PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thoughts, comments, etc

ga>me>ak
07-13-2004, 09:26
Having some concerns with my upcoming trip. I had planned next week to hike from Fontana Dam to Nantahala Outdoor Center. Since my son (15) would be coming, I figured take it nice and easy with 5 or 6 days time alloted. The area is pretty hard, but we're in no rush, and have plenty of time.
The problem is that I'm just getting over Pneumonia.I feel about 90% recovered at this time. Do you think this is to strenuous an area to try to do this soon? I do have a plan B. Or should I go ahead and open up them lungs and blow out all that crap with some mountain air and excercise.
I do respect the advice and comments from the members here, so, I thought I'd ask for your input. Thanks guys

Jaybird
07-13-2004, 09:51
i'd go back to my Doctor & get an "OKAY" from him/her before i headed out shortly after an illness.

but, other than than...hike on! It should be very HOT & HUMID on this section with heat indexes approaching 100 some days....drink plenty of water & take it easy! :D

Youngblood
07-13-2004, 10:20
Having some concerns with my upcoming trip. I had planned next week to hike from Fontana Dam to Nantahala Outdoor Center. Since my son (15) would be coming, I figured take it nice and easy with 5 or 6 days time alloted. The area is pretty hard, but we're in no rush, and have plenty of time.
The problem is that I'm just getting over Pneumonia.I feel about 90% recovered at this time. Do you think this is to strenuous an area to try to do this soon? I do have a plan B. Or should I go ahead and open up them lungs and blow out all that crap with some mountain air and excercise.
I do respect the advice and comments from the members here, so, I thought I'd ask for your input. Thanks guys

I just got back yesterday from a north bound section hike between Deep Gap, NC (82.4 miles from Springer) and Fontana Dam (163.1 miles from Springer). The trail north of NOC (134.0 miles from Springer) has some tough climbs, a couple of which can seem like they go on forever. I don't know what your plan B is, but I would recommend giving it serious consideration as I had all I wanted and then some with two lungs at 100%. The section between Deep Gap and NOC would be a less stressful for your lungs and has some great vistas. It would be 50 miles versus 30 miles, but it doesn't have some of the harder climbs that might be 'show stoppers' for your current situation. Some of the more memorial vistas along the way were Standing Indian Mountain (84.8 miles from Springer) at 5498' elevation, Albert Mountain (97.1 miles from Springer) at 5220' elevation, Wayah Bald (116.9 miles from Springer) at 5240' elevation and the views from the ridge above Cold Mountain Shelter (122.6 miles from Springer) at 4920' elevation. There is a US Forest Service Road (USFS 69) that goes to Wayah Bald and I have used that as a stopping point when I have section hiked in the past.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
07-13-2004, 10:53
I agree with youngblood..also there are more "escape routes" from this loop and more people to assit if needed.

between Fontana and NOC is some rough trail.

be warned that the spring at big spring shelter just north of albert mtn is sometimes dry late in the summer

NotYet
07-13-2004, 11:33
Because of the tremendous amounts of rain we've been having in western NC this June and July, you probably won't have to worry about any springs being dry on your hike next week.

If the doctor okays your trip, it sounds very reasonable to cover the 29 miles in 5 to 6 days even with it being some tougher trail, but you know best how well you're feeling. You might want to do plan B if you still have concerns as the hike gets closer. I hope you have a good hike whichever plan you choose!

bearbait2k4
07-14-2004, 12:29
Your body is going to be challenged enough with just the hike, so there's no reason to give yourself more of a challenge.

I caught strep throat last year while I was out, and got back on the trail not fully recovered. It drained me completely, and I ended up having to take slower days and more time off. Of course, if you're stubborn like all of us, then your best bet is to go with the doc's seal of approval. Then at least you'll know if you're actually healthy enough to do so, and can make your best decision from that advice.