PDA

View Full Version : looks like i'm going to be a section hiker for a while

Pages
07-17-2009, 08:35
well, after examining all possibilities, it doesn't seem like this year is the right time to retire early and thru-hike.

with the housing market the way it is, i can't off-load my house, and at 52, i'm not sure how easy it will be to find another job in my field when my thru-hike is over. if i can just hang on 10 more years at my current job, i can retire with full benefits. if i retire now, i'll get less than a forth and i just can't live on that.

as badly as i want to thru-hike, i think i want more to not be financially miserable. this is a VERY tough decision, but i think it is the right one for right now.

i hope you all have a great hike next year and sure wish i could be out there with you. i'm planning my first section for next year from springer to fontana dam. maybe i'll see some of you out there.

troll, rock or squid, please remove my name...sniff...from the 2010 registry.

thanks.

TV

Christus Cowboy
07-17-2009, 10:09
My heart goes out to you partner... I'm facing a simular situation except I can retire in 11 months but with my son starting college and a daughter just behind him, I will have to get another job in addition to my pension to cover the costs. I agree with you this is very hard because as you get older the trail is still doable but more difficult. While I don't have the hard numbers on this from my reading of numerous trail journals it would also appear that as one advances in age the chances increase of not making it. I'm sure those may be some of the thought fueling your inner struggle. In the meantime, section hiking is still a viable option with the recommendation being that you should really stay on top of your fitness program before retire which will hopefully minimize the effects of the 10 years......

Blue Jay
07-17-2009, 10:33
Section hiking is great, most of us on this forum do it all the time. Look at it this way, by the time you get to do your thru you'll appreciate it that much more. Many people mile slave it and it's over before they know it. That won't happen to you.

Blissful
07-17-2009, 11:18
Absolute right thing to do. Many out there sectioning and truly enjoying the experience (we just dropped one off yesterday in Shenandoah).

Tin Man
07-17-2009, 11:55
I once aspired to thru-hike when I retire, but did not want to wait and started section hiking. After a few years of sectioning and reading about thru-hiking experiences, I will probably remain a section hiker. Hiking 2,000 miles all in one go sounds like a full-time, very arduous occupation rather than a walk in the woods. To each their own, but I enjoy doing a section and looking forward to the next section. Whatever time you have to hike, just being out there is better than being in here. Enjoy!

:sun

Lilred
07-18-2009, 09:30
Let's hear it for section hikers. I've done almost 1000 miles sectioning and every year I meet thru's that are so worried about making miles that they don't even stop to do a short side trail to look at the spectacular views. Sectioning means I don't have to hurry and if I want to take 5 zeros in Damascus, I can... :)

Ladytrekker
07-18-2009, 11:29
I am with you totally not in a position to quit work yet (darn it). So, will be doing some section hiking also. I am hooking up with a friend that will be taking me on my first AT hike in April 2010. We are going to do Harpers Ferry to Duncannon. He has been section hiking after a thru he did a few years ago and has now got to this section that is why I am starting there. I am going to do a series of overnights and long hikes on the FT to get ready. But I am totally obsessed with the AT and I have to got to get it into my system.

johnnybgood
07-18-2009, 19:46
Same here partner . I will continue the 1 week a year section until retirement . Wish I could do more but a vacation with my wife who doesn't hike is necessary and strikes a balance .

Lone Wolf
07-18-2009, 20:38
well, after examining all possibilities, it doesn't seem like this year is the right time to retire early and thru-hike.

with the housing market the way it is, i can't off-load my house, and at 52, i'm not sure how easy it will be to find another job in my field when my thru-hike is over. if i can just hang on 10 more years at my current job, i can retire with full benefits. if i retire now, i'll get less than a forth and i just can't live on that.

as badly as i want to thru-hike, i think i want more to not be financially miserable. this is a VERY tough decision, but i think it is the right one for right now.

i hope you all have a great hike next year and sure wish i could be out there with you. i'm planning my first section for next year from springer to fontana dam. maybe i'll see some of you out there.

troll, rock or squid, please remove my name...sniff...from the 2010 registry.

thanks.

TV

thru-hikin' ain't all it's cracked up to be. enjoy your sections

Lyle
10-11-2009, 11:15
Similar situation here. Wanting to retire or semi-retire, but the whole pension thing is gnawing at me.

My solution for now is to continue section hiking, planning to finish the AT within the next 4 or 5 years, then, when I do retire, thru-hike the PCT and possibly the CDT if the health and desire is still there - no indication it won't be.

One of the big question marks in my mind came about this past January. My sister retired in 2006. This past January she died completely unexpectedly two days after her 61st birthday. Makes one question the wisdom of putting off our dreams until retirement. That day may never come.

Best of luck in making your decisions - enjoy whatever path you decide on.

imgijoe
10-11-2009, 12:53
You know, they say most thru-hikers are in some transition in there life, retiring, graduating high school, college, laid off, etc. It is a matter of desire meeting opportunity. You have to have both. Sometimes desire can force opportunity but sometimes you can't make opportunity out of all the desire in the world. I feel for you. I feel for me too. I am planning to thru-hike 2010. I am still making it work but it is a daily struggle. It's funny how that desire can make you rationalize seemingly illogical decisions. The day I take my first step on the thru-hike will be a major victory. I have always said that the vast majority of would be thru-hikers never get the chance. Life getting in the way and all. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, I was laid off earlier this year. I certainly would not have quit that job to thru-hike (such is your case), but, you know....opportunity. Fortunately for me I retired from the Army 2 years ago so I have some income...more opportunity. I am selling my home, moving temporarily to Lakeland, FL the end of November and will start at Springer 1MAR...desire making opportunity, lol. I hope you get to do it sometime before your actual retirement, I couldn't see planning a thru-hike at 62-63, seems iffy. Section hiking is great but you can't compare that with the accomplishment of thru-hiking, it definately is not just about the scenery. Keep up the desire, hopefully, opportunity will present itself.
GI Joe

Blue Jay
10-12-2009, 10:14
One of the big question marks in my mind came about this past January. My sister retired in 2006. This past January she died completely unexpectedly two days after her 61st birthday. Makes one question the wisdom of putting off our dreams until retirement. That day may never come.

I know a few people this also happened to including my dad who never made it to retirement. He would have loved to hike the AT. Because of this I make it a point to give more value to my bucket list than my money list. Life is always a risk and each individual has his or her own level of security vs. living. I think that's why I admire other thrus of all ages. It takes much courage to take that first step, IMO more than doing the entire trail. That said, long sections (more than a month) are my favorite way to hike.

Tin Man
10-12-2009, 10:29
I know a few people this also happened to including my dad who never made it to retirement. He would have loved to hike the AT. Because of this I make it a point to give more value to my bucket list than my money list. Life is always a risk and each individual has his or her own level of security vs. living. I think that's why I admire other thrus of all ages. It takes much courage to take that first step, IMO more than doing the entire trail. That said, long sections (more than a month) are my favorite way to hike.

thruing is way overrated IMO. initially dreamed of a thru, having read and thought much on the subject, i have come to the same conclusion, 4-6 week sections would be plenty of fun without turning the hike into a "no blue blazes, stopping to smell the roses, gotta do the miles" drudge. no thank you. I only do one week sections and it is fun, but I would like to keep going. Some day.

modiyooch
10-12-2009, 10:37
One thing that you can do after your spring start, is to return to the trail later that season for another section hike and catch your buddies further up the trail. I had multiple section hikes one season and I ran into people in NH and Maine that I had met earlier in PA and NJ.