PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands

rpenczek
07-20-2009, 12:36
Will be hiking with a group from Roan High Knob to Dennis Cove Rd in two weeks (beginning August 3rd). Can anyone provide insight as to water. Our expected camp spots are as follows:

Overmountain Shelter
Mountain Harbour B&B (I am sure there is water here)
Mouuntaineer Shelter
Just South of Moreland Gap Shelter
Ending at Kinkora (I am sure there is water here)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tennessee Viking
07-20-2009, 13:49
I was up at the Barn on the 4th. Plenty of water. Its been pretty much a good rainy summer. Any dry spells are countered by sudden down pour.

Summit
07-20-2009, 13:59
Yep, as TV says, it's been a wet spring/summer. There will be water in more places than your trail data indicates, and all listed sources should be flowing very well.

Be sure you strike out northbound from Roan High Knob . . . it can be confusing . . . trust me, experience talking! :o The way the road winds getting there, I could have sworn southbound was northbound, and I have a pretty good sense of direction. You'll want to take a sharp right at the parking lot spur trail / AT junction.

Tennessee Viking
07-20-2009, 14:41
I would plan on camping at the Barn. The mice were quite hyper on the 4th. Running laps around the loft and fighting like bears.

rpenczek
07-20-2009, 15:38
We will very likely camp at each spot, rather than use shelters, but thanks for the heads up on the mini-bears (mice).

rpenczek
07-20-2009, 15:40
Tack on question, are there blue berries and black berries in the Roan Highlands like there are in the Grayson Highlands? Assuming there are, will they be ripe the first week of August?

Tennessee Viking
07-20-2009, 15:54
Tack on question, are there blue berries and black berries in the Roan Highlands like there are in the Grayson Highlands? Assuming there are, will they be ripe the first week of August?They should be up any day now. Most of them will be found on the Balds.

Summit
07-20-2009, 16:08
I would plan on camping at the Barn. The mice were quite hyper on the 4th. Running laps around the loft and fighting like bears.Yep, it's a "do not miss" place to stay due to the views, but can be very crowded. There were in excess of 50 people the Saturday night my son and I camped there in June, hence the happy mice! - probably far less in the middle of the week. In winter I stay in the barn . . . summer tent it out in the open area.