PDA

View Full Version : down jacket for the AT

Lillianp
07-18-2009, 10:25
Hey all, I'm planning on starting the AT in late February or Early March next year. I'm looking at the Montbell Alpine down jacket for women. Here's the link: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301290
I would probably wear this in the evenings or while sleeping with long underwear, a long sleeve shirt and possibly a very thin sweater as well. Would it keep me warm?
Thanks!
-Em

Blissful
07-18-2009, 10:31
I was seriusly going to swtich to this to cut down on weight, but since I tend to get cold, I'm staying with my heavier 1 lb down jacket. I have read reviews that some have needed an additonal layer which led me to believe it may not be warm for me alone in winter type conditions. But everyone is different and it could be perfect for you. I have the other lightweight Montbell jacket for spring/early summer and love it.

High Life
07-18-2009, 10:54
looks like a good jacket , you'll need it

bigcranky
07-18-2009, 14:33
Does Montbell make a hooded Alpine Parka? I would bring that for the extra warmth. Hood = Good.

beep
07-27-2009, 19:17
I have the Montbell Hooded Alpine Parka...it's a good item, well-made and a staple in my outdoor wardrobe. It's not up to "belay jacket" level warmth, though. It's not designed for that.