PDA

View Full Version : Comprimised sweet water filter.

Jayboflavin04
07-18-2009, 10:15
I cleaned my MSR sweeter water filter with bleach and let dry for a day or two. I then stuck it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. There was still a little bit of ice build up on the inside of the filter. I guessing it was probablly normal. How will i know if the filter is crap when I start using it. I am thinking about pulling some red diluted kool-aid thru it to check for cracks...then cleaning with bleach again.

skinewmexico
07-18-2009, 16:04
I didn't think you were supposed to use bleach on a filter. I thought you just backwashed them, and replaced them periodically.

Toolshed
07-18-2009, 20:27
I cleaned my MSR sweeter water filter with bleach and let dry for a day or two. I then stuck it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. There was still a little bit of ice build up on the inside of the filter. I guessing it was probablly normal. How will i know if the filter is crap when I start using it. I am thinking about pulling some red diluted kool-aid thru it to check for cracks...then cleaning with bleach again.
First need use to have a dye test protocol, but I don't remember the procedure, but regardless, I don't think I would ever atore a water filter in teh freezer - Expecially if it has a ceramic element.

Jayboflavin04
07-19-2009, 11:27
I knew I read about storing it in the freezer somewhere. It is actually in the directions. I think it is fine. It looks like it did when I bleached it and put it in the freezer. Kool-aid test didnt work.

Jayboflavin04
07-19-2009, 11:29
I didn't think you were supposed to use bleach on a filter. I thought you just backwashed them, and replaced them periodically.

You cant back wash a sweet water.....if it were the mini-works or hyper-suck that would be a different story. Anyone have any luck with that hyper-flow yet.