PDA

View Full Version : Hypothermia at 50 degrees and rain kills 10 climbers in Japan.

Snowleopard
07-18-2009, 16:45
!0 climbers were killed by hypothermia in Japan. Conditions on the mountain tops were 10 degrees C. (50F), 20 meters/sec wind (45 mph) and rain. Similar conditions have occurred frequently this summer in the Whites above treeline. People have died in the White mountains under similar conditions. This summer in New England has been wet and cold.

Hikers in New England should be prepared for cold and wet conditions. Above treeline windblown rain is often possible. You should carry enough rain gear and warm clothing (synthetics, not down or cotton) to prevent hypothermia in brutal conditions. In the worst conditions, don't go above treeline.

Snowleopard
07-18-2009, 16:46
Forgot the link:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090717/twl-ten-climbers-die-in-japan-in-bad-wea-4bdc673.html

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2009, 17:22
I nearly got hypothermia while in Vermont (August 2006) and wasn't even above treeline. Needless to say I had my winter stuff sent to me at the next town; the week before it was still summer:(

High Life
07-18-2009, 17:32
i just heard that the other night from my friend in japan
hokaido's weather and new england's weather are similar
i guess it was a big shock in japan .. which is strange cuz the mountain
was 7000ft high .. people need to keep in mind

from solo's guide to wilderness first aid
" there is no warning of impending doom , you do not have a cold center in your brain that warns you that you are becoming hypothemic .
you get cold . you get dumb, you get lost , you get hurt , you cause problems
98.6 F normal
97 F the brain falters , judgment fails , protective and survival instincts decrease
96 F shivering begins , a constant fine motor tremor .you cannot stop it . "

i just want to put that out there for people who don't know
a 1 degree drop in your body temp, is a big deal if not corrected immediately.

Kerosene
07-18-2009, 21:07
On my third AT section hike from US-20 in MA to the CT/NY border in late March 1975, my two hiking partners and I were probably in the first stages of hypothermia. I didn't know anything about hypothermia until the 80's, but we were climbing Mt. Everett as the weather turned from a sprinkle to rain to an icy mix to sleet as we ascended. There used to be a shelter just north of the summit where we tried to get warm. Scary stuff.

The Old Fhart
07-18-2009, 21:14
This article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=96956#post96956)on WhiteBlaze tells you everything you need to know about hypothermia.

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 22:25
Was on Franconia ridge and it was 30+ mph sustained winds and partly cloudy.

80 F in the sun and mid 30's F to 40's F in the wind and clouds.

On top of Lafayette was super cold...Walker Skinny Ranger and I had our thermals on and Marje wore the Frogg Togg Jacket to break the wind, and she had thermals on.. Just so glad it did not rain. The hikers on Tuesday weren't as lucky I'm sure.

Doctari
07-20-2009, 08:10
I have hade mild (I had stopped shivvvvvering) to moderate (I was confused & slurring my speach) Hypothermia twice, NEVER did the temp get below 45, the first time it didn't get below 60, & I only hiked 4 hrs to get campsite to campsite. But, both times the conditions were as described for the hikers in Japan: Rain & wind, but mostly Rain. I had a rain coat both times, but not very good ones & once I got started with the Hypothermia, I didn't have the mental agility to stop & fix the problem.

SO, as you can see, just because it isn't freezing, you can still die from the cold.

I still hike in the rain & cold, but I am way more cautious & take measures BEFORE I start to shiver. And, I now have a real good rain coat!

Homer&Marje
07-20-2009, 08:34
Woke up last winter in Shenandoah after a bad night and needed much time to get warm. Like a day or 2. We got soaked in a freak hail storm while setting up tent and then rained on for an hour or so.....we had dinner and went to bed, overnight temps dropped to 15F with 50 + wind gusts coming through...my teeth wanted to break off in the morning and I like the cold and we had layers...just we got soaked....had no pack covers and it was stupid, luckily not costly

MikeG
08-15-2009, 21:42
This is why I love my tent...I have an SL1 and I'm relatively big (6'2 200) between that and always bunking with my dog it generates some serious heat.

Tinker
08-15-2009, 22:10
This is why I love my tent...I have an SL1 and I'm relatively big (6'2 200) between that and always bunking with my dog it generates some serious heat.

Gratuitous tent plug :D:rolleyes:.

Feral Bill
08-15-2009, 22:25
Back when I used to hike/climb in the Whites, most of the deaths on Mt Washington were hypothermia in the summer. Maybe they still are. Cool rain and wind can be very nasty, especially with no shelter.

MikeG
08-16-2009, 13:59
Gratuitous tent plug :D:rolleyes:.

*secrete adversiting plant

garlic08
08-16-2009, 22:27
I can relate. My first experience with moderate hypothermia was descending a 2000' hill on CA Hwy 1 on my road bike, after sweating heavily on the climb from the inland valley. It was 80F in the valley, 50 to 60F with wind and fog on the beach. Down on the beach I barely had the coordination and presence of mind to get camp set up, get the wet clothes off, and get in the sleeping bag. It was a close call in embarrassingly moderate conditions.

Marta
08-17-2009, 06:56
All three males in my family (husband and two sons) have had hypothermic experiences on widely-separated hikes. Common factors: above freezing, raining, windy, wearing cotton. On all of the hikes, the other family members who were not wearing cotton and/or had brought along additional clothing (and were not too stubborn to put it on--you've had teenaged boys, right?), were fine.

Pokey2006
08-18-2009, 10:58
An interesting link:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php

Pootz
08-18-2009, 11:08
In 07 when we went over Mt. Washington it was sunny and around 55 degrees. The next day going over Madison it was 34 degrees with sustained winds of 54 and guest of 94. Not a good day to be on the trail. On our way down off Madison we passed hikers going up in cotton shorts and t-shirts. Many people have no idea what the weather can do on high peaks. We convinced one group to turn back and the other group went on undeterred.

Below is a link to Mt. Washington Weather history.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Pokey2006
08-18-2009, 11:32
A friend of mine hiked up Mt. Washington recently, in rainy, windy conditions. He was wearing synthetic hiking clothes, and he was fine. His companion, however, was wearing jeans, and needed to be treated for hypothermia at the summit.

Not only is the weather similar, but Japan and NH have something else in common: they boast the two most climbed mountains in the world: Fuji and Monadnock. With all those hikers out there, it's a wonder more people don't die.