry but there is good water 1mi S as you come up Blue Mtn from PA 944.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/8/picture_127_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35213&c=member&imageuser=11898)

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 12:40
First shelter north of BS is Darlington, about 14 miles.

...Nice hike.

Is it shelter camping only? Are there not any tentsites between there and BS?

dzierzak
07-16-2009, 12:40
Yeah, forgot that. Right around where the wrecked vehicle is...:eek:

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 12:43
Is there a hiker box at the Doyle? Hate to buy canister fuel and just trash it. If there's a HB I could just get a partial can or any denatured alchohol (prob bring both stoves).

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 12:44
That might be a problem. My meetings wrapup ~noon, then its 150 miles just to Duncannon. Then the shuttle ride. 4-6pm might be the earliest I see the trail.

If you could hit the trail by 4 PM, and don't mind night hiking a bit, you could probably hit the shelter by 10 PM. Maybe earlier if you are in good shape. It is as easy a 14 mile stretch as you'll find on the trail.

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 12:59
Yeah but that leaves me just 10 miles for the next 2 days. Might be better to go SOBO.

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 13:05
Hmm, how about SOBO from
1,007.6 Pa. 443, Green Point, Pa.
stopping the 1st night @
1,012.2 Rausch Gap Shelter…
2nd night
1,029.7 Peters Mtn Shelter…
then ending at the Doyle?

emerald
07-16-2009, 13:41
If you want to hike SOBO from Swatara Gap into Duncannon, park at a secure location there, get a shuttle to Swatara State Park and hike back to your car.

You'd be hiking mostly on Pennsylvania State Game Lands (SGL). See About PGC (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=481&q=151287&pgcNav=|) and Pennsylvania Through Hiker? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51666) for more information.

You indicated a preference earlier for tenting. Rausch Gap Shelter is more than 200 feet from the AT and may be used only by through hikers travelling more than 25 miles. Therefore, it would be available for your use provided it's not reached its capacity when you arrive.

Tenting or hammocking in the general vicinity of the shelter is not permitted according to PGC's special use permit. If it's reached capacity when you arrive (my best guess is there will be space for you), you could simply get water and return to within 200 feet of the AT and find a suitable location to camp.

flemdawg1
07-16-2009, 15:18
Coolio. Just got the green light from my wife. (I didn't ask permission, just made sure it was cool w/ her.)

Hike on!

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 15:39
Just got the green light from my wife. (I didn't ask permission, just made sure it was cool w/ her.)

Semantics :p Have fun!

Lil Hipo
07-16-2009, 15:43
If you start at the Doyle, Trailangel Mary may shuttle you to Boiling Springs (for a donation?) You might want to PM her.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-16-2009, 20:00
I think 443 > Duncannon is a much nicer hike than Duncannon > Boiling Springs. Both the Rausch Gap & Peter's Mtn Shelters are very nice. I was at Peter's Mtn about 2 weeks ago and the spring was flowing. I haven't been to Rausch Gap lately but I can say that the only time I haven't been able to get water from the nice pipe/trough there was when it was frozen in winter.

emerald
07-16-2009, 20:18
Would like to see photos of the same quality you posted earlier today of the two shelters just mentioned. You should add some to WhiteBlaze's gallery when you can.

Hoop Time
07-16-2009, 21:33
What about going from someplace like PA 94 to Duncannon as an option? You could go to the campsite below Boiling Springs the first night, then have a full day to go to Darlington or Cove, then on into Duncannon.

As for shuttles, I am off the 30th. My basketball team is in the keystone State Games that weekend, and I don't know if we will play Friday yet. But if we don't play until Saturday, I'd be glad to give you a lift. Not sure when we will get the schedule. Probably not until the week of the tournament. But if you want to PM me a reminder so I don't forget, I can let you know if it will work.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-16-2009, 22:01
If you want to hike SOBO from Swatara Gap into Duncannon, park at a secure location there, get a shuttle to Swatara State Park and hike back to your car.

You'd be hiking mostly on Pennsylvania State Game Lands (SGL). See About PGC (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=481&q=151287&pgcNav=|) and Pennsylvania Through Hiker? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51666) for more information.

You indicated a preference earlier for tenting. Rausch Gap Shelter is more than 200 feet from the AT and may be used only by through hikers travelling more than 25 miles. Therefore, it would be available for your use provided it's not reached its capacity when you arrive.

Tenting or hammocking in the general vicinity of the shelter is not permitted according to PGC's special use permit. If it's reached capacity when you arrive (my best guess is there will be space for you), you could simply get water and return to within 200 feet of the AT and find a suitable location to camp.

The best tent/hammock sites are near the turn-off to the Rausch Gap Shelter on the other side of Rausch Creek. Well within 200ft of the AT but also well within "500 feet of a spring, stream or public access area"...if for some reason the shelter is full, its not easy to legally camp close to the shelter b/c Rausch Creek Runs parallel to the AT all the way through the gap from the limestone well.

emerald
07-16-2009, 22:54
It would be helpful if we could provide the nearest legal campsite to Rausch Gap Shelter or at least the general area where one would be most apt to find a suitable location.

I'm soliciting recommendations and will ask around and do a bit of research myself next time I'm out there. Maybe the thread starter can help us out?

Nasty Dog Virus
07-16-2009, 23:27
It would be helpful if we could provide the nearest legal campsite to Rausch Gap Shelter or at least the general area where one would be most apt to find a suitable location.

I'm soliciting recommendations and will try to ask around and do a bit of research myself next time I'm out there. Maybe the thread starter can help us out?

That is a good question...the AT is within 500ft of a stream for at least 3mi heading S from Rausch Gap Shelter and I'd say at least 1mi heading N from the shelter until you get on 2nd Mtn. Hard to stay 200ft from the AT but more than 500ft from a stream in this section :-? I may dayhike in next week on the Sand Spring Trail. If so, I'll see if I can find a legal established tent site.

flemdawg1
07-17-2009, 12:50
Cool, SOBO definately sounds like the better plan for my timetable (late 1st day start). So whats the bear, vermin and bug situation? Thinking of tarping and should I need plan to bear bag my food? Are the bugs bad this time of year? Is so, tent, deet, permethrin?

emerald
07-17-2009, 13:46
So what's the bear, vermin and bug situation? Thinking of tarping and should I plan to bear bag my food?

Living with Pennsylvania's black bears (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/blackbear/pdf/blakbear.pdf) (*.pdf 267KB)

According to PGC, St. Anthony's Wilderness is where northbound AT through hikers enter an area of higher bear density. There was an issue there last year I believe with a nuisance bear which needed to be relocated.

You're not likely to have the kind of problems more apt occur where bears are not hunted, but you should still be prepared and know how to handle yourself in the event of a bear encounter.

emerald
07-17-2009, 14:10
Rattlesnakes in Pennsylvania's state forests (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx)

Wags
07-17-2009, 20:18
i've been on the section from rt 81- rt 183 for the past 4 weeks doing some work. the bugs were not a factor until this past week. noseeums were awful. mosquitos tolerable. i'd recommend netting in my shelter (i hammock). water is reliable at 501 (spigot) and william penn shelter (pipe)

saw a copperhead 3 weeks ago, and saw a note on the trail at one of the lookouts that 2 different people saw snakes on 2 different days. they are out there

my food hasn't been bothered yet

Nasty Dog Virus
08-02-2009, 09:49
Hmm, how about SOBO from
1,007.6 Pa. 443, Green Point, Pa.
stopping the 1st night @
1,012.2 Rausch Gap Shelter…
2nd night
1,029.7 Peters Mtn Shelter…
then ending at the Doyle?

Nice meeting you at The Doyle last night. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the section from Swatara > Duncannon. Funny to think that we might have crossed paths 13 years ago on the USS Enterprise. :D Have a safe trip back to Bama and drop me a line if you get back up this way and want to do some hiking...

flemdawg1
08-02-2009, 19:50
Nice meeting you at The Doyle last night. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the section from Swatara > Duncannon. Funny to think that we might have crossed paths 13 years ago on the USS Enterprise. :D Have a safe trip back to Bama and drop me a line if you get back up this way and want to do some hiking...

Nice meeting you too NDV. Looks like I missed most of the party napping in the room.

Nasty Dog Virus
08-03-2009, 00:14
Nice meeting you too NDV. Looks like I missed most of the party napping in the room.

Not much of a party. Tasty Tröegs on tap as always :)
You did miss Vickey telling an interesting story about the only "official" rule in the Doyle....NO DONUT HOCKEY!

10-K
08-10-2009, 10:49
Rattlesnakes in Pennsylvania's state forests (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx)

I may be the only person who hiked through PA this summer and didn't see a rattlesnake. :(

I did see a bear though...and got a good picture of it before it ran off.

dzierzak
08-10-2009, 11:53
Harpers Ferry to Duncannon in late June - the only snake was a Black snake between Darlington and Duncannon.