PDA

View Full Version : Highest calorie content per ounce?

Clervis
07-20-2009, 22:44
Just wondering what you guys think the most economical food would be in terms of energy/weight regardless of the taste. I'm trying to think how theoretically far I could get without a resupply point.

The Weasel
07-20-2009, 23:13
There are three kinds of food content in terms of calory density: Carbohydrates (including all forms of sugar), which have 4 calories per gram; Protein, which has 4 calories per gram; and fats (any kind, saturate, unsaturated, polyunsaturated, whatever) with 9 calories per gram. Your body needs (average) about 20 grams of protein daily, which is easy. Hiking requires around 5,000 calories per day, which can be anything. That means - I'm serious here - that after your mandatory protein intake, and some vitamins/minerals (from a pill is fine), you need about 4,900 more. The most efficient therefore is 1# of fat, which comes out to about 2,000 calories. Butter or margarine works just fine. Cheese is next best, since it contains some protein, as well as some carbs, which are inefficient.

TW

HIKERJEN
07-20-2009, 23:19
20 grams of protien/ day!? That seems really low- I would think you'll burn up a lot of your muscle mass eating such a low amnt. of protien/ day ! I'm 5'5'', weigh 133 lbs., and eat about 120 gr. protien/day ! I also lift weights, though. Your quads and hamstrings get a lot of work hiking w/ a pack up & down hills.

Doctari
07-20-2009, 23:50
Olive oil, 280 cal / Oz

Jim Adams
07-20-2009, 23:54
Christmas fruit cake...sure it tastes odd but it is heavy in calories. also fig newtons...1600 calories per pack.
wash it down with dark beer or milkshakes.

geek

The Mechanical Man
07-21-2009, 00:10
Just wondering what you guys think the most economical food would be in terms of energy/weight regardless of the taste. I'm trying to think how theoretically far I could get without a resupply point.

Clervis,......
First of all, Welcome to Whitebaze :banana Enjoy.

Like most other long distance hikers, your diet will include Pop tarts, Ramen noodles, pouch tuna, chicken or spam, Lipton dinners, instant potatoes and gravy, and lots of mac and cheeze.

What kinds of foods were you planning on?

Tinker
07-21-2009, 00:15
Christmas fruit cake...sure it tastes odd but it is heavy in calories. also fig newtons...1600 calories per pack.

geek

An Ed Garvey favorite. He got his from the Claxton bakery in North Carolina. I stopped by on the way back from Florida back in 1999 and bought a couple. Heavy, but once you get used to the taste, it packs a good carbohydrate punch.

Fig Newtons and beer????????
Jim, you are a strange man!!!!:D

sarbar
07-21-2009, 00:27
Hostess Fruit Pies. 480 calories/20 grams fat. Chewing is optional. :D

Tinker
07-21-2009, 00:42

So how's the Queen of quisine been? Nice to see you here on Whiteblaze now and then.

mkmangold
07-21-2009, 00:50
Sarbar, nice to hear from you.
But I think the question is not about taste but rather about caloric density which would be fat. Maybe peanut oil for a LITTLE taste advantage? I just realized something the other day, too: carbohydrates are NOT essential. Your body requires fat and protein but can produce carbs from both. So maybe the real answer is whey protien mixed in oil. Perhaps we can devise a stove that runs off of peanut oil so it would be mutl-use.

sarbar
07-21-2009, 00:59
Truthfully, I can't just eat fat and protein while hiking. I have to have carbs - such as rice or pasta, bread, etc. I eat a lump of protein and it takes forever to digest. Not fun when then hiking uphill after lunch. So...for me, I keep my diet mixed during the day, but do eat more "heavier" protein with fat at dinner - it also keeps me warmer at night.
So I joke about the pies, but it does fuel me ;)

Jim Adams
07-21-2009, 01:00
Fig Newtons and beer????????
Jim, you are a strange man!!!!:D

If you are going to dunk....make it Guinness!:D

geek

mkmangold
07-21-2009, 01:15
Truthfully, I can't just eat fat and protein while hiking. I have to have carbs.. ;)

I was being silly. I still think Purina Monkey Chow is the ideal food if a person can stomach one taste, texture, and consistency for an extended length of time. Personally, I think humans were created or evolved to relish variety for survival purposes. Hmmm. did I say "relish"?

Heater
07-21-2009, 05:08

geek

We aughta start a Christmas fruit cake depository for hikers. You could feed a whole season.

jrnj5k
07-21-2009, 10:38
olive oil hands down.

Peanuts are good.

Really the higher percentage fat the better for what your asking. But you cant survive on fat so the question is wrong.

the most nutritionally full and calorically dense would probably be muesli and nuts and chocolate chips mixed together like a super trail mix.

Allen1901
07-21-2009, 10:42
I vote for Pemmican:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

Cheers!

HIKERJEN
07-21-2009, 10:44
I take protien powder along, to mix with water- digests fast, and is lightweight to carry !

drastic_quench
07-21-2009, 10:53

geek
The darkness of a beer has no correlating relationship with its calories. It's just a common misconception. Lots of people talk about Guinness (just one example) being a "meal in a can", but it is actually pretty low in calories - roughly the same as a glass of skim milk.

Of course there are dark beers that have lots of calories too, like any Russian Imperial Stout. This is because more malt is used. The dark color is only the result of how much the malted barley is roasted.

Jim Adams
07-21-2009, 11:10
The darkness of a beer has no correlating relationship with its calories. It's just a common misconception. Lots of people talk about Guinness (just one example) being a "meal in a can", but it is actually pretty low in calories - roughly the same as a glass of skim milk.

Of course there are dark beers that have lots of calories too, like any Russian Imperial Stout. This is because more malt is used. The dark color is only the result of how much the malted barley is roasted.

Exactly but dark beer is much better with fruit cake or fig newtons and Guinness especially if dunking!:D

trust me!

geek

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 11:16
20 grams of protien/ day!? That seems really low- I would think you'll burn up a lot of your muscle mass eating such a low amnt. of protien/ day ! I'm 5'5'', weigh 133 lbs., and eat about 120 gr. protien/day ! I also lift weights, though. Your quads and hamstrings get a lot of work hiking w/ a pack up & down hills.

I have to agree that this is low for what we need protein-wise.

Nuts, seeds and dried fruit are good for bumping up the calories as is fat. Add extra fat to your pasta meals with grapeseed or olive oil.

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 11:17
Also.... marzipan (almond paste)... another high calorie one... good on top of fruit cake.

fiddlehead
07-21-2009, 12:02
lightweight but power-carbs: Instant mashed potatoes.

Homer&Marje
07-21-2009, 17:31
Loaded Instant mashed is a fantastic mix of fat and carbs. I like those 7 minute rice sides, found some wet ramen noodles in the food bag and they mixed well, added some chicken seasoning and Cheddar Broccoli rice. We were full:D

Saw some thruhikers eating Wheat tortilla wraps with bag tuna and honey...seemed interesting.

We mix our tuna with our cheese on sandwiches (Bulky roll or tortilla usually) Pepperjack cheese is the favorite there, add some olive oil make it Italian tuna:D

Also took some Tuna and mixed it with a shrimp ramen and made a nice tuna noodle casserole, get some dehydrated peas, carrots, onions and stuff you could be GOLDEN!

4Bears
07-21-2009, 19:48
Roasted soybeans pack a pretty good punch, 1/3 cup (30g), 140 calories, 13g protien, 6g fat, 9g carbs, 5g fiber, nice addition to trail mix along with a little chilli powder.

Egads
07-21-2009, 20:33
Foie Gras is mighty rich; doesn't pack well though

AZJ_Jerky
07-21-2009, 20:39
Fatty Goose Liver is a bit more humane...

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-21-2009, 21:20

geek

It also has the shelf life of centuries.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that!) :)

TD55
07-21-2009, 21:21

Olive oil and peanutbutter sandwichs made with bagels.

saimyoji
07-21-2009, 22:15
uhhhhh most calories for the weight: other hikers.

Dogwood
07-22-2009, 01:34

I think you are best to think of this as two questions. When you ask about energy/weight what I think you are more precisely asking is - what gives the most amount of calories per gram(cals./g) or cals per ounce(cals/oz.)? An ounce is about 28 grams. Like Weasel pointed out the most amount of cals per oz. you can get is from pure fat. When you ask about most economical I think you are asking about financial cost. For that I think you should examine the dollar cost per oz., lb., or gram of various fats like olive oil, lard, vegetable oil, etc.

I will tell you this. A diet soley based on fat(s), any kind of fat(s), is not a healthy diet. You need carbohydrate and protein cals. for long and short term energy like hiking requires. If you are moving in the direction of lowering the weight of trail food you carry I would consider various diets based on various percentages of total calories consumed from fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. For example, if you want to design a diet based on consuming 4000 cals. per day and want 40 % of your total cals. coming from fats, 30 % of your total daily cals. coming from carbs, and 30 % of your total daily cals. coming from protein you woud be consuming 1600 cals daily in the form of fats, 1200 total daily cals from carbs, and 1200 daily cals from protein.

You need to research this some more!

TD55
07-22-2009, 01:55
I ment to say what Dogwood just said. Olive oil and Peanutbutter sandwichs made with bagels.

LaurieAnn
07-22-2009, 09:06
I ment to say what Dogwood just said. Olive oil and Peanutbutter sandwichs made with bagels.

Considering the average large bagel is about 60 grams of carb that would be pretty decent.

fredmugs
07-27-2009, 09:27
It seems really low because it's wrong. The "average" non-hiking person typically should have a 2,000 calorie a day diet with 60 grams of protein and 65 grams of fat. Eating at least 100g of protein a day while hiking should be your goal.

Your hiking style is going to dictate how much you need to eat each day and everyone is different. Also, in my opinion, if you are hiking 7 days or less you DO NOT need to replace every calorie you burn. You need a caloric deficit of 3,500 just to drop one pound.

I'm not going to tell you what I eat each day because I eat relatively little. Anyone on here who tells you what to eat is giving you bum scoop as well since they don't know you (age, height, weight, type of hiker, etc).

There is no relationship between the nutritional value of what food you bring and how far you can hike by eating it (you are not a car). I think you're much better bringing what you like instead of trying to reach nutrition goals.

mrc237
07-27-2009, 10:47
Corn Beef Hash and Sardines (do not mix:))

trippclark
07-27-2009, 11:15
An Ed Garvey favorite. He got his from the Claxton bakery in North Carolina.

Just to clear up the geographical reference, the Claxton Fruit Cake Company is in Claxton, GA, a small town in southeast Georgia, not too far from Vidalia, GA. http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/

leeki pole
07-27-2009, 11:35
My favorite is deviled ham on a bagel with cheese. When my aunt used to take me fishing, that's what we would always eat. I guess I'm the sentimental sort, but it always reminds me of her.:sun

leeki pole
07-27-2009, 11:39
Oh yes, an apple for dessert as well. Those were good times.

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 11:46
There is no relationship between the nutritional value of what food you bring and how far you can hike by eating it (you are not a car). I think you're much better bringing what you like instead of trying to reach nutrition goals. (Fredmugs)

Really??? You make some good pts. Fredmugs, but this is not one of them. It is my illusion that the nutritional value of trail food has a direct and significant impact on how far one can hike! Just consuming olive oil as trail food or noshing on Pop Tarts all day definitely is related to how far one can hike. Tell any professional athlete there is no relationship between their athletic performance and nutrition and they will think you are misinformed or nuts.

I do agree with you that the types of food we eat while on the trail is only one factor, but as I said before, a significant factor, in how far one can hike between resupplies.

mister krabs
07-27-2009, 12:04
Macadamia nuts, 203 calories per ounce.

And they taste great.

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 12:16
Seeing a pattern here yet? Food high in good fats or all fat. All fat ex: EVOO, Grapeseed(how does that taste?), etc. High fat ex: marzipan, peanut butter, just about anything that is a nut or seed or made from nuts or seeds( yeah, macadamias are high in fat, coconut, and don't forget chia, flax, somba, pumpkin, sunflower, hemp, etc)

Scooby99
07-27-2009, 22:36
Here is a good site for meal planning: http://www.nutritiondata.com/
I have used it to plan meals for nursing school, my personal life, and for hiking. Breaks down meals to calories, fats, carbs, proteins, and a bunch of other stats as well. Its also helpful on building meals with complete proteins from vegetarian sources. I make my own freezer bag meals from dehydrated veggies, soup mixes and instant rices and has been invaluable in analyzing the meals.

Deadeye
07-28-2009, 12:56
Just remember one thing - nothing else matters about your food if you don't want to eat it. Nothing.

LaurieAnn
07-28-2009, 13:05
Just remember one thing - nothing else matters about your food if you don't want to eat it. Nothing.

very well said

chiefduffy
07-28-2009, 16:00
I'm surprised no one has mentioned honey. I don't know where it falls in the the calorie to weight ratio, but it packs a punch. 'Specally with peanut butter on a tortilla. mmmmm, honey

Tenderheart
07-28-2009, 16:18
Didn't I hear somewhere that protein requirements are: 2 grams per kilogram of body weight? That may have been only for body builders.

litefoot 2000

LaurieAnn
07-28-2009, 16:21
I'm not sure of the exact mathematical end of it off the top of my head. Protein is extremely important. While sugars/carbs give you the energy right away, you need the protein to help your muscles repair and to give you energy for that later.

summermike
07-28-2009, 17:30
This is the best online article I could find about athletes (which thruhikers are) and protein needs. There's a lot of crap on "fitness" and "bodybuilding" web sites written about protein intake. This article is by the Dept. of Health Psychology at Vanderbilt University and sites peer-reviewed nutrition and sports medicine journals as sources. It's short and to the point.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/Protein.htm

LaurieAnn
07-28-2009, 18:19
Just like most things... in moderation. Backpacking isn't body building and I wouldn't recommend a body builders diet while hiking... but you still need a certain amount of protein. Sticking within the .8 grams per kilo RDA works well according to the article you posted (thanks for that by the way). That's easily incorporated with things like quinoa and beans/legumes combined with grains or meats if you happen to prefer that.

Mrs Baggins
07-28-2009, 18:56
If you are going to dunk....make it Guinness!:D

geek

Guinness is good for you! I've been to the brewery in Dublin and they have displays about how it was given to pregnant women and others who were not feeling up to par and how much it helped them. It's loaded with vitamin B and has fewer calories than any other full calorie beer as well as less calories than many "light" beers and most sodas! It's hugely nutritional and its good for you!:banana

Mrs Baggins
07-28-2009, 18:56
Also.... marzipan (almond paste)... another high calorie one... good on top of fruit cake.

As Bill the Cat would say.......gaaaacckkk!

Heater
07-28-2009, 20:03
Guinness is good for you! I've been to the brewery in Dublin and they have displays about how it was given to pregnant women and others who were not feeling up to par and how much it helped them.

...and you wonder why?

brooklynkayak
07-31-2009, 10:07
I have to agree that this is low for what we need protein-wise.

Nuts, seeds and dried fruit are good for bumping up the calories as is fat. Add extra fat to your pasta meals with grapeseed or olive oil.

I remember reading an article from an Olympic sports nutritionist that active people don't require that much more protein than non-active people. Active people do need a lot more carbs and fat though.
Protien can be converted into fuel, but is slower and increases stress on certain organs, liver and kidneys, if I remember correctly? The consumption of too much protein can lead to gout, uric kidney stones and other ailments.

As far as muscle repair, body building and all that goes, consuming more protein than what is needed doesn't do any good.

If you want to keep the pack size down:
Peanut butter is one of the most perfect and densest foods. Has good amount of protein, fat, fiber and carbs and also has a good amount of potassium which active people need more of, but it isn't a complete food as some would have you believe.

Stick pasta is about the densest source of carbohydrates. Rice and other heavy grain come in second. Oatmeal and grits arent as good because they are light and full of air(I still caryy them though). Of course nuts and dried fruit, jerky, ... all save space.

Of course,v ariety is important,

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 11:10
Do you remember what the article is? I'd love to read it - I like to read a variety of sources.

Also, one has to also keep in mind that there are proteins in places where you don't expect it... some grains for example. You can have lentils and rice together to form a complete protein.

A lot of inactive people eat too much of everything including protein and fat. The type of protein you are talking about leading to gout and other issues is definitely in excess. I'm not saying to eat like a body builder or cosume protein powders.... but it is still a very important building block when we are considering physical health in active people whether at home or on the trail.

I've known thru-hikers that have ended up with muscle wasting and all sorts of other issues because they didn't eat enough or keep a balanced diet. It's the balance that is key. I'm fortunate that I do work for a professor of nutrition at a major university here so I have a resource at my finger tips. It helps a great deal when creating recipes.

Fiddleback
08-01-2009, 09:58
I rediscovered Oreos last night -- 142 calories per ounce, lots of fat, lots of sodium and potassium, lots of sugar.

But, hey! No cholesterol and doesn't contribute to fetal alcohol syndrome like the above use of Guinness.;)

FB

Deadeye
08-01-2009, 14:07
You can't feed your body junk and then expect it to perform. A balanced diet - low on junk food (like pop tarts and oreos) - is important for long-term peak functioning. Weekenders can thrive on whatever, but for 6 months of hiking, you need quality food to fuel and nourish body and mind.

kayak karl
08-01-2009, 14:54
You can't feed your body junk and then expect it to perform. A balanced diet - low on junk food (like pop tarts and oreos) - is important for long-term peak functioning. Weekenders can thrive on whatever, but for 6 months of hiking, you need quality food to fuel and nourish body and mind.
What would be a good diet? one days menu. what would you suggest, as i agree junk food is not healthy?

Deadeye
08-02-2009, 09:33
What would be a good diet? one days menu. what would you suggest, as i agree junk food is not healthy?

Breakfast: oats in whatever form you prefer. I usually have either oatmeal (5-minute or quick is preferable to instant) with added raisins, blueberries, apples or cherries; or meusli (raw oats, nuts & raisins) with powdered milk. Don't know why, but I like a spoonful of sugar on my oatmeal, but I eat the meusli unsweetened. Granola is my second choice, but watch the ingredient list, many granola are heavy on sugar and saturated fats.

Snacks/lunch (I don't usually differentiate between the two - lunch is a little longer break and bigger snack): all sorts of combinations of dried or fresh fruits, granola, pita bread, bagels, nuts, nut butters, cheese. Chocolate,too, (I'm not applying for sainthood). I'll often throw in a protein shake mid day. Hard-boiled eggs get worked into breakfast or snacks, too. Maybe a can of sardines or whatever, but only if a known trash can is coming up soon - they smell. Sometimes I'll have some bulghur wheat soaking in the pack for tabouli.

Dinner: any combination of four ingredients: one flavoring, one "starchy" carb, one vegetable, and one protein. For example: cheesy mashed potatoes with dried broccoli and a can of chicken; or pad thai noodles with dried mixed veggies and a can/pouch of shrimp; pea soup with dried ham and dried potatoes and carrots. Whenever possible, I use fresh veggies instead of dried. Things like carrots, potatoes and apples travel well. I also usually add a shot of olive oil to dinner - I get small packets from Minimus.

Coffee, tea, or hot cocoa whenever. An after dinner 'medicinal' shot of something nice to sip is nice on occassion, too.

Like I said, I'm not applying for sainthood or becoming a monk, and candy and an occasional pop-tart (frosted raspberry) definitely work their way into the program, and I crave an ice-cold Coke, but I find that I feel better and hike stronger if I eat as well as I can, subject to the limitations of what I can carry on my back.

There are so many possibilities, and lots of them are readily available and cheap.