PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin's knife edge, Just how difficult?

Jay B.
07-16-2009, 21:36
I am planning a trip to Maine in early September to go up Katahdin and would like to get some info on the AT up to Katahdin and also "The Knife Edge". Is the knife edge something a non technical climber should try? Do most section and thru hikers hike it or do they follow the white blazes to the top? Thanks for any information you can provide. Jay B.

Slo-go'en
07-16-2009, 21:53
The Knife edge isn't real difficult, but there is some rock scrambling to do here and there. Only do it if the weather is perfict, there are some narrow sections with 1000 foot drop offs on either side. It is best done as a loop from the Chimeny pond side, otherwise, you'll have to do it twice. Once over and then back. By the time you get to the other side, you probably don't want to go back again!

fiddlehead
07-16-2009, 22:03
Many people go up to Katahdin (or down) via the knife edge on a calm day.

Weather is so important on this choice.
When rain/sleet/snow/ice, is present, I wouldn't try it.

When it's a nice day and weather forcecast is good, i'd definitely take it. It is the most scenic way down (or up)

I would recommend you go up from the Chimney pond trail and then make your decision at the top.

The biggest problem is the steepness of the edge and what might happen in case of a fall at a few spots.
It is one of those places where it may not be advisable to look down sometimes.

But, if you pick the right day, it can be the highlight of your trip.

Have fun.

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 23:35
As mentioned. It is scary, but not difficult. It is almost a flat walk across the actual 'edge'. The issue is that strong winds, heavy rain, fog, ice, or snow make this 1 mile hike EXTREMELY dangerous. On a fair or good day, it isnt bad if you arent too afraid of heights. Thousands of people have been across it. It doesnt require any technical climbing skills. Just take your time and watch out for all the other folks that area coming and going that are trying to pass you on a very narrow corridor.

Have fun. :)

toegem
07-17-2009, 06:47
I did it in Oct. what a rush, I did it from Chimney Pond. If your scared of heigths it might not be the thing for you.

peakbagger
07-17-2009, 09:01
There have been several threads in the past regarding the difficulty of the Knifes Edge. I have hiked it several times including with a full pack. I have also not hiked it a few times when the conditions were not good. Heres my "IMHO"

Weather - The BSP staff ranks the weather conditions each day and predicts the next days conditions. They tend to be quite accurate as the conditions are based on many years of seeing how the mountain will repond to surrounding weather conditions. If they say its going to be a class 1 or 2 day, its worth trying, but generally a class 3 is going to be nasty. I rarely if ever have encoutered folks who had a fun time on a class 3 day and most wouldnt do it again. Wind is a major issue, you are fully exposed and fighting the wind for a couple of hours which is not fun for many folks. A rough rule of thumb is 1 out of three days is going to be great weather, although early September improves those odds.

Scrambling - The most challenging scrambling on the entire hike is the descent down into the chimney and back up out of it. This is very near the start of the trail if you are climbing up it. I have observed (and occasionally assisted) several folks over the years turn around at this point including a few who hiked all the way down to the chimney and turned around heading back to the summit rather than finishing the last 100 yards or so. By the way if you take the Dudley trail up to Pamola form Chimney Pond and find it difficult, you may want to rethink your decision to do the knifes edge. Dudley is more boulder scrambling and less exposure but for some folks its enough for them to decide to skip Pamola and find another route to the top. The actual knifes edge trail is normally blazed on top of the ridge and in some spots its truly less than 2 feet wide. There are frequent informal bypasses whihc skip past the actual tip top of the ridge which inevitably require walking along a ledge, while using your hands to hug the side of rock face. If you are uncomfortable looking down past your toes 100 to 1000 feet down, it may not be for you.

Water Management - There are no real dependable sources of water once you break treeline on Pamola, therefore on a warm dry day that is great for hiking, you are in exposed conditions for 4 or 5 hours. Many folks dont carry enough water and the knifes edge is not a good place to experience dehydration. If you are doing a loop from the Roaring Brook side, the closest reliable water is Saddle Spring (requires treatment).

Timing - If you elect to climb to the summit from via Abol or the Hunt Trail (AT), adding the knifes edge to the day can make for a long day as the only normal options are to do it out and back (2 to 3 hours) or hike down to Roaring Brook. You can normally hitch back from Roaring Brook to the Togue Pond Gate but getting back to your car at Abol or Katahdin Stream usually requires another hitch and you are "swimming against the stream" as most of the day hikers are heading in the opposite direction.

Adding it on to an AT hike - See the prio timing discussion

With those precautions in mind, it is spectacular and there is nothing like it in northern New England if the conditions line up. I ilve in the Whites and have hiked here for many years and there is nothing really close.There is nothing like it on the AT. I plan to do the hike from one side of the mountain to the other via the knifes edge this September and if the weather is nice I might do it twice;)

ShelterLeopard
07-17-2009, 10:16
If you go up the trail that starts at Katahdin stream campground (The Birches lean-tos, I think)- the one directly at the bottom of Katahdin, anyway, and come back down on the knifes edge, you'll finish really far away from the Katahdin Stream campground, right?

mudhead
07-17-2009, 17:11
I did it in Oct. what a rush, I did it from Chimney Pond. If your scared of heigths it might not be the thing for you.
Agree.

Wind is a major issue,
Agree.

Scrambling - The most challenging scrambling on the entire hike is the descent down into the chimney and back up out of it. This is very near the start of the trail if you are climbing up it. I have observed (and occasionally assisted) several folks over the years turn around at this point including a few who hiked all the way down to the chimney and turned around heading back to the summit rather than finishing the last 100 yards or so. By the way if you take the Dudley trail up to Pamola form Chimney Pond and find it difficult, you may want to rethink your decision to do the knifes edge. Dudley is more boulder scrambling and less exposure but for some folks its enough for them to decide to skip Pamola and find another route to the top. The actual knifes edge trail is normally blazed on top of the ridge and in some spots its truly less than 2 feet wide. There are frequent informal bypasses whihc skip past the actual tip top of the ridge which inevitably require walking along a ledge, while using your hands to hug the side of rock face. If you are uncomfortable looking down past your toes 100 to 1000 feet down, it may not be for you.
Agree. But. If you go up Dudley, sit on the top of Pamola and then decide you don't want the Knifedge, ya big sissy:D, then you don't get the summit.

Water Management - There are no real dependable sources of water once you break treeline on Pamola, therefore on a warm dry day that is great for hiking, you are in exposed conditions for 4 or 5 hours. Many folks dont carry enough water and the knifes edge is not a good place to experience dehydration. If you are doing a loop from the Roaring Brook side, the closest reliable water is Saddle Spring (requires treatment).
I must admit I have never actually found that spring. Drag water with you.

Timing - If you elect to climb to the summit from via Abol or the Hunt Trail (AT), adding the knifes edge to the day can make for a long day as the only normal options are to do it out and back (2 to 3 hours) or hike down to Roaring Brook. You can normally hitch back from Roaring Brook to the Togue Pond Gate but getting back to your car at Abol or Katahdin Stream usually requires another hitch and you are "swimming against the stream" as most of the day hikers are heading in the opposite direction.

Agree. Hitching is pretty good, tho. Get water before Roaring Brook CG, before hitching. I have always needed two rides.

If you go up the trail that starts at Katahdin stream campground (The Birches lean-tos, I think)- the one directly at the bottom of Katahdin, anyway, and come back down on the knifes edge, you'll finish really far away from the Katahdin Stream campground, right?
Magic thumb. Takes awhile.

I figure if you can step off an extension ladder onto a roof, without freaking, you can do the Knifedge. Helps if you wait the first time for someone who knows how to drop into the Chimney. Couple toeholds that are creepy, even the first time in a season. You will use your hands.

It is a cherry spot. Go for it.

Dogwood
07-17-2009, 19:52
No technical skills needed although there is scrambling and you better not have an issue with vertigo.

DavidNH
07-17-2009, 20:29

That is right. You will be on the other side of the mountain, probably a half hour plus by car from K Stream campground!

David

ShelterLeopard
07-17-2009, 20:36
That is right. You will be on the other side of the mountain, probably a half hour plus by car from K Stream campground!

David

Thanks- I thought so, but just checking. (That would not be a fun mistake to make)

toegem
07-30-2009, 06:36
不收费的免费电影 (http://www.xiaochui.com/)真的有吗?小锤就是其中一个.还有成人电影 (http://www.xiaochui.com/sou/?%E6%88%90%E4%BA%BA%E7%94%B5%E5%BD%B1)呢!甜性涩爱 (http://www.vomv.com/%E7%88%B1%E6%83%85%E7%94%B5%E5%BD%B1/%E7%94%9C%E6%80%A7%E6%B6%A9%E7%88%B1/)也可以免费看的.
Free adult movies