PDA

View Full Version : 37 Maps 17 Mail Drops

GeneralLee10
07-19-2009, 23:19
The list here is for maps only I tried to make my choices close to the end/beginning of a map. The map/s that I am done with will try and mail them home when possible. It would be helpful for me if you that have done this before could give me some input. If you see a spot that could be moved and why just say so I can look into it. Thank You

1) Blueberry Patch Hostel

2) Fontana Village, Nc

3) Standing Bear Farm

4) Erwin, Tn

5) Damascus, Va

6) Pearisburg, Va

7) Glasgow, Va

8) Waynesboro, Va

9) Luray, Va

10) Harpers Ferry, Wv

11) Boiling Springs, Pa

12) Delaware Water Gap, Pa

13) Great Barrington, Ma

14) Hanover, Nh

15) Gorham, Nh / Pinkham Notch

16) Stratton, Me

17) Monson, Me

Johnny Swank
07-20-2009, 07:22
I had more maildrops than that for food +maps. Never again. While carrying extra maps are a pain, I'd cut the number of places in half and carry the extra weight. You can always send home maps as us use them if you happen to be in a town.

If you haven't already bought them, you may want to consider purchasing some along the way or buying a half set. Maybe buy half now, then the other half once you get to Harper's Ferry. Not saying you won't make it, but the fact is that 75% don't.

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2009, 15:38
Seems like a lot of drops to me, too, especially if you're planning to include food at all these spots. Keep in mind that many of the places you cited have perfectly good supermarkets, i.e. there is no rerason whatsoever to send food to many of these places.

In other words, I hope some of your mail spots are JUST for maps or small things, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money needlessly on postage. Sending big boxes of food to towns that have enormous supermarkets is a waste.

GeneralLee10
07-21-2009, 08:19
Yes the maildrops are for maps and some small items. I do not see the need to carry many maps. At most I will have 4 maps and that is after Ga. My food I will get in the towns that I pass through and pick up my maps. Most of the spots show in the companion there is a grocery store of some kind. The idea is to carry as less as possible at the start. This way it will asure me that I will finish and not hurt myself in the begining try-n to be He-man.

Seems like a lot of drops to me, too, especially if you're planning to include food at all these spots. Keep in mind that many of the places you cited have perfectly good supermarkets, i.e. there is no rerason whatsoever to send food to many of these places.

In other words, I hope some of your mail spots are JUST for maps or small things, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money needlessly on postage. Sending big boxes of food to towns that have enormous supermarkets is a waste.

Blissful
07-21-2009, 14:27
Wow you have a lot of maps to carry betw PA and MA drops for NY and CT. Might consider a drop inbetween.

GeneralLee10
07-21-2009, 20:42
now this is what I was expecting Thank you. So I had a problem making a choice in some spots. This is where I needed some input from people that know the trail. To you, what would be some spots to think about. My plan was to mail the maps home when done with them. Tell me please what should I look into as far as the towns go and places that are good to use. Thank You! :)

Wow you have a lot of maps to carry betw PA and MA drops for NY and CT. Might consider a drop inbetween.

sleegunn
07-21-2009, 21:39
I am not speaking from experience since I have never thru-hiked, but I live in Unionville, NY and we are very hiker friendly here (note that the post office does close at lunch time for an hour - very small town!). I am sure there will be plenty of experienced hikers that can weigh in on the best places, but I wanted to give my new hometown a plug.

sarahgirl
08-01-2009, 03:40
I am not speaking from experience since I have never thru-hiked, but I live in Unionville, NY and we are very hiker friendly here (note that the post office does close at lunch time for an hour - very small town!). I am sure there will be plenty of experienced hikers that can weigh in on the best places, but I wanted to give my new hometown a plug.

I will vouch for him...I spent my 21st birthday at the Backtrack Inn if I remember correctly, slept in a hostel aka broom closet located right next to the bar. It was great. Got really drunk with the locals and owners of the bar, they closed the bar and we partied until early morning, and even the next day they gave us a ride up to the trail. Hiker friendly town I'll say! :D

bobbyw
08-04-2009, 16:36
I think it looks fine.

flyingturtle
09-29-2009, 13:40

And the sub sandwiches at the store are most excellent! :D

Spokes
09-29-2009, 13:46
lndwlkr, Just curious but why all the maps? Most thru's do just fine carrying the handbook. If I did it over again I would only consider maps covering New Hampshire.

Blissful
09-29-2009, 14:18
lndwlkr, Just curious but why all the maps? Most thru's do just fine carrying the handbook. If I did it over again I would only consider maps covering New Hampshire.

It is a safety issue. And if you get lost (we did and glad I had maps), get hurt or someone else does, you need a bail, avoid a t-storm, look for a quick camp site, a map can show you where you are. I would never skimp on map to save weight or anything else, no way.

I really dislike it when people come on here saying don't carry a map to save weight or mail drop. Or you can simple "follow the little ol' white blazes" like the yellow brick road as if carrying a map is purely infantile. That to me is stupid advice. SO what if your particular thru goes fine without it? Someone else's might not and your advice could make or break it (more people than not do not finish because of injury or other things). You can go hike without one. But don't advocate to someone else to go without it.

End of rant.

GeneralLee10
09-29-2009, 14:52
I would carry a map all the time. I just hiked the first 30 miles of the AT last month. I had the first few pages of the 2009 App. Pgs and the info was incorrect, said there was one stream before Stover Creek shelter and that is not true. I found that there was two crossings the one before the shelter had a bridge. The one before that was not noted in the App Pgs., and I was using the pgs only Yup had to get "THE MAP" out and what do you know it was correct (The Map) in this area and the pgs were what NOT correct. I am by no means saying anything Bad about the Author/s of the Book as humans do make errors and land does change over time. I was in the Surveying business for 13 years and a map to me is a must have.

ShoelessWanderer
09-29-2009, 14:53
It is a safety issue. And if you get lost (we did and glad I had maps), get hurt or someone else does, you need a bail, avoid a t-storm, look for a quick camp site, a map can show you where you are. I would never skimp on map to save weight or anything else, no way.

I really dislike it when people come on here saying don't carry a map to save weight or mail drop. Or you can simple "follow the little ol' white blazes" like the yellow brick road as if carrying a map is purely infantile. That to me is stupid advice. SO what if your particular thru goes fine without it? Someone else's might not and your advice could make or break it (more people than not do not finish because of injury or other things). You can go hike without one. But don't advocate to someone else to go without it.

End of rant.

Very nice rant. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy096.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Spokes
09-29-2009, 15:46

End of rant.

Yes, nice rant indeed! I almost broke out in a sweat reading it.

Anyone know if there's been any past polls on WB regarding the topic? It'd be sort of fun seeing the percentages of people who used just the handbook, handbook and maps, or just maps.........

Graywolf
09-29-2009, 21:29
This is a very good thread. One that needs discussing for I too have been told not to go without maps, which I find to be a premature way of thinking when hiking. ALWAYS go with maps. Even if you know the way, you may run into someone who is lost and can lead them in the right direction.

What happened to the companion, I thought by changing it, it was to be much lighter and take up less space? When I recieved mine, I could not believe how heavy it was. My 2004 companion is only 3 1/2 inches wide and weighs mere ozs. This new one is almost 6 inches and weighs a ton. I left mine on the bunk at Neels Gap. It was just too heavy and never used it once. The maps and guide books was just fine and gave me all the info I needed.

Ditto to the post on inaccuracy, I too was coming to streams that were not metioned in the guide book. I made a note of them and moved on.

I hope ALDHA goes back to the companions previous format.

whitelightning
09-30-2009, 20:01
The list here is for maps only I tried to make my choices close to the end/beginning of a map. The map/s that I am done with will try and mail them home when possible. It would be helpful for me if you that have done this before could give me some input. If you see a spot that could be moved and why just say so I can look into it. Thank You

2) Fontana Village, Nc

3) Standing Bear Farm

4) Erwin, Tn

5) Damascus, Va

6) Pearisburg, Va

7) Glasgow, Va

8) Waynesboro, Va

9) Luray, Va

10) Harpers Ferry, Wv

11) Boiling Springs, Pa

13) Great Barrington, Ma

14) Hanover, Nh

16) Stratton, Me

17) Monson, Me

You can easily trim this list down a bit. Eliminate 3 & 4 and have a drop in Hot Springs instead. Eliminate #9 Luray. Consider using the waysides in SNP and resupply in Front Royal if that is a concern. I'd skip #11 and have a drop at Duncannon or Port Clinton to spread the weight of the PA maps out (the ones I had were single-sided). Otherwise it looks OK.

emerald
10-07-2009, 14:35
This list, once tweaked, should be linked to ATC Maps List (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=903080&postcount=5). There are more drops than necessary. Keep in mind the postage involved and the actual weight of the maps.

These maps don't weigh much. Sometime someone should actually weigh them on an accurate scale that registers grams. Then we can talk numbers and poke holes in some of the silly stuff posted here.

take-a-knee
10-07-2009, 14:49
I thought the Blueberry Hostel was closed. I'd get shuttled to the Hiawasse Inn myself. There is a Weis's Supermarket there that has everything you'll need.

*Monkey*
10-18-2009, 12:52
This is a very good thread. One that needs discussing for I too have been told not to go without maps, which I find to be a premature way of thinking when hiking. ALWAYS go with maps. Even if you know the way, you may run into someone who is lost and can lead them in the right direction.

What happened to the companion, I thought by changing it, it was to be much lighter and take up less space? When I recieved mine, I could not believe how heavy it was. My 2004 companion is only 3 1/2 inches wide and weighs mere ozs. This new one is almost 6 inches and weighs a ton. I left mine on the bunk at Neels Gap. It was just too heavy and never used it once. The maps and guide books was just fine and gave me all the info I needed.

Ditto to the post on inaccuracy, I too was coming to streams that were not metioned in the guide book. I made a note of them and moved on.

I hope ALDHA goes back to the companions previous format.

One option to avoid carrying heavy maps / guidebooks without ditching them altogether would be to start a bump box. Check out my article on how to do this on HubPages:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Bump-Box-A-Thru-Hikers-Guide

Anything is possible,

*Monkey*

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 12:21
Don't do maildrops, it's very easy to resupply in towns and will actually be cheaper in almost every case if you factor shipping in the prices.

Jack Tarlin
10-19-2009, 12:26
Lots of information on maildrops, re-Supply, alternate mail locations, etc. in the "Articles" section of this website.

ShelterLeopard
10-19-2009, 13:03

2) Fontana Village, Nc

3) Standing Bear Farm

4) Erwin, Tn

5) Damascus, Va

6) Pearisburg, Va

7) Glasgow, Va

8) Waynesboro, Va

9) Luray, Va

10) Harpers Ferry, Wv

11) Boiling Springs, Pa

13) Great Barrington, Ma

14) Hanover, Nh

16) Stratton, Me

17) Monson, Me

I'm NoBoing next year too. Can I make a suggestion? Don't plan too many maildrops after the first month. First, there are tons of good places to resupply, second, right now, you probably don't know what you'll want to eat after a month of hiking and pasta dishes and oatmeal.

My plan is to have three (or even four) boxes in the first month with everything I need, including food, then after that month, I can call home and say what I need in the next boxes, and I have a feeling that it'll only be maps, my issue of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and some "specialty" foods.

Of course, I've never thru hiked, but I feel like this could be a good approach. Or it'll be totally wrong and I'll die on the trail. Whichever.

Ladytrekker
10-19-2009, 13:21
So whats better the AT thru hikers guide or the trail data handbook?

ShelterLeopard
10-19-2009, 13:23
I personally am a devotee of Appalachian Pages- the 2009 edition is very good, informative, and all around great.

Rockhound
10-19-2009, 13:35
you don't need any maps and you don't need any maildrops. Just be sure to plan all your spontaneity at regular intervals.

emerald
10-19-2009, 18:37
I personally am a devotee of Appalachian Pages...

Got a link?

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 09:23
To where you can buy it, yes (though the 2010 isn't out yet)

http://www.appalachianpages.com/

It has all the information I've ever needed!

emerald
10-20-2009, 12:00
Danke schön!

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 12:11
Bitte schön!

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2009, 13:31
There may well be some dramatic changes with Appalachian Pages this year.

I would wait to hear more from the authors in regards to their plans before pre-ordering the 2010 edition.

emerald
10-20-2009, 14:48
They're not publishing it auf Deutsch, are they?:)

pjbarr
10-20-2009, 15:21
i'll be carrying a lot of maps on my thru next year not because i need them, but because i love maps. instead of reading at night, i look at maps. i'm addicted to them. i'll have a print out of a 1:24,000 scale topo map of every foot of the trail, not all at once of course. and sheets of paper burn easily. i love topo maps, profile maps, and descriptive guide books. rather than help me know where i am, i mainly enjoy them for use of knowing where i've been or where i'm going. they help with writing journals and recalling locations and of course planning the next days or week ahead.

also, i like them to know if there is anything of particular interest to me just off of the trail that otherwise i might miss. like an old cemetery, a waterfall, a peak of interest to climb.

for me, maps enrich my experience and are worth the extra weight. :datz

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 18:06
Ich denke nicht so, Emerald! (Af far as I know- maybe that's the big change Jack means!)

And Jack- what changes- should I be glad that I got the 2009 edition instead of waiting for the 2010? (I thought the 2009 wasn't too different from the 2007...)

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2009, 18:41
The biggest change is that Appalachian Pages may not be published in 2010; however, one of its authors, David Miller (AWOL 2003) will be coming out with a new guidebook, which will hopefully be available early next year.

mikec
10-20-2009, 18:51
I've used about as many maildrops as the original poster. I have copied sections of the data book/companion/appalachian pages and placed them along with the correct map in my mail drop. One thing that I did learn in New England this summer is that you don't have to carry more than 4-5 days of food (except for the 100 mile wilderness.) I ended up bouncing a box forward so that my pack would be lighter. The only problem with that is that I beat my bounce box to my next stop and had to buy food anyway.

10-K
10-26-2009, 17:26
The biggest change is that Appalachian Pages may not be published in 2010; however, one of its authors, David Miller (AWOL 2003) will be coming out with a new guidebook, which will hopefully be available early next year.

Ah, that's a drag... I carried the AP and 501's book because I found them to be complementary to one another. Very frequently one has good information the other lacks. Now what?

weary
10-26-2009, 22:03
Seems like a lot of drops to me, too, especially if you're planning to include food at all these spots. Keep in mind that many of the places you cited have perfectly good supermarkets, i.e. there is no reason whatsoever to send food to many of these places. .....
Well, there is one small reason. The stuff in supermarkets comes in sizes that are either bigger or smaller than what I need to sustain me until the next supermarket -- or at least that was true in 1993 along the trail, and remains true in 2009 at the three supermarkets that I shop with some regularity.

Also, by shopping the sales and specials one can eat cheaper. Generic oatmeal, rice, and other staples can be bought much cheaper over the months at home, than is available in the convenient food sections of trail stores.

However, I partially agree with you. Should I attempt another thru hike -- unlikely, at age 80 with multiple ills that make long distance hiking extra challenging -- I would shop more in stores along the trail, for a variety of reasons --including shipping costs. But while doing so, I know I would be faced with weight and cost challenges. I would likely regularly be carrying more than I had needed to carry when I reach resupply stores, or would from time to time find myself skimping in anticipation of the next store or restaurant.

This, I know, is less of a problem for new hikers, who won't know what they need, or will like, or even can still eat, weeks in advance. But having fed myself on and off trails for the past 65 years or so, I pretty much know what I need for food to sustain each days activity. And even what I will still enjoy for the umpteenth time, and what I won't.

Buying as one goes along has its many advatages. But so does buying in advance and using the USPS for resupply, at least for some of us.

Weary

Awol2003
10-26-2009, 23:05
Ah, that's a drag... I carried the AP and 501's book because I found them to be complementary to one another. Very frequently one has good information the other lacks. Now what?

"The A.T. Guide" will have everything that App Pages had and more. Website is same as book's name without periods or spaces.

10-K
10-27-2009, 09:33
"The A.T. Guide" will have everything that App Pages had and more. Website is same as book's name without periods or spaces.

Works for me, thanks for the info.

Enoch02
10-31-2009, 09:42
This list, once tweaked, should be linked to ATC Maps List (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=903080&postcount=5). There are more drops than necessary. Keep in mind the postage involved and the actual weight of the maps.

These maps don't weigh much. Sometime someone should actually weigh them on an accurate scale that registers grams. Then we can talk numbers and poke holes in some of the silly stuff posted here.

The heaviest of the maps sold with the official guidebooks (ATC) is 88 grams. Some are as light as 35 g. I weighed the maps using a calibrated digital balance at work. It is accurate to 0.01 g. With trimming, if you're into that, even the heaviest maps can be trimmed a bit.

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2009, 16:14
Of for heaven's sake, map trimming is ridiculous and represents gram weenieism at its worst. I've actually seen someone try and brush their teeth with a sawed-off toothbrush.......ridiculous. It's perfectly possible to be weight conscious without going to absurd lengths. One could trim the pages of one's guidebook, too, and save a handful of grams, and this would be equally silly.

emerald
10-31-2009, 23:56
Trimming maps reduces their resale value.

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 00:00
Of for heaven's sake, map trimming is ridiculous and represents gram weenieism at its worst. I've actually seen someone try and brush their teeth with a sawed-off toothbrush.......ridiculous. It's perfectly possible to be weight conscious without going to absurd lengths. One could trim the pages of one's guidebook, too, and save a handful of grams, and this would be equally silly.

I know- full length toothbrush for me, thank ya very much.

(I don't skimp or trim, and some would say I carry "unnecessary" things, like a dry bag to cover my down sleeping bag. But who was laughing when it rained and she was dry?)