PDA

View Full Version : Under quilt

Marmotnj
07-18-2009, 21:51
so i recently got my new HH and i love it, but on the colder nights it gets a little nippy on my bottom. for an under quilt i am using a wool blanket that i put inside the hammock under my sleeping bag, this works but if it goes under 50 i can feel it. I really just dont know where to start looking for an underquilt. i have been reading forums, but i dont want to make a purchase until i know what I'm buying.

winger
07-18-2009, 22:01
Click on the Jacks R Better ad logo on this site, I highly recommend them for their quality, efficiency and weight.

Scrapes
07-18-2009, 22:06
first thing you should try is the blue ccf pad sold at walmart. cheap. cut it down a bit and it makes a world of difference.

Im unsure of an underquilt too. I've been checking out the JRB nest.

Do some reading at hammockforums.com

Scrapes
07-18-2009, 22:07
first thing you should try is the blue ccf pad sold at walmart. cheap. cut it down a bit and it makes a world of difference.

Im unsure of an underquilt too. I've been checking out the JRB nest.

Do some reading at hammockforums.com

hammockforums.net!!!!

Hooch
07-18-2009, 22:31
I'll definitely second going to HammockForums (http://www.hammockforums.net) and doing your research there. There are a few choices out there like the Warbonnet Yeti, the KickAss Quilt, the Jacks r Better line of underquilts and the Speer SnugFit underquilt. Personally, my choice is the Speer, but you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned UQ's.

take-a-knee
07-18-2009, 22:51
The only choice for a Hennessy Hammock is a JRB Nest underquilt.

kayak karl
07-19-2009, 00:54
so i recently got my new HH and i love it, but on the colder nights it gets a little nippy on my bottom. for an under quilt i am using a wool blanket that i put inside the hammock under my sleeping bag, this works but if it goes under 50 i can feel it. I really just dont know where to start looking for an underquilt. i have been reading forums, but i dont want to make a purchase until i know what I'm buying.
the walmart pad will drive you crazy. check out ed's site http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm the pads are wider and you dont roll off them. that will get you down to 40*. with underquilt ive been down to 0* in a hammock with out a problem or extra clothes. have fun.

KK

MintakaCat
07-19-2009, 07:16
hammockforums.net is a good location for finding information, however, I never have understood why a separate web site was needed for hammocks. I mean its just another piece of gear but you’ll find folks over there that treat the use of hammocks as if it’s a religion. Oops, I guess by posting this a hammock Fatwā will be pronouncement against me.:eek:

I use a hammock and the JRB “Nest” works great as an under quilt, I’ve been very impressed with the quality and how fast they shipped the item. I should also point out that I too use a HH and the fit of the under quilt works well with it.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-19-2009, 10:47
I made two primoloft underquilts for HH for bearpaw and me. They work really well. ANd Bearpaw will NOT convince me to make him a down one...NO MORE DOWN STUFF!!!!

Wags
07-19-2009, 22:17
hammockforums.net is a good location for finding information, however, I never have understood why a separate web site was needed for hammocks. I mean its just another piece of gear but you’ll find folks over there that treat the use of hammocks as if it’s a religion. Oops, I guess by posting this a hammock Fatwā will be pronouncement against me.:eek:

i like that most of the douchebags and the "hike my hike" guys that patrol this website are not in attendance over there

MintakaCat
07-20-2009, 07:01
i like that most of the douchebags and the "hike my hike" guys that patrol this website are not in attendance over there

I’m just saying that in my observations if you go to that web site you need to be mindful that to some it is a religion. But seriously, if you read the comments there with that concept in mind, you can’t help but see that connection. Hey, I too have a hammock and the web site is helpful in answering questions on gear, which is a great help. But if you look at your comment, you can kinda see what I’m saying.

Cannibal
07-21-2009, 14:02
I’m just saying that in my observations if you go to that web site you need to be mindful that to some it is a religion.
It's called humor and it's about having a good time. The reason for the separate site is so that it can stay focused (mostly) on hammock use. No different from any specialized forum and, unlike most, religion is very rarely brought up. That alone makes it a nice site to visit. A grain of salt may be needed if read by an uptight person, but most find the levity entertaining. One would be hard pressed to find any open arguments or nasty flames on Hammock Forums.

As for hammock information and hammock product reviews, I have yet to find a more complete and helpful site.

Yes, we love our hammocks. Yes, we talk about them all the time. Yes, we over-complicate what could be a simple thing. Aren't you glad we have our own forum? :D

brownc
07-24-2009, 10:38
Since you have a HH. Have you looked into the Super Shelter that they have for sale? I will purchasing a super shelter for my HH in the fall.

RichardD
07-24-2009, 10:48
I am new to hammocking this year, I purchased a Hennesy. I purchased a supershelter for it and was disapointed, although lightweight it is bulky and awkward. I then purchased a JRB nest and am totally satisfied. I have just finished seven weeks on the AT with my hammock and enjoyed the most comfortable camping I have ever experienced.

TimberHanger
07-24-2009, 17:10
What are your thoughts on the HSS? I have a HED and was thinking of adding the SS.I do mostly 3 season camping so I'm hoping that would fit the bill for me. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
T.H.

winger
07-24-2009, 19:14
I purchased the SS for the HH very early on, about 2 years ago and it is a waste of money. Get a good underquilt instead. Plus the quilt is smaller to pack.

sasquatch2014
07-24-2009, 22:48
Ok now to add a mess to the issue. I too hammock but When I was looking into it all and knowing that much of my camping was going to be in the three season area fall winter and spring I didn't want to have to mess with an UQ so I went with a Clark North American. this has the 6 pockets under it that you can stow gear in to get the dead air space which is in essence what an under quilt is. I have hung in mine down to 9* i just the use of gear and ziplock bags to get the dead air space. I will agree that in warm weather it is heavier than you need but that too can be dealt with.

I look forward to using mine this summer with out any pad or the likes. I have an over size tarp on mine and it is just about 3 1/2 lbs. could be lighter but it is the same weight in the winter too. With this I have a 10 X12 tarp to cook and hang out under in this really wet year. If you want run up to VT in the next week and check my set up out. I'll be coming south out of Hanover starting the 28th.

Marmotnj
09-27-2009, 19:45
just received my JRB nest and cant wait to test it out tonight, thanks everyone for your input!

medicdude332
09-28-2009, 15:40
My 2-cents - I've got a Warbonnet Blackbird with Yeti underquilt, had it comfortably down to 40 degrees recently with just a surplus army poncho liner over me - no thermals.

I've looked seriously into the JRB nest - so Marmotnj, how'd your overnighter go? The Yeti is only a 2/3 quilt (covers from your shoulders to your knees), and i'm considering getting a full UQ.

hikingshoes
09-28-2009, 16:12
I have to say i like Hammock Forum as well.being a newbie,Ive had lots of people as me to come along on there Hike/hang,but i cant say that for Whiteblaze.there are great amount of information on both sites..

Marmotnj
11-04-2009, 20:58
hey guys,
I've used my hammock a lot over the summer and a few times this fall, and with the JRB 3 seasons nest its awesome. I can't wait for my next night out, and I'm even more excited about setting out on the trail this march. I've been looking into guide books and was looking to see if any of you guys had a book you liked better. I'll be making a separate topic for this as well, thanks again for all the help.

east_stingray
11-08-2009, 10:47
My 2-cents - I've got a Warbonnet Blackbird with Yeti underquilt, had it comfortably down to 40 degrees recently with just a surplus army poncho liner over me - no thermals.

I've looked seriously into the JRB nest - so Marmotnj, how'd your overnighter go? The Yeti is only a 2/3 quilt (covers from your shoulders to your knees), and i'm considering getting a full UQ.

I've got the same setup and have had it down to freezing comfortably in 150 weight icebreaker thermal pants and a smartwool lightweight top. The guy who makes them advertises 30s for cold sleepers and 20s for warm and I think that's a very fair rating.

MedicineMan
11-08-2009, 11:08
here is an example of someone getting religeous-RichardD said 'the most comfortable camping I have ever experienced.' HA!
The difference, the real difference over there at hammockforums is that over there we have bikers(think harleys),cyclists, paddlers, hunters, AND hiker/backpacker types. The focus is on the complete/total use of hammocks no matter your sport/hobbie/recreation...
There is also some serious brainpower going on over there and even for me whose been hanging for years there is often a new language being spoken about new developments in hanging...an example is UCRs and Whoopies. Took me a while to get the idea/concept but those guys are incredibly patient and upload detailed pics and videos to get you to the point of understanding. In a way it's like how the alcohol stoves have been tweeked and tweeked and tweeked again all striving for the ultimate in efficient use/weight and space savings.
Another HUGE difference is that over there we've already drunk the cool aid and know for us that hanging rules; over here people are on the fence or leery, or have fallen into the camp that hanging is too complicated. I remember a hiker in a shelter saying 'that took you ten minutes to set up', I slept 10 hours....but there I go getting religeous :)
All you need to know about HF is that if you are a newb you'll be treated with patience and you will get answers.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2009, 11:19
I made two primoloft underquilts for HH for bearpaw and me. They work really well. ANd Bearpaw will NOT convince me to make him a down one...NO MORE DOWN STUFF!!!!

Interesting post. Why Not?

take-a-knee
11-08-2009, 15:16
Interesting post. Why Not?

Probably for two reasons:

1) Sewing baffles (to contain the down) is a fair amount of work.

2) Down goes everywhere when it is time to stuff it into the bag/garment.

I've found this technique, using a shop vac, to be fairly mess free:

http://www.tothewoods.net/StuffingDown.html

tech30528
11-08-2009, 15:57
There is a much simpler and light weight solution for this problem. Just go with the Big Agnes bag.The insulated pad not only chases off the chills, but helps the bag hold it's shape. No sagging. And the pad only adds 1 pound to the weight. Very compact to carry, too.