PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrators from Bass Pro

Ashman
07-20-2009, 21:48
I got a gift card from Bass Pro. I don't normally shop there but I was looking at thier dehydrator seen here:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97756_325011001_325000000_325011000_325-11-1

Anyone know about these units?

LaurieAnn
07-20-2009, 22:03
Ashman... don't go with the unit that you posted the link to. It's only 350 watts and you'd be better off with this model....

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102880_325011001_325000000_325011000?cmCat =CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I know it is a little more expensive but I find units over 500 watts to be a better value. Open Country and Nesco are made by the same company too.

LaurieAnn
07-20-2009, 22:05
I forgot to mention... the model I posted the link to also has the adjustable thermostat whereas the one you have been looking at doesn't. I've used a model with a fixed temperature and it's a royal pain... so make sure you have a temperature control.

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 05:22
Ashman, don’t worry too much about LaurieAnn’s rule of 500 watts. (My apologies LaurieAnn.) Excalibur dehydrators use less and achieve the same results. You can reference the tests I did on the two. She is right about the adjustable thermostat, you will need that.

Allen1901
07-21-2009, 10:48
+1 on the temperature control
Don't buy a dryer without a fan or temp control. You won't be happy with it.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 11:08
Ashman, don’t worry too much about LaurieAnn’s rule of 500 watts. (My apologies LaurieAnn.) Excalibur dehydrators use less and achieve the same results. You can reference the tests I did on the two. She is right about the adjustable thermostat, you will need that.

That's a general rule for models from manufacturer's such as Nesco... Excalibur and L'Equip are in a different league. The 350 watt Nesco and Open Country models are really not worth the effort. Same with Mr. Coffee, Ronco and Deni.

Most people aren't going to fork out $200 or more for an Excalibur or L'Equip unless they are doing a lot of dehydrating.... and with that said... I use a Nesco FD 75 (700 watt model) and I use it much more than the average person especially with my like of work. If it ever burns out I might justify the expense of L'Equip but after 4 years of running at least 200 days a year the Nesco has really been worth every cent.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 11:24
That's a general rule for models from manufacturer's such as Nesco... Excalibur and L'Equip are in a different league. The 350 watt Nesco and Open Country models are really not worth the effort. Same with Mr. Coffee, Ronco and Deni.

Most people aren't going to fork out $200 or more for an Excalibur or L'Equip unless they are doing a lot of dehydrating.... and with that said... I use a Nesco FD 75 (700 watt model) and I use it much more than the average person especially with my like of work. If it ever burns out I might justify the expense of L'Equip but after 4 years of running at least 200 days a year the Nesco has really been worth every cent.
True. I have an Excalibur, but I do a lot of dehydrating. If I was an occasional dehydrator Excalibur would probably be a waste of money.

If you're just getting into dehydrating, it's generally best not to buy top-of-the-line; best to learn on the cheaper models and work-up. And if you find that dehydrating sucks for you, you haven't wasted too much money.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 11:31
I got a gift card from Bass Pro. I don't normally shop there but I was looking at thier dehydrator seen here:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97756_325011001_325000000_325011000_325-11-1

Anyone know about these units?
Looks like a typical starter-type dehydrator. At $45. that's pretty cheap, I don't know how much the department store ones are, been a while since I've owned one, or even priced them.

If you do get a dehydrator like this and like dehydrating and want to upgrade later on, an important option to look for in a dehydrator is temp. control function.

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 13:17

Well, let me sum things up with this.

1. Do you need 500 Watts to dehydrate food? No, I have an Excalibur 2400 rated at 220 watts and it does just fine compared to the Nesco FD 75. And yes I’ve had both units.

2. Does the Excalibur 2400 cost $200? No, you can get the Excalibur 2400 for nearly half that for $102.35 at the following link:

http://www.housewareplaza.com/excalibur2400excalibur4trayfooddehydrator-black.aspx

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 14:36
$200 for me... remember I am in Canada... lower dollar value and shipping. Houseware Plaza doesn't ship up here.

The Excalibur is a different style of dehydrator as well... (as I said "different league" - the top/bottom fan models under 500 watts don't do a good job, normally don't have a thermostat and aren't worth the $49.00. Bottom line crap.

Better to put that money towards a Nesco that is 500 watts or more and still cheaper than the Excalibur. Seeing as the original poster wants to use a Bass Pro gift certificate I thought the model I posted a link to would be a better value for him.

Frosty
07-21-2009, 15:10
Well, let me sum things up with this.

1. Do you need 500 Watts to dehydrate food? No, I have an Excalibur 2400 rated at 220 watts and it does just fine compared to the Nesco FD 75. And yes I’ve had both units.I don't think you can compare Nesco and Excaliber units like that. My pickup has more horsepower than my wife's car, but that doesn't mean it accelerates faster. Just the opposite.

You get a 220 watt Nesco and it will absolutely NOT perform like your 220 watt Excaliber.

Seriously.

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 15:55
I don't think you can compare Nesco and Excaliber units like that. My pickup has more horsepower than my wife's car, but that doesn't mean it accelerates faster. Just the opposite.

You get a 220 watt Nesco and it will absolutely NOT perform like your 220 watt Excaliber.

Seriously.

exactly :D

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 17:10
I don't think you can compare Nesco and Excaliber units like that. My pickup has more horsepower than my wife's car, but that doesn't mean it accelerates faster. Just the opposite.

Seriously.

Ah, that's not the point. I don't recall saying anything about the Nesco needing to be 220 watts.

My point was this: The 500 watt criteria doesn't make sense as the lessor wattage units do the same thing. The wattage rating is a factor of the design. Forcing a Nesco to 220 watts is a bazzar concept, LOL.

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 17:50
$200 for me... remember I am in Canada... lower dollar value and shipping. Houseware Plaza doesn't ship up here.

The Excalibur is a different style of dehydrator as well... (as I said "different league" - the top/bottom fan models under 500 watts don't do a good job, normally don't have a thermostat and aren't worth the $49.00. Bottom line crap.

Better to put that money towards a Nesco that is 500 watts or more and still cheaper than the Excalibur. Seeing as the original poster wants to use a Bass Pro gift certificate I thought the model I posted a link to would be a better value for him.

Exchange rate for 1 dollar is 1.10453 CAD, but I was posting that for Ashman.

I'm only telling Ashman that I like my Excalibur 2400. I got it for $99 here in the states awhile back and it's worked fine for me. If you have a different opinion that's fine too. Like I've said before the Nesco is a fine product too. But you have to understand that not everyone is going to agree with you on this, and that would be me.:D

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 19:04
When I bought my dehydrator it was about 1.30 CAD for a US dollar. Add GST and duties and it wasn't worth my while when the Nesco works very well.

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 19:59
When I bought my dehydrator it was about 1.30 CAD for a US dollar. Add GST and duties and it wasn't worth my while when the Nesco works very well.

I doubt that's an issue for Ashman since he's in North Carolina.:D

Frosty
07-21-2009, 21:27
Forcing a Nesco to 220 watts is a bazzar concept, LOL.It is indeed. It wouldn't do the job.

That's why you need more wattage for some types of dehydrators and less wattage for others.

220 watts is great for your Excalibur. You don't need more.

Units less well built with a less efficient design need a lot more that 220 watts. Like someone said, 500 is a good rule of thumb for these units.

And an adjustable thermostat.