PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking with Children

drainwater
07-20-2009, 07:58
My solo 2012 thru hike has morphed into my family joining me. I am excited about them joining me and the impact the trail experience may have on them. Hiking will be myself, my wife, and our two boys ages 10 and 16 at the time of the hike. Does anyone know of someone who has thru hiked with children or of journals of people that have? I am sure there are speacial situations hiking those distances with children and am looking for inspiriation/advice.

Waddle On!
07-20-2009, 09:32
Troll (Dad), Anchor (Mom) and Oblivious thru hiked in 2005 when Oblivious was 10 (?). In 2007 Troll and Oblivious thru hiked the PCT and are hiking the CDT this year. Their journals can be found on trailjournals.com. Triple crown at 14!

ShelterLeopard
07-20-2009, 09:34
My solo 2012 thru hike has morphed into my family joining me. I am excited about them joining me and the impact the trail experience may have on them. Hiking will be myself, my wife, and our two boys ages 10 and 16 at the time of the hike. Does anyone know of someone who has thru hiked with children or of journals of people that have? I am sure there are speacial situations hiking those distances with children and am looking for inspiriation/advice.

Cool- I think that's what Cascade's family did when she was 11. It clearly worked out well, because now she thru hiking again, this time with her boyfriend Pogo. (She's 18 now, I think).

drainwater
07-20-2009, 10:23
Troll (Dad), Anchor (Mom) and Oblivious thru hiked in 2005 when Oblivious was 10 (?). In 2007 Troll and Oblivious thru hiked the PCT and are hiking the CDT this year. Their journals can be found on trailjournals.com. Triple crown at 14!

Thank you, I can't wait to read the journal!

Alli
07-20-2009, 14:30

Do you know if they are still on the trail? Their journal hasn't been updated for about a month.