PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains

Jaybird62
07-18-2009, 10:23
I am planning a trip to New Hampshire in late August, early Sept. I was wondering, what are your favorite 2 to 3 night hikes in the whites.

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 10:25
Pemi loop. Or the half loop. My gallery has maps of it that are easily printable.

Jaybird62
07-18-2009, 10:33
Cool man. Thanks!

Blissful
07-18-2009, 10:45
Whatever Tin Man did too looked interesting to me. it was the Pemi wilderness also. PM him.

High Life
07-18-2009, 10:51
trips through the great gulf wilderness are fun , headwall of washingtion is very steep
1600ft in 1/8mile if i remember correctly , i also like the dry river wilderness
these two places are secluded and you usually don't see many other people
whatever you choose have fun and hikesafe

Tin Man
07-18-2009, 10:51
13 Falls is a great spot to chill awhile. Ask the caretaker where the best swimming spots are to cool off on a hot day... or just take in the views.

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 11:00
Tin Man and I did the same trip in reverse of each other...here's the map of the whole loop, 3 nights is doable but it's tough miles....I like the half loop for 3 nights...either way, either direction you start in lincoln woods parking lot.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/4/6/sdc11060.jpg

Tin Man
07-18-2009, 11:00
Whatever Tin Man did too looked interesting to me. it was the Pemi wilderness also. PM him.

This was our itinerary for a 4 day, 3 night hike...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=868892&postcount=20

This is the map you want... originally posted by Pokey2006

http://www.mapadventures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12

Jaybird62
07-18-2009, 11:06
Thanks for all the help-much appreciated!!! Which sections does the half loop cover?

Slo-go'en
07-18-2009, 11:17
The RMC (Randolph Mountian Club) Crag Camp cabin on Mt Adams. Cheap rent ($12.00 a night), stuning views of Madison and King Ravine from the front portch, easy access to Madison, Adams, Jefferson or the traverse to Mt Washington and back as day hikes, using Crag Camp as a base camp.

Tin Man
07-18-2009, 11:30
Thanks for all the help-much appreciated!!! Which sections does the half loop cover?

The half loop we did started with a flat hike into 13 Falls, then up to the ridge-line traversing Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty and Flume.

DavidNH
07-18-2009, 11:55
Assuming you are backpacking, probably the most spectacular trip you could do would be around the Pemi.

Lincoln Woods to Liberty Spring Campsite

Liberty Spring Campsite over Lincoln, Lafayette and Garfield to Garfield Ridge Campsite,

From here you could come straight out via Franconia Brook Trail for a three day trip.

Or stretch to four by going over South Twin to Guyot campsite. Then out over Bond and Bondcliffe to Lincoln Woods.

If the weather forecast is perfect, it doesn't get better than that!

Another Possibility:

Webstercliff trail to Mispah Hut (stay at adjacent Neuman tent site).

If you only have two full days and the weather is perfect and you can car spot:

Trailhead for North twin trail. Hike over North and South Twin and stay at Guyot camp site (lean to or platform) then next day hike out over Mt Bond and Bondcliff to Lincoln Woods.

David

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 13:32
Seems like everyone is agreeing on the Pemi Loop....it's an extremely rewarding hike.

Jaybird62
07-18-2009, 14:26
I am leaning towards that hike for sure....if I decide to do half, I am also interested in coming up with a loop for 1 or 2 nights somewhere in the presidentials...

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 18:33
I am leaning towards that hike for sure....if I decide to do half, I am also interested in coming up with a loop for 1 or 2 nights somewhere in the presidentials...

Not in the Presidentials, still in the Whites though, I like to do 3 ponds Trail....I start at the trail head in Rumney and do a real short, very nice loop through the area....there are lots of side trails and stuff, I like to hike in early a few miles to the shelter above the main pond and then do hikes from there on spur trails...Nothing steep or tall but great trails. Especially in fall.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/4/6/61590017.jpg

Tin Man
07-18-2009, 20:35

Get the map I mentioned earlier. It will give you a lot of detail on all of the Whites and you can sort through several options.