PDA

View Full Version : Planned shelter construction @ Glasgow

Frau
07-17-2009, 21:41
I posted several months ago that the Glasgow Town Council voted to allow camping on town property, and that plans for a Hikers' Shelter were underway.

The town now has a nice donation of over $2k for the construction of a shelter that is more hostel than lean-to. They plan bunks, toilet and shower facilities. Following construction, they want to provide a shuttle service.

I was asked to post of their plans, and to suggest/request donations, input, assistance for their project. They have outdoor sports friendly council members now, and just hosted the first annual Glasgow Riverfest the weekend of June 27, which had a great turn-out.

Anyone who can assist in this project financially, physically, or in the planning and design stage please contact:

Town of Glasgow Parks and Recreation Committee
Hiker Facility Fund
Glasgow Town Hall
P.O. Box 326
Glasgow, VA 24555
(540) 258-2246
(540) 258-2824

Thank you for support,

Frau

Pacific Tortuga
07-17-2009, 22:34
I was stuck at a truck stop with painful edema of my left leg. A couple helped me out, drove me to their home in Glasgow and allowed me to set my tent up on their lawn.
This has nothing to do with the thread, just wanted to share a act of random kindness by some more Glasgow town folk.
Beautiful area, lake and park I'm sure they will be good hosts,
(as long as hikers behave)

Jeff
07-18-2009, 06:23
This is an amazingly generous act on the part of the citizens of Glasgow. But, the Town Council needs to know that this facility will require a volunteer caretaker to be successful. Maybe Lone Wolf could be hired as a consultant for this project.:o

Lone Wolf
07-18-2009, 06:30
This is an amazingly generous act on the part of the citizens of Glasgow. But, the Town Council needs to know that this facility will require a volunteer caretaker to be successful. Maybe Lone Wolf could be hired as a consultant for this project.:o

i would advise them not to build it. they'll regret it in the long run unless someone goes there nightly to babysit. otherwise it will be party central

Frau
07-18-2009, 06:33
Useful thoughts. Any ideas like that posted here will be passed on. I imagine they haven't considered rowdy hikers at all.

Right now they have the best intentions, but there are only a very few hikers here to give advice. Those of us who are here, are not thru-hikers.

Keep the ideas coming.

Frau

Lone Wolf
07-18-2009, 06:41
first off if they do build it they better have a strict NO alcohol, NO dog policy and a limit nightly as to how many can use it. police patrol would be a good idea

emerald
07-18-2009, 10:40
There will be a need to pick up after those who won't pick up after themselves or sort wastes and for regular collection of recyclables and trash generated at the shelter and dropped off by hikers. Someone will need to take responsibility for dealing with it and will need to pay for hauling it to recycling facilities and proper disposal of what cannot be recycled.

emerald
07-18-2009, 10:46
Two important but related questions that must be answered are who may use it and for what duration. If exceptions are to be allowed, who grants them?

Consider what kind of facility is desired and what similiar facilites already exist and contact those who operate them for advice. You may wish to contact St. John's Church at Port Clinton or Presbyterian Church of the Mountain at Delaware Water Gap for suggestions regarding these questions and other general or specific advice. Both have been operating for a long time.

Does Glasgow have it's own police department and would they be willing to patrol it?

High Life
07-18-2009, 11:04
first off if they do build it they better have a strict NO alcohol, NO dog policy and a limit nightly as to how many can use it. police patrol would be a good idea

There's absolutely no need for a shelter there
i hitched in and out of glasgow for a mail drop in sept. 07 , no problem
theres plenty of camping a long the james river and there's a shelter not far from there. the town is asking for problems

Blissful
07-18-2009, 20:13
That is so generous of Glasgow but to be sure some hikers will abuse the privilege. Hope the town understands that and are ready - (which is really unfortunate but has happened to other hostels and town plans, sadly enough).

johnnybgood
07-18-2009, 21:24
That is so generous of Glasgow but to be sure some hikers will abuse the privilege. Hope the town understands that and are ready - (which is really unfortunate but has happened to other hostels and town plans, sadly enough).
Yep . Somebody is bound to give hikers a bad rap.

Frau
07-19-2009, 07:44
My understanding is that they are building the hostel, regardless of need. The decision was not based on need. the town has decided to capitalize AND build on it's wonderful location as a recreation mecca for hiking, paddling and bicycling, and motorcycling. They know that by making a few changes that more outdoor enthusiasts will come.

Had the motel remained open to over night guests, the shelter might not have been planned. There is new blood on the council though, and things are looking up. Two new businesses are opening, and the new bridge will be finished before we know it.

I am just the humble messenger. Thank everyone for the great advice, both pro and con. The council needs to plan for the good and the bad.

Frau

Pedaling Fool
07-19-2009, 09:01
I use to be the treasurer for an organization and this is the type of expenditure that I would always fight. Not knowing the particulars of this town, this sounds more like a feel-good approach, rather than a smart investment. This town needs advice from a smart businessman, not from a bunch of hikers. However, I think all the brief opinions are good and basically my opinion. Just because we frequent these type of places don't make us experts in running them, yet it's pretty easy to foresee the basic negative outcome, based on numerous examples.

I recommend not expending any money until they have a plan, not feel-good expenditures. I’m not saying they can’t become a "Mecca" for the these activities, but just building a hostel won’t do it. Save the money and come up with a comprehensive plan.

My understanding is that they are building the hostel, regardless of need. The decision was not based on need...
To me, that statement raises flags. This is the type of wreckless expenditures I fought a lot as treasurer. They will be kicking themselves if they spend this money and it doesn't reap the rewards they invisioned (not just monetary rewards). And then something happens and they need that money.

Frau
07-19-2009, 15:45
j.g., you are right and all responses are being forwarded.

Frau

Sly
07-20-2009, 16:15
Wow lots of negativity...

It would probably be easy enough to hire a part or full time caretaker that gets a percentage of the daily fee, or find someone that will do it for nothing.

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2009, 16:34
I don't see negativity here, Sly.

Just simple and blunt honesty.

I was in Glasgow a few weeks ago. The townspeople were great, and I wish them all the best. But the location of the new hiker campsite/shelter is about two minutes walk from a beer store.

Lone Wolf's points were valid ones, and regrettably, were probably right on the mark.

An unsupervised hiker facility in the center of a Trail town will develop problems within days of its being opened, and instead of proving a boon to hikers, this could backfire, and turn some townspeople AGAINST the hiking community.

And that would be unfortunate.