PDA

View Full Version : Any dog lover's want four-months of Newfoundland?

Petr
07-16-2009, 17:27
This is probably a long shot, but would anyone enjoy dog-sitting my Newfoundland while I attempt a thru? And, if you don't think it's a long shot, have you ever spent 10 minutes with a newfie?

My parents are very reluctantly willing to take him; their reluctance is mostly due to the buckets of drool and piles of hair that come along with him. But, if they have to, they will. I'm kind of hoping someone who has had a Newf in the past and misses him/her or someone who is thinking about getting a Newf and wants to do a trial run might actually want to take care of him.

Details: I'm in Detroit and happy to drive a reasonable distance to get him somewhere where he'll be well taken care of. I'm leaving the last week of January and will absolutely, no matter what, be back in the middle of June. I can't pay any meaningful amount, but I will of course provide for expenses such as food or any vet issues. My newf, Moose, is generally well-behaved, but his size makes his few transgressions rather irritating.

Pros:

1. He is totally house-trained.
2. Can hold his bladder/bowel comfortably for about 14 hours
3. Does not chew furniture
4. Great with other dogs, big or tiny
5. If you can put up with what follows below, he really is pretty lovable.

Cons:

1. He WILL jump up and lick the face of any new person he meets. He will do this once and then (probably) never again. If you manage to somehow prevent this from happening, he will wait until you're not paying attention, and then pounce on his unsuspecting prey. Cute if you're comfortable with 140-pound animals jumping at your face and making your shirt all dirty; in other words...not cute. The only success that I've had is with new people who like dogs and aren't squeamish about giving one gentle smack to his muzzle...this confuses him for about 5 seconds, then he sneezes and walks away.

2. Let's say you've gone for a run in the hot summer sun and you come into the house sweaty and aromatic...this might make Moose feel a little libidinous:o. You've been warned.

3. Drool and hair. More than you can imagine.

Anyway, if anybody out there with mental issues still thinks this sounds like fun, comment below or PM me.

Happy Hiking,

Peter

P.S. It would only be the big dog in the pic...not the little one.

Lilred
07-16-2009, 18:03
He's ADORABLE, but sorry.

Petr
07-16-2009, 18:07
No apologies necessary. I'm often confused as to why I put up with him. You are right, though: he is adorable.

Ender
07-16-2009, 18:25
Looks like a Landseer Newfie... cute dog, wish I could take him but I can't. I'm sure you'll find a great home for him though!

bigcranky
07-16-2009, 18:26
Cute dog. I like newfies. We had Aussies, so our experience with dog hair is memorable. Too memorable in fact to make me want to babysit a newfie for six months, but I do sympathize. Good luck.

Speakeasy
07-16-2009, 20:41
What a great looking dog. I feel for you - I'm planning a thru hike next March and my biggest logistical issue has been finding a home for my 2 dogs, a rescue Greyhound and an Italian Greyhound. No problem with the Greyhound because we have a pretty significant and supportive adoptive community but the Italian Greyhound has been a challenge. I finally reached out to an IG rescue organization and found a woman willing to foster her for 4 or 5 months. To the tune of $300/month. It's a lot of money but I feel good knowing she's in a loving home and in the company of other crazy Italian Greyhounds:D

I wish you the best of luck...Too bad we can't take our furry (in your case very furry) friends with us:mad:

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 21:34
Petr, keep me posted on your search. I cant commit to anything right now, but maybe closer to Christmas, I will be able to help you out. Hopefully, you will find a loving home for newfie by then and it wont be a concern.

The logistics would work out nicely, as you are likely going to be coming through Knoxville to start the trail, and I have family that I go to Mich to visit every summer.

At this time, temporarily pencil me in, but continue looking.

The Mechanical Man
07-16-2009, 22:01
This is probably a long shot, but would anyone enjoy dog-sitting my Newfoundland while I attempt a thru? And, if you don't think it's a long shot, have you ever spent 10 minutes with a newfie?

My parents are very reluctantly willing to take him; their reluctance is mostly due to the buckets of drool and piles of hair that come along with him. But, if they have to, they will. I'm kind of hoping someone who has had a Newf in the past and misses him/her or someone who is thinking about getting a Newf and wants to do a trial run might actually want to take care of him.

Details: I'm in Detroit and happy to drive a reasonable distance to get him somewhere where he'll be well taken care of. I'm leaving the last week of January and will absolutely, no matter what, be back in the middle of June. I can't pay any meaningful amount, but I will of course provide for expenses such as food or any vet issues. My newf, Moose, is generally well-behaved, but his size makes his few transgressions rather irritating.

Pros:

1. He is totally house-trained.
2. Can hold his bladder/bowel comfortably for about 14 hours
3. Does not chew furniture
4. Great with other dogs, big or tiny
5. If you can put up with what follows below, he really is pretty lovable.

Cons:

1. He WILL jump up and lick the face of any new person he meets. He will do this once and then (probably) never again. If you manage to somehow prevent this from happening, he will wait until you're not paying attention, and then pounce on his unsuspecting prey. Cute if you're comfortable with 140-pound animals jumping at your face and making your shirt all dirty; in other words...not cute. The only success that I've had is with new people who like dogs and aren't squeamish about giving one gentle smack to his muzzle...this confuses him for about 5 seconds, then he sneezes and walks away.

2. Let's say you've gone for a run in the hot summer sun and you come into the house sweaty and aromatic...this might make Moose feel a little libidinous:o. You've been warned.

3. Drool and hair. More than you can imagine.

Anyway, if anybody out there with mental issues still thinks this sounds like fun, comment below or PM me.

Happy Hiking,

Peter

P.S. It would only be the big dog in the pic...not the little one.

My wife and I were paying $500.00 dollars a month for daycare for our son, before I retired.

What are you willing to pay a month for quality care, for your "baby"? :-?

Petr
07-16-2009, 22:29
My wife and I were paying $500.00 dollars a month for daycare for our son, before I retired.

What are you willing to pay a month for quality care, for your "baby"? :-?

Frankly, not a whole lot, if anything. Believe me, I appreciate the time and effort that taking truly good care of my "baby" is worth, but I already have an option that would cost me nothing, dollar-wise. My motivation in posting was to find a person/people that would be enthusiastic in having a newfie for the the sake of having a newfie, because a) I'm over a 100 grand in debt and currently have zero assets:), b) if my parents aren't crazy about having him on their hands than I'd rather not put that upon them, and c) I think someone who selflessly volunteers to take on such a burden would probably take better care of him than someone looking to make a buck.

If you're trying to imply that I'm looking for the cheapest way out, that may be partially true, but I think that the tone of my original post and my response to an earlier reply is evidence enough that I'm not simply trying to save a buck and thrust my responsibility on a random, anonymous Whiteblaze member. Rather, I'm investigating whether or not there might be a reliable person out there who feels they would benefit enough from the pleasures of having a pet that would make the hassle worth it (and in the process do me a huge favor).

Petr
07-16-2009, 22:32
Thank you, Ox. I'll touch base with you in a few months and see how things are going. Obviously, I'm not holding you to anything, but your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Petr, keep me posted on your search. I cant commit to anything right now, but maybe closer to Christmas, I will be able to help you out. Hopefully, you will find a loving home for newfie by then and it wont be a concern.

The logistics would work out nicely, as you are likely going to be coming through Knoxville to start the trail, and I have family that I go to Mich to visit every summer.

At this time, temporarily pencil me in, but continue looking.

Petr
07-16-2009, 22:36
Cute dog. I like newfies. We had Aussies, so our experience with dog hair is memorable. Too memorable in fact to make me want to babysit a newfie for six months, but I do sympathize. Good luck.

Thanks. I understand completely. Check out what 3.5 weeks with no sweeping will net you:

Petr
07-16-2009, 22:37
Oops...that last pic will probably discourage any more offers of aid.

The Mechanical Man
07-16-2009, 22:42
Frankly, not a whole lot, if anything. Believe me, I appreciate the time and effort that taking truly good care of my "baby" is worth, but I already have an option that would cost me nothing, dollar-wise. My motivation in posting was to find a person/people that would be enthusiastic in having a newfie for the the sake of having a newfie, because a) I'm over a 100 grand in debt and currently have zero assets:), b) if my parents aren't crazy about having him on their hands than I'd rather not put that upon them, and c) I think someone who selflessly volunteers to take on such a burden would probably take better care of him than someone looking to make a buck.

If you're trying to imply that I'm looking for the cheapest way out, that may be partially true, but I think that the tone of my original post and my response to an earlier reply is evidence enough that I'm not simply trying to save a buck and thrust my responsibility on a random, anonymous Whiteblaze member. Rather, I'm investigating whether or not there might be a reliable person out there who feels they would benefit enough from the pleasures of having a pet that would make the hassle worth it (and in the process do me a huge favor).

You were asking for a dog sitter in your first post, but you really want - need, someone to adopt the dog. That wasn't so hard.

Why didn't you just say that? :-?

Petr
07-16-2009, 22:49
You were asking for a dog sitter in your first post, but you really want - need, someone to adopt the dog. That wasn't so hard.

Why didn't you just say that? :-?

Well, no. A dog adoption implies permanence. It seems that the first several replies on this thread understood this. And, as I said less than 5 minutes ago, I am not in a position of need. I have an alternative.:-?;):-? Additionally, in my original post I clearly stated that I was not able/willing to pay a fee. If you read this, perhaps you could have saved not only the effort of a clearly unhelpful initial post but an additional useless post as well. Comprehension of the written word is a valuable skill.

ed bell
07-16-2009, 23:15
Saying that you are a hundred grand in debt with no assets; that your parents don't want to take care of your extra large dog, but will if given no choice:-?; that you can't pay anything meaningful beyond vet and food cost (up front? extra in case of emergency?); and you are leaving in Jan. for a thru-hike, isn't exactly a good pitch to receive charity.

BTW, you are in a position of need if you want to keep the dog. I hope you find a good solution for both of you.

The Mechanical Man
07-16-2009, 23:21
Well, no. A dog adoption implies permanence. It seems that the first several replies on this thread understood this. And, as I said less than 5 minutes ago, I am not in a position of need. I have an alternative.:-?;):-? Additionally, in my original post I clearly stated that I was not able/willing to pay a fee. If you read this, perhaps you could have saved not only the effort of a clearly unhelpful initial post but an additional useless post as well. Comprehension of the written word is a valuable skill.

In that case, no thanks, ........but I am still glad I asked, for your dogs sake. Good luck with that.

Stop down at our place during your hike, IF you get to Smith Gap Pa. :welcome

Petr
07-16-2009, 23:41
I appreciate your points.

In order:

1. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the debt. I was trying to justify the financial side of things which isn't really my main motivation in finding someone to care for my pet. If it matters, it is "good" debt and a debt that I have no doubt that I will be willing and able to pay off. I invested a lot of money in my future, as opposed to buying a house with no income, or ringing up a bunch of credit card debt, or anything similar. Mentioning it was a dramatic response to a random internet taunt and I should know better, but that debt is not indicative of my degree of responsibility.

2. I mentioned my parents' reluctance in an effort to convey the commitment and PITA that taking care of a newfie entails. They were gung-ho about taking care of him when they knew him as my dog, but I recently left him with them for a week (for the first time in 4 years) and they were a bit overwhelmed (and they have a labrador). I was trying to dissuade any kind folks who didn't know what they were signing up for from offering help.

3. I addressed this earlier, but I will again. I don't want to pay someone to watch my dog because I have a *free* alternative and I believe someone who wants to take care of my dog will do a better job. Furthermore, I could requisition the funds needed to pay someone, but I already feel like I'm spending money I haven't earned, because my current income is from loans and grants. And yes, I will provide food money up front and a buffer for possible vet expenses.

4. I'm not sure what you meant about leaving in January. I know that it is unorthodox and perhaps means that my chances of successfully thru-hiking are less than average. I am finishing my training in late January and my chosen profession happens to have all of it's jobs start July 1 (with maybe a week or two of orientation beforehand). I've worked extremely hard to carve out this time to attempt to do this and it is what it is. I don't have any other options that I'm willing to pursue.

5. I am not in a position of need if I want to keep the dog. I've already found a home for my (really really really beloved) pet that I am confident that he'll be well cared for. I'm just sending out a feeler for any situations that are better.

Again, Ed, I read quite a bit on this site and I respect your opinions. I'm simply trying to convey where I'm coming from.

Peter

Saying that you are a hundred grand in debt with no assets; that your parents don't want to take care of your extra large dog, but will if given no choice:-?; that you can't pay anything meaningful beyond vet and food cost (up front? extra in case of emergency?); and you are leaving in Jan. for a thru-hike, isn't exactly a good pitch to receive charity.

BTW, you are in a position of need if you want to keep the dog. I hope you find a good solution for both of you.

Petr
07-16-2009, 23:44
In that case, no thanks, ........but I am still glad I asked, for your dogs sake. Good luck with that.

Stop down at our place during your hike, IF you get to Smith Gap Pa. :welcome

Frankly, I'm not sure how much of that was conciliatory and how much was sarcastic, but either way I'd always rather meet a real human than argue with one on the internet. Don't be surprised if I look you up around April/May next year.

Peter

ed bell
07-16-2009, 23:50
Peter,
Thanks for the clarification. I just want it to work out for you and you answered some loose ends. I didn't mean anything by mentioning your Jan. start other than the fact that you are scheduled to depart. I wish you good luck and that is one cute big dog!

ed

fancyfeet
07-17-2009, 00:47
While I can't offer any help, I just want to say that I want to give your dog a great big hug. Looks like a huge, lovable baby.

The Mechanical Man
07-17-2009, 02:52
Frankly, I'm not sure how much of that was conciliatory and how much was sarcastic, but either way I'd always rather meet a real human than argue with one on the internet. Don't be surprised if I look you up around April/May next year.

Peter

Peter,
If you are not sure of alot of things at this time in your life, that's OK.

My wife and I have been hiking the AT since 1984, our dogs have hiked along with us, from New Hampshire to Tennessee on the AT.
We have been living at Smith Gap, and helping hikers for 20+ years, not much surprises us anymore.

Have you even considered hiking the AT, WITH your dog?
FYI, .....The largest dog on record to hike the AT stopped here at our place on the way, he was a Great Dane, and his name was JAKE. It can be done responsibly.

While on your AT hike, IF you ever actually do make it to Smith Gap Pa, you are welcome with or without your dog.
But only visit with us, If you can behave yourself better in real life, than on the internet. :)

Only Pets, and "responsible" owners are welcome here.

Cassie
07-17-2009, 04:13
Wow, great dog, what a cutie! Can't help but I hope you find someone who can.

TOW
07-17-2009, 05:16
I am sure if I had a Newfie from the time it was born, or shortly there after, like I have had my Gereman Spitzer Sally-girl I would love it like I do her. But man truly I don't think I would want to have to clean that mess up daily, but then again I never thought I would get cats and here I have two little kittens and I clean that darn litter box up everyday..........one of them is slightly mentally retarded or it just is plain human in a cats body......

Petr
07-17-2009, 14:01
Peter,
If you are not sure of alot of things at this time in your life, that's OK.

My wife and I have been hiking the AT since 1984, our dogs have hiked along with us, from New Hampshire to Tennessee on the AT.
We have been living at Smith Gap, and helping hikers for 20+ years, not much surprises us anymore.

Have you even considered hiking the AT, WITH your dog?
FYI, .....The largest dog on record to hike the AT stopped here at our place on the way, he was a Great Dane, and his name was JAKE. It can be done responsibly.

While on your AT hike, IF you ever actually do make it to Smith Gap Pa, you are welcome with or without your dog.
But only visit with us, If you can behave yourself better in real life, than on the internet. :)

Only Pets, and "responsible" owners are welcome here.

I'd love to bring him: he'd keep me warm at night. Unfortunately, newfs are built for power not stamina. If it's warmer than 60 degrees, he'll slow to a crawl after about 6 blocks. If it's below freezing and there's enough snow to eat, he'll walk for about 2 hours before he's pooped. Either way, that just ain't gonna get it done.

I fail to see where I've misbehaved, and in general tend to be rather friendly in my posts. Perhaps I was a little aggressive in my first reply, but something about this little guy -:-?- just bugs the hell out of me. It's a condescending and self-important little cartoon. It implies that the writer is pointing something out that the reader is too small-minded to have considered, and it pops up before the reader has a chance to retort. I'd rather see a big middle finger icon in a post about me, because that'd at least be direct. If you're going to write condescending things like, "If you are not sure of alot of things at this time in your life, that's OK" and throw :-? at me, in real life or on the internet, I'm liable to get a bit prickly. If I get to Smith Gap, I'll buy you a beer and we can converse like gentlemen.

I'm officially off on a tangent here, and I might just be hijacking my own thread, but does anybody else have an irrational dislike of my nemesis, :-?. Or any of the other stupid little icons?

Blissful
07-17-2009, 14:48
We were very grateful for our neighbors and also my dad who took care of our beagle off and on. She shed quite a bit too, but she was an outdoor dog, so it worked out. Brushing consistently every day can help reduce the problem also.
Hope it works out for you.

Kerosene
07-18-2009, 00:30
We're less than an hour west on I-94 from you. I tried to get my wife to bring in a playmate for our 6-year old female Golden, but somehow she couldn't get by the 140 pounds and mountains of hair. I guess I understand her point of view, as she can't even handle our 50-lb dog, but it would be a hoot to host a dog that big!

She did say that Moose has lovely eyes, however, after which I warned her that saying so might trigger his libidinous nature! Best of luck finding a place for your big guy.

Petr
07-18-2009, 10:20
Yup, I know that little town an hour West of me well. I spent six years there, but I'm more of a 696 --> 275 --> M-14 guy. You may recall that we exchanged PM's a few months back where I was asking you about the best places to hike around here.

Anyway, can't say that I blame your wife. I dog sit for my parents and friends all the time, and you'd think that if you've already got one, a second dog isn't too much more work. Not necessarily true. For example, my parents' dog Finn eats in the morning, then goes out. The opposite is true for Moose. Both of them will eat each others' food if they get the chance, so my mornings turn into an elaborate dance involving much opening and closing of doors and uttering of oaths. Don't get me started on the double-dog walk.

Oh, and if you live downtown, I hope you're surviving the art fair. I used to go to the grocery store before it started, buy rations, and lock myself in my apartment until it was over. It was too maddening to try to go anywhere.

Peter

HIKERJEN
07-18-2009, 12:16
Petr,
I know this is completely off- topic, and I really dont want to seem like an a**, but I am genuinely curious, and since you mentioned it, I just wonder how someone who is 100k in debt can take off 5-6 months from work to hike? Isn't the interest on all that debt climbing higher & higher each month? If it was me, I'd be working 2 jobs to try to lower my debt. Again, I don't mean to judge or criticize you, just curious. Your dog is adorable ! I have a hairy dog too, so I can sympathize w/ all the hairballs around the house!

bigcranky
07-18-2009, 14:31
I don't want to speak for Petr because I have no idea of his situation, but I have known a couple of medical students who were able to take significant time off between med school and starting a residency (by finishing early.) I suspect they had a fair amount of debt....

Petr
07-19-2009, 12:10
Big Cranky nailed it.

I suppose you're right, though. I could finish early and work 80 hours a week at a couple jobs and make a dent in my debt. On the other hand, I just burned off a large chunk of my twenties paying 30 grand a year to have the privilege of putting in 80 hour weeks at the hospital.

Given the pattern of my lifetime earnings (up to now=hugely negative, for the 5-7 years of residency=about the same as a high school teacher, after residency=more than anybody really needs), my thought is that the "opportunity cost" (~a term used in cost-benefit analysis which describes value lost by not doing something else) in this case is the value lost by not working two low-level, low paying jobs instead of hiking. Let's say after rent and bills I could pay off 6 grand in 5 months. That's nice.

Now, the opportunity cost of me taking 5 months off later in my career would be walking away from a mid-six figures job that I care about, and potentially a wife/family. I'd make more in two weeks than than I would in 5 months now. Basically, my time will be much more "valuable" later, much more so than any accrued interest. I figure that I should take those 5 months now while my time is cheap.

So, that's my rationale. That, and my @ss is burned out.;)

HIKERJEN
07-19-2009, 16:09
Aha! Now I understand! I thought maybe you'd been partying hard the last few years racking up tons of credit card debt ! Congrats on finishing med school ! You've certainly earned a break- have a great thru-hike!

berninbush
07-19-2009, 19:18
I just talked to a friend who has been wanting a Newfie for a while now. She might possibly be interested in keeping yours. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss. :)

Petr
07-19-2009, 20:33
Thanks Berninbush. PM received.

And thanks for the well-wishing Jen. I aim to have a wonderful time.

Peter

Alli
07-26-2009, 00:30
Big Cranky nailed it.

I suppose you're right, though. I could finish early and work 80 hours a week at a couple jobs and make a dent in my debt. On the other hand, I just burned off a large chunk of my twenties paying 30 grand a year to have the privilege of putting in 80 hour weeks at the hospital.

Given the pattern of my lifetime earnings (up to now=hugely negative, for the 5-7 years of residency=about the same as a high school teacher, after residency=more than anybody really needs), my thought is that the "opportunity cost" (~a term used in cost-benefit analysis which describes value lost by not doing something else) in this case is the value lost by not working two low-level, low paying jobs instead of hiking. Let's say after rent and bills I could pay off 6 grand in 5 months. That's nice.

Now, the opportunity cost of me taking 5 months off later in my career would be walking away from a mid-six figures job that I care about, and potentially a wife/family. I'd make more in two weeks than than I would in 5 months now. Basically, my time will be much more "valuable" later, much more so than any accrued interest. I figure that I should take those 5 months now while my time is cheap.

So, that's my rationale. That, and my @ss is burned out.;)

Congratulations on graduating, Doctor. :)

cowboy nichols
07-26-2009, 10:54
Big Cranky nailed it.

So, that's my rationale. That, and my @ss is burned out.;) Congradulations. I think your plans are fine.If you put off your hike life has a way of always putting something in the way . I speak from experience, I'm still trying to get the whole AT in one trip. Have a great hike!!