PDA

View Full Version : Stove didn't work at 10k - me? or stove?

eyahiker
07-12-2004, 20:16
I have a little Primus stove, newish this year, used maybe 15 times, using Primus Butane/Propane MIx can(7.8 oz size) and it lights and then goes out immediatel - was around 10K feet in AZ last week. Does this fuel need a pump?
Anybody know where the altitude starts to affect the canister, if at all?:-?

gravityman
07-13-2004, 10:29
I have a little Primus stove, newish this year, used maybe 15 times, using Primus Butane/Propane MIx can(7.8 oz size) and it lights and then goes out immediatel - was around 10K feet in AZ last week. Does this fuel need a pump?
Anybody know where the altitude starts to affect the canister, if at all?:-?

Used my Gigapower (also isobutane canister stove) at 12k last weekend on a nearly empty bottle. Same performance as at 6k (home). So it must be you :) I did have problems with the stove going out when I had my windscreen too close to it.

Gravity Man

eyahiker
07-13-2004, 13:34
Ya know, I kinda figured it was me......
Someone mentioned to me a "servicing" like a cleaning kit or something, that Primus stoves are easy to "service", guess I'll hit the outfitter and check on this, whattayathink?

gravityman
07-13-2004, 14:10
Ya know, I kinda figured it was me......
Someone mentioned to me a "servicing" like a cleaning kit or something, that Primus stoves are easy to "service", guess I'll hit the outfitter and check on this, whattayathink?

Don't know anything specifically about Primus, but canister stoves shouldn't need servicing as far as I know. White gas stoves can need it though... Could be your jet is clogged if you spilled some food in it somehow... A toothbrush bristle is the classic cleaning tool for this job.

Gravity Man

eyahiker
07-13-2004, 22:25
Thanks Gman, I will definately keep the toothbrush trick in mind for next time it clogs! Went to the Outfitters today where I bought it, and amazingly they replaced the bottom black part that delivers the fuel to the stove part, they said it shouldn't be messed up this soon - WOW! no charge, I was amazed, so off to the AT I go for the next few weeks.....:clap

Blue Jay
07-14-2004, 06:46
I had that stove. It never worked right, they replaced parts until I threw it out. It's not you.