PDA

View Full Version : Just finished volunteering

YoungMoose
07-19-2009, 18:36
Just got back from making the new AT around Bear mountian. We mostly cleared the rocks and stuff from the soon to be trail. I forget the little hill they called it but its amazing how it looks. Its 950ft up of just granite steps. They are doing it all by hand by all native rocks. I cant wait until its done so i can hike on it. THe trail crew leader said that 500,000 people hike that section of the AT every year and only 1% of them are thru-hikers of section hikers.

MOWGLI
07-19-2009, 18:39
Thanks for volunteering. It can be contagious!

YoungMoose
07-19-2009, 18:46
heres a link talking about it.http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/atconservancy/nxtd2/#/10

Lauriep
07-21-2009, 01:37
Thanks for your service to the A.T. You can be proud of the piece of Trail you helped build--forever! Hope you go back again as a hiker and a volunteer.

Maddog
07-21-2009, 04:21
great job! it looks awesome!

Mags
07-21-2009, 10:25
Trail work is hard..but very rewarding. :)

sasquatch2014
07-21-2009, 13:53
Ok now I feel really guilty. I keep saying that I need to make it over to work for a day or two over there I am only 45 min away. I want to be able to say years from now that I was a part of one of the biggest trail projects to take place. I have seen pictures and this is about the scope of some of the the old CCC projects. Glad you were able to come and be a part of history.

Saint Alfonzo
07-21-2009, 21:42
Good Work, Young Moose...

Tinker
07-21-2009, 21:58
Thanks for your work. I'll check it out personally this summer. I've yet to do that section of NY.

David@whiteblaze
07-21-2009, 22:04
geez, all of you guys make me feel guilty for not doing anything on the trail, but i live all the way down in central fl so it's not like i have a choice in the matter

The Weasel
07-22-2009, 01:13
What wonders! Is this section of the AT near the trail inside West Point that new cadet have to take to their summer training?

TW

Ox97GaMe
07-23-2009, 00:30
Isnt that the same section that was in the June/July copy of the ATN? That was a great article. I have to go back and dig that up again. I have had several people ask me when they are going to build steps like that in the Smokies. Awesome is definitely one word to describe them. Amazing is another one.

Mags
07-23-2009, 01:16
geez, all of you guys make me feel guilty for not doing anything on the trail, but i live all the way down in central fl so it's not like i have a choice in the matter

I hear you. Hard to work on the AT when you live X miles away.

But, do what I call 'cross-trail' karma. The Florida Trail may have some projects (not sure about this time of the year, though! :D). Almost every country or town has a local park or open space that could use some help, too.

If you want to volunteer, probably plenty of opportunity abound. I met some people a little older than you who spend a summer working trails. Who knows? Maybe some to look into for the future. Better than washing dishes at a local restaurant when I was 14. :p

sasquatch2014
07-23-2009, 19:51
Isnt that the same section that was in the June/July copy of the ATN? That was a great article. I have to go back and dig that up again. I have had several people ask me when they are going to build steps like that in the Smokies. Awesome is definitely one word to describe them. Amazing is another one.

Yes that would be the some project. It really is a big project and the article hardley does it justice. check out the NY/NJ Trail Conference site for more info on this. In the next few years my section right at the Train stop on the AT here in Pawling is slated to have a boardwalk similar to the one in Pochuck NJ be put in. Feel free to come up when we are doing that and get a bit dirty, I'll even cook you dinner.

LIhikers
08-08-2009, 20:23
You can find more info about the Bear Mountain project at www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/index.html (http://www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/index.html)

V.I.P.
11-08-2009, 20:25

You could get a taste for it on the Florida National Scenic Trail. The Association has a great motto, "First we eat, then we build trail." They are a fun bunch. I know a few Wisconsinites from the Ice Age Trail Mobile Skills Crew who escape winter and continue to lend a hand.

Bulldawg
11-08-2009, 20:27
Just got back from making the new AT around Bear mountian. We mostly cleared the rocks and stuff from the soon to be trail. I forget the little hill they called it but its amazing how it looks. Its 950ft up of just granite steps. They are doing it all by hand by all native rocks. I cant wait until its done so i can hike on it. THe trail crew leader said that 500,000 people hike that section of the AT every year and only 1% of them are thru-hikers of section hikers.

Well don't discuss it here, according to Jack T, this site is geared toward long distance hiking. I can't see it myself, but if Jack says so, then it must be so.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On the other hand, thanks for helping out the trail for ALL HIKERS, not just thru hikers.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2009, 20:41
Young Moose:

Thanks for your efforts, that's really cool.

And Bulldawg, thanx for your comments too. I bet when you finagle that stick out of your ass you're actually a swell guy! :D

Bulldawg
11-08-2009, 21:18
Young Moose:

Thanks for your efforts, that's really cool.

And Bulldawg, thanx for your comments too. I bet when you finagle that stick out of your ass you're actually a swell guy! :D

I'm a real swell guy Jack, ask any of the hikers who I've helped in Georgia every year. Don't see many of them here on WB though. Funny being how this site is actually geared towards only long distance hikers. But yeah, I think you would think I was swell guy. I was a swell enough guy to give you a plenty large swig outta my flask at MTXINGs back in the spring. Didn't know then you had some kind of aversion to us lowly section hikers. Oh and BTW, I had my wife check, there isn't a stick up my ass, we couldn't figure out what you were talking about. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2009, 21:36
Bulldawg:

This is a really stupid argument and I refuse to get drawn into it.

I suggest you take a minute and look at the section here on "Polls" and look at the one called "How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?" It dates from January 2004.

You'll see that I not only responded to the original pollster's question, but you'll also see that I was the FIRST person to respond to the question.

Why don't you take a minute and go look what I said if you want to see how I feel about section hikers, OK? And since I know you have integrity, why don't you post the whole quote here so others can see how I feel about them, and that way they can decide for themselves how I feel about this. You might also want to quote what other people said about my comments (and some of these folks were section hikers by the way).

I suspect this will end this completely ridiculous argument.

You might not have a stick in your butt but you sure have some wrong ideas in your head.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2009, 21:44
Bulldawg:

I suggest you take a minute and look at the section here on "Polls" and look at the one called "How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?" It dates from January 2004.

You'll see that I not only responded to the original pollster's question, but you'll also see that I was the FIRST person to respond to the question.

Why don't you take a minute and go look what I said if you want to see how I feel about section hikers, OK? And since I know you have integrity, why don't you post the whole quote here so others can see how I feel about them, and that way they can decide for themselves how I feel about this. You might also want to quote what other people said about my comments (and some of these folks were section hikers by the way).

You might not have a stick in your butt but you sure have some wrong ideas in your head.
bulldawg is a damn good guy. a good patriot. father. husband

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2009, 21:46
I'm sure he's a great guy, Wolf.

And that's why I hope he looks up that quote so he can really see how I feel about section hikers.

I don't mind if people disagree with me here, Wolf, it happens all the time, but it'd be nice if their complaints had substance or least a basis in fact.

I don't have a problem with section hikers and I never have.

Bulldawg
11-08-2009, 22:05
Bulldawg:

OK Jack, you were at that time rather favorable of section hikers, day trippers, and overnighters. I'll admit to that. But that was four years ago. And while you may still harbor those same feelings, your posts over the past few days and weeks cause me to feel otherwise. But in the spirit of reconciliation and that all hikers are simply hikers I'm going to just steer clear of arguing it anymore. And if I see ya in the Georgia woods this coming spring, I might even give ya another swig outta my special flask even.

Bulldawg
11-08-2009, 22:06
bulldawg is a damn good guy. a good patriot. father. husband

Thank you Wolf. I appreciate that, I try real damn hard.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2009, 22:16
"Rather" favorable. Geez, I thought it was a VERY friendly post. Anyone who's comfortable with the "quote" mechanism is welcome to re-print the quote here so people can judge for themselves. And my recent comments had NOTHING negative to say about section hikers. All I said was that most of the traffic here at Whiteblaze involves longer-distance hikers and I can't for the life of me understand why this simple statement of fact managed to upset some people here.

everyman
11-08-2009, 22:21
In NY today it way 70 degrees F, beautiful weather for hiking in early Nov, and I did Bear Mtn loop trail, but return route from top of mtn via AT took us on detour around section advertising that construction in progress. When is the new section being advertised scheduled to open?

bascomgrillmaster
11-09-2009, 01:56
Hi Young Moose,
Thanks for working on the trail.Stone work is a lot of fun.We will be working in Fahnestork State Park on the ATnext spring.Doing the same kind of stone work as Bear Mountain.Drop us a line, RPHCV timtrek.mikentim.com We could use some more good help.See you on the trail.Basomgrillmaster

LIhikers
11-20-2009, 19:13
In NY today it way 70 degrees F, beautiful weather for hiking in early Nov, and I did Bear Mtn loop trail, but return route from top of mtn via AT took us on detour around section advertising that construction in progress. When is the new section being advertised scheduled to open?

The original project called for completion in 2011. I don't know if things are on schedule or not.
www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/pdfs/Bear%20Mountain%20Phasing.pdf (http://www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/pdfs/Bear%20Mountain%20Phasing.pdf)