PDA

View Full Version : Meeting thru-hiker for Presidential Range

edsel99
07-20-2009, 13:00
My brother is currently working to become a thru-hiker on the AT. He is currently in Massachusetts. I would like to meet him for the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. Having spent the last 10 years backpacking in the Adirondacks I know nothing about New Hampshire hiking. I was hoping someone could help me with my questions.

Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. Is this the typical hike for a Presidential Range Hike?
How long should it take us? (medium pace enjoy the views.)
I'm a hammock hanger will I have any trouble finding a place to sleep.
Do I need to get a permit to be hiking in the Whites?
Should I be considering a different portion of NH along the AT.
Are there places near the road that I can camp if I am there the night before I need to meet my brother or do I have to find a campground?

Sorry for the newbie questions and Thanks for the help.
Eric

MOWGLI
07-20-2009, 13:20
3 days would be nice. Crawford Notch to Mizpah Hut or the campsites near there. Madison Hut the next day, or drop off the ridge near there for a campsite. Up and over Madison and down to the road on day 3.

My sister drove 2 friends to the summit of Mt. Washington. We hiked from there to Pinkham, then went into Gorham for a day off, and then hiked SOBO from Gorham. One of my buddies bailed on a sidetrail near Imp Campsite.

Good luck.

Homer&Marje
07-20-2009, 13:28
My brother is currently working to become a thru-hiker on the AT. He is currently in Massachusetts. I would like to meet him for the Presidential Range in New Hampshire. Having spent the last 10 years backpacking in the Adirondacks I know nothing about New Hampshire hiking. I was hoping someone could help me with my questions.

Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. Is this the typical hike for a Presidential Range Hike?
How long should it take us? (medium pace enjoy the views.)
I'm a hammock hanger will I have any trouble finding a place to sleep.
Do I need to get a permit to be hiking in the Whites?
Should I be considering a different portion of NH along the AT.
Are there places near the road that I can camp if I am there the night before I need to meet my brother or do I have to find a campground?

Sorry for the newbie questions and Thanks for the help.
Eric

I don't like to extend over 10 miles per day in the Whites. Personal preference, usually hard miles.

Hammock might be a problem at higher elevations because of density issues

No permit, go prepared though, they charge you if you screw up the least little bit and need SAR

Don't think you need to consider another section, it's difficult but very rewarding.

Could probably find a place near a road, there is plenty of campgrounds

edsel99
07-21-2009, 13:08
Thank you for all the input.

Blissful
07-21-2009, 14:20
I can tell you, if your brother is a seasoned thru hker by the time he reaches you and you are just joining him, I would not do the Presidentials with him. He will be conditioned and seasoned to the whole game - you wont be (no matter how much experience you have. You cannot match what he would have been doing day in and day out for over four months). It could be demoralizing for you and hard mentally for him, having to slow to a crawl or otherwise. I'd personally select a different area of the AT to enjoy together. Even MA or Vermont. The Whites are tough enough with the terrain and conditions. Also depends on each of your attitudes toward the trail and each other. But it's up to you.

Homer&Marje
07-21-2009, 14:35
I can tell you, if your brother is a seasoned thru hker by the time he reaches you and you are just joining him, I would not do the Presidentials with him. He will be conditioned and seasoned to the whole game - you wont be (no matter how much experience you have. You cannot match what he would have been doing day in and day out for over four months). It could be demoralizing for you and hard mentally for him, having to slow to a crawl or otherwise. I'd personally select a different area of the AT to enjoy together. Even MA or Vermont. The Whites are tough enough with the terrain and conditions. Also depends on each of your attitudes toward the trail and each other. But it's up to you.

If he's on an easier section then he's going to be conditioned and moving much faster. The White Mountains can be a great equalizer, You can do steep, hard, short miles and feel very rewarded about it...gives an opportunity for the thru hiker to slow down and enjoy the hike and the incredible Presidentials.... just my thought on that.

Tin Man
07-21-2009, 15:06
If he's on an easier section then he's going to be conditioned and moving much faster. The White Mountains can be a great equalizer, You can do steep, hard, short miles and feel very rewarded about it...gives an opportunity for the thru hiker to slow down and enjoy the hike and the incredible Presidentials.... just my thought on that.

Blissful is a thru-hiker, so I think that gives her answer some credibility here. The point really is can edsel and his brother agree to an itinerary and hike together. Being that they are brothers, maybe the thru-hiker would not mind slowing down in the Whites... and is Edsel in good enough shape to do 8-10 miles/day in the Whites. Those climbs and descent from the notches are, shall we say, interesting. :)

Homer&Marje
07-22-2009, 07:05
Blissful is a thru-hiker, so I think that gives her answer some credibility here. The point really is can edsel and his brother agree to an itinerary and hike together. Being that they are brothers, maybe the thru-hiker would not mind slowing down in the Whites... and is Edsel in good enough shape to do 8-10 miles/day in the Whites. Those climbs and descent from the notches are, shall we say, interesting. :)

No, Blissful WAS a thru hiker, and now is a section hiker (guess I could consider myself the same)

That's where I was trying to go with the great equalizer comment. I can easily hike 2-3 MPH in just about any terrain...Not because I'm a thru hiker but because I am in shape.

I hiked about...3/4 of a mile an hour through the whites with the Wife, her two bad knees, and her little brother (He is 14 he can hike fast, does a lot of waiting)

I enjoyed every second I was out there and had time for my obsession, pictures, of which I have much less time for to find the really cool things when I'm speeding along on my own. There are all sorts of rare plants and animals through the Whites, especially the Presidentials, that exist no where else in the world, don't you teach that to the scouts:rolleyes:

Slow down and enjoy...Humbly opinionated

I was moving so slow I picked up a hitch hiker:D:D

rootball
07-22-2009, 08:03

That is intuitive.

Blue Jay
07-22-2009, 09:41

I agree 100%. Southern NH or even parts of Maine are other options but anywhere but the Whites. Other reasons are that it's easier to work for stay at the huts as a single and to stealth camp. He may have to move fast to avoid a storm or stop altogether and wait for one to pass.

Ox97GaMe
07-23-2009, 00:27
The other thing that is important here is to understand that a mile does not equal a mile on every trail. Miles in the Whites are HARD miles to get on the ridgeline. The Adirondaks are similar in nature to the Whites, just not as high of elevation. I would say that if you are comfortable with hiking 15-18 miles a day in the Adirondaks, then you should be fine hiking 10 miles a day in the Whites.

Your hardest day will be the first, getting up to Webster Cliffs. From there, you will have ups and downs across the ridge. From Mitpah Hut to Madison Hut isnt all that bad if you are in decent shape. It isnt like you are trying to do Pinkham to Rt 2, or N. Woodstock to Crawford, with all of its ups and downs.

As for camping, depending on how long you plan to meet your brother, your best options might be over near N. Woodstock. It would be about an hour drive from there to Crawford. There is also a stealth campsite on a short side trail near the old railroad station. The issue with trying to stealth camp is that you need to set up at dusk and take down at the crack of dawn so as to minimize the chance of getting caught.

Homer&Marje
07-23-2009, 07:53
The other thing that is important here is to understand that a mile does not equal a mile on every trail. Miles in the Whites are HARD miles to get on the ridgeline. The Adirondaks are similar in nature to the Whites, just not as high of elevation. I would say that if you are comfortable with hiking 15-18 miles a day in the Adirondaks, then you should be fine hiking 10 miles a day in the Whites.

You can do simple math to determine how "hard" it will be. Rule of thumb that I was taught was to add 1 "extra" mile for every 1000' of elevation change up or down. So if you hike 10 miles with 5000' of elevation change, your body will have exerted about 15 miles worth of energy.