PDA

View Full Version : Keeping backpack dry while hanging?

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 07:38
How does everyoe keep their backpack dry from rain when they are hanging it in a tree to keep it away from the bears?

NCYankee
07-21-2009, 08:18
I carry a large garbage bag if I am hanging my pack from bear cables and just hang it there. If I am in a shelter I just hang it inside the shelter, space allowing.

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 08:22
I will be in the smokies. Do they require you to hang it eve if I am going to be at a shelter the whole time?

Tinker
07-21-2009, 08:32
This should probably be moved to the general forum.
Most people hang their packs. Many people empty them of everything first. If you use a pack liner or waterproof stuffsacks you can keep track of your gear and separate out the food and scented products and hang them from a tree limb, bear cables, whatever (or you can sleep with them, which works for some people, apparantly). You can keep your other gear with you in your tent, under your hammock (or over, in and around it, etc. for safeguarding). Put your name on all your gear, or at least on every stuffsack, so it doesn't get confused with other folks' gear.
Reader's Digest answer for me is, "I hang my pack empty, upside down, from an appropriatly sized tree using the waistbelt" (well, most of the time, anyway).
Leave the pockets unzipped so mice can go in and explore without having to chew holes in your pack (they can smell food that used to be in there).

modiyooch
07-21-2009, 08:37
This is why I like my external pack. I hang my food, and simply stand it up against a tree and slip a garbage bag over it to keep dry. It never gets muddy or wet, and I never drag it into a tent with me and it's always within steps from my tent, or hammock.
I'm so old school, but it works.

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 08:38
So, sorry to accidentally put this in the wrong forum. I apologize.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 08:47
there's no need to hang a pack :-?

Tinker
07-21-2009, 09:00
So, sorry to accidentally put this in the wrong forum. I apologize.
No apology necessary.
I just thought you'd get more responses.
There are hikers on this forum who've hiked many, many more miles than a single thruhike, and I've learned a lot from them.

Tinker
07-21-2009, 09:03
there's no need to hang a pack :-?
Some folks like to keep their gear dry and clean. Neither is possible when backpacking, so I see your point.
In my case, I like to keep ticks out of my stuff (spiders, too). Hanging doesn't necessarily do either, but it's a better bet than laying everything out in the dirt.
Yes, Tucker, plan on getting dirty and wet. Just learn to be happy when you're dirty and wet and you'll do fine.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 09:06
my pack and food go in the tent with me

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 09:26
How does everyoe keep their backpack dry from rain when they are hanging it in a tree to keep it away from the bears?

I put two raincovers on- a cheap one on the back, my good one on the front, pull the handle out from between the two and rig up a plastic bag around it- I'm really into dry gear.

Engine
07-21-2009, 09:38
This only works well with two packs to hang, but my wife and I leave the rain covers on the packs and hang them facing each other so the unprotected areas are basicly covered by the other pack. Now we just hang our food and use our packs as pillows though...

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 09:43
If I sleep with my food, what are my chances with bear encounters?

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 09:44

slim to none

George
07-21-2009, 09:50
my pack goes under my feet for a pad

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 09:55
I usually do the foot pad thing too. Just not sure if there was something to be cautious about in the smokies.

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 10:02
my pack goes under my feet for a pad

You know, I never thought of doing that- that would probably be the perfect amount of elevation for my feet. Good idea:banana

gearfreak
07-21-2009, 10:06

This link (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm) lists facility closures or warnings due to bear activity in GSMNP. You can test this strategy at any of these sites and report back. :cool:

Nean
07-21-2009, 10:24

Me too. Never had a wet pack, never have had anything chewed, never had a problem w/ bears or any other critter.;)

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 10:27
Me too. Never had a wet pack, never have had anything chewed, never had a problem w/ bears or any other critter.;)
You don't hike much, do you:eek:

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 10:34
Mixed opinions. Guess I am hanging my bag unless it rains or since I have to stay in the shelter I will just wait and see what everyoe else does.

Nean
07-21-2009, 10:45
You don't hike much, do you:eek:

Well, perhaps not as much as you john, but enough to form an opinion,:rolleyes: Let me know when you want to compare resumes.:D

leeki pole
07-21-2009, 10:45
If you're dumb enough to hang all your worldly possessions and your subsidence in a tree, out of your sight, I'm not taking investment advice nor hiking with you. Sorry.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 10:46
Mixed opinions. Guess I am hanging my bag unless it rains or since I have to stay in the shelter I will just wait and see what everyoe else does.
FWIW, I always bring my pack into my tent.

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 10:48
I have never hung it before.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 10:50
Well, perhaps not as much as you john, but enough to form an opinion,:rolleyes: Let me know when you want to compare resumes.:D
I ain't one of the vetrans, no where near that catagory. But I've been out enough to have been soaked to the bone, not to mention having a wet pack and have mice, or whatever, chew thru my pack, or chew my laces up, and a couple scary run-ins with bears...so there:p

Nean
07-21-2009, 10:57

Add together all the sleep with -experience and compare it with all the don'ts and you will have an answer based on combined experience.:-? LW and I have well over 45 thousand between just us.;) Then again " much" is just a matter of perspective and experience.:o Still waiting for mr. gault to give us his.:rolleyes:

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 11:00
I have hiked with coolbreeze before and he always kept his in the tent so I will side with ya'll on this one.

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 11:00
Do you have to stay in the shelters in the smokies?

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 11:12
Do you have to stay in the shelters in the smokies?
Read pages 11-13 http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/07%20Compendium.pdf

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 11:37
PS- I only hang my pack if I'm in serious bear country, or if I saw any evidence of bears nearby. Usually I prop it against a tree or hang it in the shelter.

David@whiteblaze
07-21-2009, 12:08
what does fwiw mean? (i am homeschooled and therefore a bit sheltered.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 12:09
what does fwiw mean? (i am homeschooled and therefore a bit sheltered.

for what it's worth

sasquatch2014
07-21-2009, 12:57
When I hammock most gear goes in the pockets under my rig and then the food gets hung somewhere else along with wrappers etc. The pack often just lies under my hammock fly with pockets open so the mice come in and the mice go out and don't feel the need to chew. In the shelter I use the mouse hangers or a peg and call it good but still do the food the same way. Black bears may be intrested in the food but not you but it's a good habit to store food elsewhere in case you decide to hike in areas where you are no longer at the top of the food chain.

Plodderman
07-21-2009, 13:15
I hang my food and toothpaste and anything else that smells like food but the pack stays with me in the shelter. I hang it inside the shelter and bring a tuna can with me and some string to keep the mice off. Unzip your pack so the mice will not chew through.

Happy hiking.

Hoop Time
07-21-2009, 13:52
As a relative beginner, I am a little befuddled here. I know all about the idea of hanging my food bag. Not sure why I would want to hang my pack? I know to leave zippers/pockets open so mice don't chew through them. But if my food is out of my pack, why would I want to hang it?

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 14:27
But if my food is out of my pack, why would I want to hang it?

because paranoid, inexperienced people are telling you to

Hoop Time
07-21-2009, 15:06
because paranoid, inexperienced people are telling you to

Well, no offense to anyone else. Many here have been helpful in many ways. But if LW says no need to hang my pack, I ain't hanging it (though I will admit I am not as confident as he when it comes to not hanging my food).

tiptoe
07-21-2009, 15:07
Food and cookpots go in a tree-hung bear bag, and a rain-cover goes on the backpack, which goes under my hammock and tarp.

Bilko
07-21-2009, 15:48
I'm with LW, George, and Nean. I put my empty pack under my feet for elevation. I will occassionaly hang my food bag, but very seldom. Never had a problem with animals coming into my tent or chewing on anything. In the smokies I did hang my food bag.

Cassie
07-21-2009, 16:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker0104 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=870632#post870632)

slim to none

I had more bear encounters in the Smokeys than anyplace else on the trail last year. I also had a bear rip open my tent and take my pack out from underneath my legs in the middle of the night (not in the Smokeys).

Black bears can and WILL come into your tent to get food, even if you're in the tent. I would never sleep with food in my tent, especially not in the Smokeys.

Tenderheart
07-21-2009, 16:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker0104 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=870632#post870632)

I had more bear encounters in the Smokeys than anyplace else on the trail last year. I also had a bear rip open my tent and take my pack out from underneath my legs in the middle of the night (not in the Smokeys).

Black bears can and WILL come into your tent to get food, even if you're in the tent. I would never sleep with food in my tent, especially not in the Smokeys.

Oh, cmoe on now! Aren't you just being paranoid? An animal that I fear the most with food in the tent is a skunk. This little critter can do some major damage. Come on people, sleeping with food nearby is just not a good idea, no matter who said so.

litefoot 2000

sweetpeastu
07-21-2009, 16:51
okie i"m supposed to be going to the Smokey Mtns. in a month and I know they'll fine you if you don't hang your food usin the bear cables...but what is this about hanging your pacK?! I've never hung my pack....ever. Is this some sorta personal preference...or something else they'll fine ya for in the Smokeys?

ChinMusic
07-21-2009, 16:55
Is this some sorta personal preference...or something else they'll fine ya for in the Smokeys?
Personal preference. There is no such rule.

In fact SOME places state that you are NOT to hang your pack from cables/poles as the weight is too great for their design.

summermike
07-21-2009, 17:44
Aren't you just being paranoid?
It happened to me, so no.

As far as damage, we found my pack the next morning shredded to ribbons, my camp shoes had a bite taken out of them, and there was a large L-shaped rip in the side of my Hubba.

leeki pole
07-21-2009, 17:48
Hike with a dog, pack and food in the tent, no worries.

Tin Man
07-21-2009, 18:15
when i tent, the pack goes in the vestibule or under a sil-nylon tarp i carry for kitchen space in rainy conditions and the food bag goes in the tent... exception, where there are bear boxes, i might put my food in there, if it isn't too trashed or crowded

i tried hammocking in the whites last week. the pack went under the hammock - the tarp more than covered the pack and kept it dry even in all night rain. the food bag went in the bear boxes, except when i stealthed, then i put it in the hammock.

Cannibal
07-21-2009, 18:24
When it's cold my pack is under my feet in the hammock. Otherwise it's on the ground under me or hanging under the tarp on the suspension.

rickb
07-21-2009, 20:50

But you are usually armed, correct?

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 20:51
But you are usually armed, correct?

i got two arms. yeah

rickb
07-21-2009, 21:03
i got two arms. yeah

A gun.

For protection.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 21:06
A gun.

For protection.

i don't carry

a gun

on the AT

for protection

yet...

toegem
07-22-2009, 08:04
I bear bag the food and hang it away from me, the pack goes to where ever it ends up. I believe even thought the chances of an encounter of the euarctos americanus kind maybe slim, but why tempt fate especially since I already spend my nights in a bear burrito.