PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 16:41
Comments, opinions, experiences related to the Approach Trail

minnesotasmith
06-05-2004, 22:00
I haven't found one yet, but would like to find one. I know how to buy paper quadrangle topo maps; that's not my question.

smokymtnsteve
06-05-2004, 22:03
the first mile to the top of the falls is steep...I did that part SOBO..

Dances with Mice
06-05-2004, 22:25
I haven't found one yet, but would like to find one. I know how to buy paper quadrangle topo maps; that's not my question.

Try this:
http://www.n2backpacking.com/destinations/georgia/ATGA/ATGA0%204_94D.htm

It's basically up with a bit of downhill on the north side of Frosty. Some ups are steeper than others.

AbeHikes
02-27-2005, 17:55
the first mile to the top of the falls is steep...I did that part SOBO..
Yes, it is. I did it downhill in the misty dark the weekend before Thanksgiving last year. Had my headlamp pointing straight down trying to find the next step...

Hikerhead
02-27-2005, 19:06
Yes, it is. I did it downhill in the misty dark the weekend before Thanksgiving last year. Had my headlamp pointing straight down trying to find the next step...
You'll find that you'll be able to see the trail better in foggy conditions holding your headlamp in your hand. It's the same thing as driving in the fog with your highbeams on, you can't see the road.

Youngblood
02-27-2005, 19:08
Sounds to me like you really want to know what his problem was... but were afraid to ask. :D I might have been too.

Seriously, we had some ferious winds in the southeast and they changed directions during the night. I about got blown off Big Frog Mtn in southern TN on the Benton MacKaye Trail last night but my approach was to pack up at first light to get off the mountain and out of the wind. You reckon he didn't know what to do in the wind... like trying to set up some second rate shelter in the wind instead of just hiking to a place that was out of the wind? I've seen some interesting things/people on the trails and you never know for sure what some folks have figured out.

Youngblood

orangebug
02-27-2005, 19:42
Youngblood, I think you posted to the wrong thread. But I agree.
:datz

AbeHikes
02-27-2005, 19:47
You'll find that you'll be able to see the trail better in foggy conditions holding your headlamp in your hand. It's the same thing as driving in the fog with your highbeams on, you can't see the road.
Much appreciated. I'll try that next time.

halibut15
02-27-2005, 19:51
Try http://www.topozone.com. Search "Amicalola Falls," Springer Mountain," "Frosty Mountain," and put GA in as the state. It'll hook you up nicely.

neo
02-27-2005, 20:14
i nick named the approach trail the the departure trail.i parked my car at amicola falls,and was shuttled into north carolina to deep gap,less than a mile south of standing indian shelter,i hiked south from there to springer mt.i was offered a ride,from the parking lot near springer back to amicola falls,but opted to hike down the approach trail to amicola falls,so that was a departure trail for me.

:sun neo

Youngblood
02-27-2005, 20:42
Youngblood, I think you posted to the wrong thread. But I agree.
:datz

Yep... thanks I'll copy to where I meant to put it.

valleyfire
08-25-2009, 22:55
The first day on the trail, mixed emotions.

bjohnb
05-29-2012, 20:17
My wife and I did some of it last Friday. We got a really late start. There are 600 stair steps at the very beginning of the hike. That's before you even get out of the crowded, public area. I did not have a map with us and we just wanted to get out "in the woods". We crossed two FS roads, one was really close to the beginning, I'd guess in the second mile. The second FS road was probably another mile or two away, but by then it seemed like we had hiked for 40 miles. We are in decent shape but are beginner hikers. After the second FS road we hiked to the top of a very steep mountain and finally decided it was time to set up camp. We bit off a little more than we could chew and thank goodness we brought enough water that we didn't have to count on making it to Springer. We stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere and camped overnight. It took us about four hours to get to where we were and only took us 2.25 hours to get back if that gives you an idea of the inclines vs. the declines when your NOBO. The good thing about the late start is that we only saw about 10 people on the trail. Surprisingly, we were not the latest starters as we passed several tents on our way back to the state park the next morning.
We nursed sore calves and enjoyed the a/c and mattress the rest of the weekend. Think I'll pick an easier section next time.

Monkeywrench
05-30-2012, 08:48
Comments, opinions, experiences related to the Approach Trail

Opinion: The Approach trail is the proper way to begin a NOBO thru-hike. Only pansies skip the Approach Trail.

RED-DOG
05-30-2012, 09:47
Well said Monkeywrench sure the approach trail is steep and goes up hill for 8.8 miles pull your skirts up ladies and get-er done:confused:

Grampie
05-30-2012, 10:11
If you start a NOBO thru by skipping the approach trail you will probably skip a lot more of the trail on your hike. What's another 10 miles when you got over 2000 to hike.

Praha4
05-30-2012, 10:55
i've done the approach trail 3 times, each time is better. The dreaded staircase at the fall is a great warmup for the AT. First time I did the approach trail I was way out of shape, suffered leg cramps all the way up to Springer, it was August 2008, one of those fond hiking memories. A local shuttle driver, Wes Wisson, has quite a few great stories about wannabe thru hikers he has shuttled over the years.

oh yeah, there's a rest room and water at the top of the falls, plus the AFSP Lodge is just a short walk from the top. They have a great buffet too.

Monkeywrench
05-30-2012, 11:45
My journal from March 18, 2009:

Wednesday 3/18
AT Miles = 2.8
Other Miles = 8.8
Total Miles = 11.6Today was a perfect day to start a thru-hike. After days and days of rain, today was warm and sunny with a bit of haze. After a hearty breakfast at the Hikers Hostel in Dahlonega, six hikers piled into the truck to be shuttled to the trail. Only two of us had chosen to hike the Approach Trail from Amicalola Falls State Park. The trail starts at the stone arch behind the Visitors Center, then follows the paved trail up along the falls, which includes seven hundred and something stairs. Whew!After I got out of the state park the trail turned quiet and lovely. It is quite different than New England, which I think of as mud, roots, and rocks. Here the trail was dry and smooth for easy walking. It was only the elevation gain that made the hiking hard.I left Amicalola Falls at about 10:20 and arrived at the summit of Springer Mountrain at 1:50, much faster than I expected. I hadn't yet picked a final goal for the day. I could have stopped at the Springer Mountrain Shelter just 0.2 miles from the summit, but with about 6 hours of daylight left it seemed that pushing on a little further made sense, so I continued on the 2.8 miles to here, Stover Creek Shelter.It's about 6:30 now. We've got blue skies and a gentle breeze, and the evening is starting to cool off. My hammock is hung out behind the shelter, and I think it is going to be wonderful sleeping weather tonight; fresh and chilly.There is a fire going started by one of the other hikers. There are a half dozen hikers in the shelter, a few in tents 50 yards away, and me in my hammock.The weather forecast I saw this morning before leaving the hostel called for a 30% chance of rain tomorrow, then sunny and warm for the rest of the week.While hiking today I was thinking that so far this feels like just another weekend hiking trip. I wonder how long it will be before it starts transitioning from a hiking trip into a life-style.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2012, 11:54
Opinion: The Approach trail is the proper way to begin a NOBO thru-hike.

opinion: no it's not. there is no "proper" way

max patch
05-30-2012, 14:16
Opinion: The Approach trail is the proper way to begin a NOBO thru-hike. Only pansies skip the Approach Trail.

Thats a load of steaming crap.

I like the approach; most of it used to be the AT. But it don't matter if you start there, FS42 and backtrack a mile to Springer, or FS42 and hike the BMT SOBO to Springer.

Cookerhiker
05-30-2012, 14:23
...A local shuttle driver, Wes Wisson, has quite a few great stories about wannabe thru hikers he has shuttled over the years.

He was Bill Bryson's shuttler. For that reason, I obtained a shuttle from Wes when I section-hiked from Springer to Rt. 64 in '04 so that I could ask him about Bryson & Katz.

I started my hike via the Approach Trail but like Bryson, I started at the Lodge, not the bottom of the Falls. Hiked it again this past February 28.

Emerson Bigills
05-30-2012, 20:14
Lone Wolf, I sent you a PM regarding a shuttle this Friday. Thanks.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 16:33
I'm glad I did a search before starting a thread to ask opinions of the "necessity" for the approach trail.

10-K
07-01-2012, 16:41
The only way I've ever left Springer is via FS 42. I've never understood the need to hike "the trail before the trail". I mean, go for it - but it's not the AT any more than any other side trail that intersects with the AT.

max patch
07-01-2012, 16:57
I wish the AT started at AFSP so we wouldn't have to revisit this discussion every year.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 17:20
I wish the AT started at AFSP so we wouldn't have to revisit this discussion every year.

Get the admins to sticky this bugger to the top. :p

I'm quite happy to see folks like you, 10-K, and Lone Wolf in the approach-trail-isn't-necessary camp. You guys seem like you're fairly hard core--not to be confused with a**hole--about some things, but reasonable. Seeing that you don't have the MUSTDOAPPROACHTRAILORDIE mindset makes me feel better about thinking "Why bother, it's not part of the AT?"

moocow
07-02-2012, 01:15
I did the approach trail to gain an appreciation for what was ahead. And I gained appreciation with a side of humility. I started in good shape (for an American). I had done my fair share of Texas and New Mexico trails, all of which were flat. I was dropped off at the visitor's center at 8:30 in the morning, and I got to the top of the falls at 10:00. I remember the sign at the top of the falls saying something like an average of four hours to Springer. I fought for every second, every inch of the trail that day. Most of the day involved me stopping every 10 feet. I was excited when I found a fairly flat stretch where I could fight the pain of 100 feet of non-stop action. Day-hikers passed me like I was hiking in reverse, and I pretended that I had been taking a planned snack break. I finished the approach at 5:30 in the evening. No one was there, so i took an arm extended self-shot of me at the Springer sign as the sun was starting to go down. I stumbled to the Springer shelter just in time to set up my tent and get inside before dark. No dinner, no water. I was so worn that I told myself I would do that stuff in the morning. My legs could barely support the weight of me, and I was glad I had made the last minute choice to buy some trekking poles. But I remember being excited because I had wanted Springer so much that I had been willing to fight through the most pain I had ever experienced before. I didn't think, nor do I think today that the approach was necessary. And laying in my tent that night I was humbled as I thought, "okay, tomorrow I begin".

WIAPilot
07-02-2012, 02:13
The Approach Trail seems difficult, but I wouldn't want to start any other way. I just wish that the miles were included!!

10-K
07-02-2012, 05:37
Don't you think there are enough hills ahead to gain appreciation? People always say that and I can't figure out what they mean.... Does adding 1 more hill to climb really do anything?

Full disclosure: If I were ever at AFSP, bored with nothing to do I'd probably hike up it just so I could say I have but never in my wildest dreams would I make it part of an AT hike.

max patch
07-02-2012, 08:44
Again, it doesn't matter where you start, but the approach used to be the official AT so its more than just any other blue blaze.

I think you should start based on whats easier for the person dropping you off.

Many people are afraid of the approach as they have heard on certain hiking forums (hmm, which one?) that is is "difficult". Thats a crock, its no harder or easier than anything else in GA.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 08:48
Again, it doesn't matter where you start, but the approach used to be the official AT so its more than just any other blue blaze.

Many people are afraid of the approach as they have heard on certain hiking forums (hmm, which one?) that is is "difficult". Thats a crock, its no harder or easier than anything else in GA.
How did the approach become unincluded in the official trail?

max patch
07-02-2012, 09:02
How did the approach become unincluded in the official trail?

The AT used to start at Mt Oglethorpe which was 20 miles S of Springer. The current approach trail was in this 20 mile section. In 1958 the southern terminus was moved to Springer because of "development" (i.e. chicken farms) around Mt Oglethorpe which degraded the hiking experience.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 09:11
The AT used to start at Mt Oglethorpe which was 20 miles S of Springer. The current approach trail was in this 20 mile section. In 1958 the southern terminus was moved to Springer because of "development" (i.e. chicken farms) around Mt Oglethorpe which degraded the hiking experience.
Thanks. I hate to be a bother but can the old trail that started at Mt Oglethorpe still be hiked today?

rhjanes
07-02-2012, 09:15
Thanks. I hate to be a bother but can the old trail that started at Mt Oglethorpe still be hiked today?not legally. It is private property and posted closed, no tresspassing and such.

max patch
07-02-2012, 09:22
Thanks. I hate to be a bother but can the old trail that started at Mt Oglethorpe still be hiked today?

No. You can't even get to the top of Mt Oglethorpe without permission, and the trail has long since been reclaimed.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 09:38
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I find history of the trail interesting. Thanks again.

moocow
07-02-2012, 10:52
10-K, I think that underlying it all, that was the reason why I did it - because everyone does say that it gives you an appreciation for the trail. It was more about what I thought was tradition. I'm glad I did it, but I will say that I restarted the trail in April and drove straight up to the FS42 parking lot. I got more than enough appreciation in February. And I also figured out that the awe of the AT was what I was really after and all I needed, not the approach.

jersey joe
07-02-2012, 11:18
I hiked the approach trail because of Bryson's book and how he wrote about it. Also, it was a convenient place for my brother to drop me off.
Also...The arch makes a good picture and you can weigh your pack at the office/store.

RedRunnerJumper
09-20-2012, 09:40
On average though it depends on the hiker him/herself, from the Arch and hiking the Approach Trail to the summit takes about how long? 5-6 hours? given good weather...

Lando11
09-20-2012, 09:57
I did the approach last year for 2 reasons
1.really wanted to see the arch
2. refused to walk sobo for a mile cuz im stubborn as hell!

honestly, i see no real difference tho .if i was to hike the whole trail again it would be a last minute decision whether or not to hike the approach.

Donde
09-20-2012, 11:22
The Approach Trail seems difficult, but I wouldn't want to start any other way. I just wish that the miles were included!!

Included in what? Why do people think their hiking trips and experiences only matter if someone with a can of white spray paint has been there already? I did the approach because I like hiking. Do the approach, don't do the approach, whatever, but this notion of what counts and what doesn't is stupid. Just go hike enjoy yourself, this isn't supposed to be a sport.

IrishBASTARD
09-20-2012, 21:13
I've hiked the approach because I had wanted to. Figured it was a good jumping off point...to see if I could attempt a thru-hike. Was not a fan of the steps talk about an adventure. But for me it was as if gradually saying goodbye to Civilization was a good start.

Mags
09-21-2012, 00:06

Bingo.

It's a pretty chill hike IMO. I did not do it when I did the AT, but I did do it when I did the BMT. In both cases, it was what was easier for the driver.

As for the approach trail itself, don't think it added or subtracted to my hike in terms of experience, but the approach trail was pretty chill I thought, not hard, and pleasant overall.

Adriana
01-06-2013, 11:00
The property around Mt. Oglethorpe is private property. I recently bought a house nearby and have permission from to owner to go to the summit. I am considering offering shuttle and lodging to/from Amicalola that includes access to Mt. Oglethorpe. I can pick up or drop off at the Atlanta airport or at Amicalola or Springer. Pricing still to be determined. Email me if you are interested.