PDA

View Full Version : PocketMail solution

WalkingStick75
07-18-2009, 15:08
I recently picked up a PocketMail to keep my journal on but did not want to send/receive any emails. I was a little disappointed when I learned that the Companion Link program saves all the data in a .dat file but I found a way around this so I thought I would pass that information along.

The CompanionLink program will save your data to CompanionLink/PDA1/Data folder (your directory tree may look different then mine) and the file that holds your outbox mail is "outbox.dat"

Open Microsoft Word and use the menu item File|Open. In the file type menu scroll down to where it says "Recover text from any file (*.*)" and select that item. Then, navigate to the outbox.dat file and select it. Word will go through the file and extract the text in it and present it to you as a new document.

Hope this helps somebody out in WB

spencerb
07-18-2009, 17:51
Glad to see you found a working solution!

Sly
07-18-2009, 21:18
What's a CompanionLink program?

WalkingStick75
07-18-2009, 23:51
Glad to see you found a working solution!

Good to hear from you, back on the trail I hope.

WalkingStick75
07-18-2009, 23:56
What's a CompanionLink program?

Go to http://www.pocketmail.com/us/support/downloads/ you will need a PC cable, contact PocketMail and they will send you one. The cable is old style RS232 if you do not have a serial port on your computer (most have one). If you do not have one then you will need a Serial to USB converter, you can pick one up for 10-15 dollars.