PDA

View Full Version : Leaving your car in the parking lot overnight.

montag451
07-21-2009, 09:02
I was thinking about taking an overnighter in the Highlands and was wondering if anyone had any trouble with leaving their cars overnight. I'll probably take a couple of buddies and hike a bit of the AT and camp overnight. I just want to come back to a car in the morning. :)

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 09:05
it's very safe inside the park but i personally wouldn't park a vehicle at the rt 600 or rt 603 trailheads

Tinker
07-21-2009, 09:05
Borrow an empty, well used shotgun case, leave it open in plain view. Leave nothing else in plain view.
Put a "For Sale" sign on your car. If a stupid would-be thief calls to see where you are so he can steal your ride, you have his phone# (if he's using a cell) on record.

Panzer1
07-21-2009, 09:06
Don't leave any valuables in the car, like music CD's or money.

Panzer

Skyline
07-21-2009, 09:36
Two suggestions:

1) Park at Massie Gap inside Grayson Highlands state Park (I assume that's the "highlands" being referred to). It's safer there than at VA600/Elk Garden or VA603/Fox Creek.

2) Park inside Grindstone Campground and take the Mt. Rogers Trail to the AT, then the AT north to the High Country. Same way back or you could get creative using horse trails but if you don't know the area, maybe not.

Each of these options will involve a nominal entrance fee.

montag451
07-21-2009, 16:23
Two suggestions:

1) Park at Massie Gap inside Grayson Highlands state Park (I assume that's the "highlands" being referred to). It's safer there than at VA600/Elk Garden or VA603/Fox Creek.

2) Park inside Grindstone Campground and take the Mt. Rogers Trail to the AT, then the AT north to the High Country. Same way back or you could get creative using horse trails but if you don't know the area, maybe not.

Each of these options will involve a nominal entrance fee.

Thanks everyone. I think I will be doing this. Do you figure it will be pretty busy this time of year?

ChinMusic
07-21-2009, 16:25
I would suggest hanging your car so no bears get inside......

Tennessee Viking
07-21-2009, 16:57
If you leave your car at Graysons, the ponies might decide to take it for a joy ride. The parking area is patrolled fairly often. As for the other trailheads, no overnight parking at your own risk. There have been a few recent break-ins.

Tinker
07-21-2009, 21:29
I would suggest hanging your car so no bears get inside......
Yet another thread spills over.................:D

Skyline
07-21-2009, 21:51
Thanks everyone. I think I will be doing this. Do you figure it will be pretty busy this time of year?

So long as you stay away from the shelters and horse camps, you shouldn't feel "crowded." A lot of dayhikers, backpackers, and equestrians use the High Country but if you avoid the few places they congregate you'll be fine.

ChinMusic
07-21-2009, 21:58
Yet another thread spills over.................:D
I just couldn't resist.

Tinker
07-21-2009, 22:01
I just couldn't resist.

Young Chin Music, it is futile to resist the dark side of The Farce.;)