PDA

View Full Version : What kind of coffee do you recommend?

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 10:10
Note- this is not about MAKING coffee, just what tastes best! :)

So, what kind of coffee do ya'll recommend? I used to be morally opposed to flavored coffee, but I actually tried some good stuff recently, and am starting to like it. (Specifically Green Mountain Blueberry flavored- anyone tried it?) Anyway, what kinds of coffee do you all like? I figure I can try a bunch now, and have it figured out by my thru.

(I'm usually a tea person, but I've grown to like coffee, especially in the morning on the trail)

MintakaCat
07-21-2009, 10:19
Mine is always Eight O'clock Coffee :)

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 10:27
Is that a brand? I don't think I've heard of it...

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 10:31
Mine is always Eight O'clock Coffee :)

Is that a brand? I don't think I've heard of it...
I don't like that coffee http://www.eightoclock.com/

Allen1901
07-21-2009, 10:36
Usually Folgers instant, with NIDO powdered milk and sugar.

Cheers!

kanga
07-21-2009, 10:37
on the trail, millstone. sometimes i buy the beans grind it before i leave and sometimes i get the little single pot packets.

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 10:44
And PS- I'd rather have real coffee than instant (though to be honest, I've never given instant a fair try)

kanga
07-21-2009, 10:51
instant isn't really coffee. they just put that on the package so you'll buy it..

Allen1901
07-21-2009, 10:53
And PS- I'd rather have real coffee than instant (though to be honest, I've never given instant a fair try)

I make real coffee on the trail sometimes, but to be honest, it's not worth the extra trouble. You might like the Folger's "singles" coffee. They're pretty easy too. Like little tea bags of coffee.

Cheers!

Lyle
07-21-2009, 10:57
I go out of my way to use "Fair Trade" coffee. Usually I buy, and like, Rwanda Coffee, whole bean.

I'm not a coffee snob, I think it's obscene what specialty coffee shops charge, but I very much support spending the extra for "Fair Trade".

Plodderman
07-21-2009, 11:05
Chock Full Of Nuts is the cofffee I use.

Farr Away
07-21-2009, 11:32
My favorite flavor - from San Marco coffee - is apricot. Chocolate raspberry can also be good, but I don't have source to recommend for it.

My husband really doesn't like flavored coffee though, so we mostly use 8 o'clock 100% columbian coffee.

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 11:34
I go out of my way to use "Fair Trade" coffee. Usually I buy, and like, Rwanda Coffee, whole bean.

I'm not a coffee snob, I think it's obscene what specialty coffee shops charge, but I very much support spending the extra for "Fair Trade".

I definitely understand that- I usually try to buy local (we have several excellent coffee roasters in our area). But I have to admit, some of the non-local coffees are less expensive and the packaging is better to preserve the coffee. Some- not all. I may just end up buying all of it locally and repackaging it myself (and of course, a bit of Green Mountain Blueberry coffee- it smells so good).

Ladytrekker
07-21-2009, 11:35
When hiking I mix instant Bustello cuban expresso with dried creamer and splenda in a ziploc bag and then heat some water and one good sized teaspoon of the mixture and I have a strong cup of coffee. It actually works well.

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 11:39
When hiking I mix instant Bustello cuban expresso with dried creamer and splenda in a ziploc bag and then heat some water and one good sized teaspoon of the mixture and I have a strong cup of coffee. It actually works well.

That doesn't sound half bad- where do you get this Bustello espresso?

StarLyte
07-21-2009, 11:39
Just plain ol Maxwell House or Folgers...man does that smell good in the mornings. Perked that is !

Kanga I like your avatar :D

Ladytrekker
07-21-2009, 11:42
That doesn't sound half bad- where do you get this Bustello espresso?

I am in Florida and most of the state is Hispanic so any grocery store. But any strong instant expresso would work. If you cannot get it, I can send you a bottle just email me with your address.

LaurieAnn
07-21-2009, 11:44
Whatever I am drinking at home and I use something called a t-Sac to put it in. These are single serving "tea" bags that you fill yourself and they are perfect for coffee. I like to buy Fair Trade Coffees/Cocoa and Teas that are under the Ethical Tea Partnership so with the t-Sacs I can take whatever I want with me.

Right now I have a wonderful Snickerdoodle blend that I bought at a local shop as well as a Maple one... but most times I just like the plain flavors of a nice Costa Rican or Peruvian coffee.

ShelterLeopard
07-21-2009, 11:45
I am in Florida and most of the state is Hispanic so any grocery store. But any strong instant expresso would work. If you cannot get it, I can send you a bottle just email me with your address.

Thanks! I bet I'll be able to find it somewhere, but I'll let you know if I can't.

toegem
07-21-2009, 11:49
Instant Bustello Cuban Expresso is my drug, nice strong coffee no waiting for it to brew, no dirty pots or presses.
My favorite coffee for home or if on that rare occasion that I make coffee on the trail in a French Press it is Caribou Coffee either the Obsidian or the Kenya.

fiddlehead
07-21-2009, 11:58
Best coffee i ever had was from South Yemen.
But i just drink instant on the trail. Keep it simple.

max patch
07-21-2009, 11:59
On a long hike no coffee or hot breakfast; takes too much time, I just want to get up and go.

On weekend trips; Java Juice.

medicjimr
07-21-2009, 12:31
Well i picked up some Tasters choice Columbian in the instant packets I actually like it , seems to be stronger than what I can get running grounds through a filter in my mug.

bikebum1975
07-21-2009, 12:55
Not to picky when it comes to coffee as long as itr doesn't taste burnt.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-21-2009, 12:55
2 packets of Nescafe 100% Columbian and Hot Chocolate mix :banana
http://www.tasterschoice.com/products/Single-Serve100Colombian.aspx (http://www.tasterschoice.com/products/Single-Serve100Colombian.aspx)

Skidsteer
07-21-2009, 19:09
I like the Nicaraguan and Costa Rican coffees from a local coffee shop(Sweetwater)when I have a chance to get them but by and large, I drink Yuban. It's a decent coffee at a decent price(relatively). Yuban was better coffee before Maxwell House bought them out but it's still a decent brew.

ShelterLeopard
07-22-2009, 09:29
Thanks all- now I have such a huge list to try, I've got to find something that I like! (This may be a problem, actually- I'm not very picky, so it may be really hard to make up my mind!)

TD55
07-22-2009, 10:38
Everyone has a preference. I prefer Lavaza exspresso, but honestly, once you run out of your preferred coffee and do without for a day or two, even the cheapest store brand instant will taste delicious.

greginmi
07-22-2009, 10:57
I'd like to add Starbucks VIA to your list.

More expensive then Taster's Choice 100% Colombian, but worth it in my opinion.

My daily cup is made with a french press, but this is just too much hassle on the trail. One straw of coffee and one packet fake cream makes me a happy camper.

bikebum1975
07-22-2009, 11:39
I know I said I am not to picky either but one brand mentioned before that is one I really enjoy is Eight O' clock very good one of the best I have had and pretty much available anywhere. Best part whole been and you grind it there in the store or you can bring it home and do it yourself I think the have ground coffee to. Not to cheap but dang good taste.

Ladytrekker
07-22-2009, 12:52
Instant Bustello Cuban Expresso is my drug, nice strong coffee no waiting for it to brew, no dirty pots or presses.
My favorite coffee for home or if on that rare occasion that I make coffee on the trail in a French Press it is Caribou Coffee either the Obsidian or the Kenya.

I noticed at Starbucks the other day they now have a french press that is a coffee cup size, as all good hikers do picked it up checked out how much it weighed and was surprised not bad, good be labeled as the one luxury item you bring with. I almost bought one and have been thinking about getting it.

toegem
07-22-2009, 13:33
I noticed at Starbucks the other day they now have a french press that is a coffee cup size, as all good hikers do picked it up checked out how much it weighed and was surprised not bad, good be labeled as the one luxury item you bring with. I almost bought one and have been thinking about getting it.

So does REI in a jumbo size (2 cups) http://www.rei.com/product/664265 to my taste it makes very good coffee.

Slack-jawed Trog
07-26-2009, 19:57
M-m-m, coffee...

Instant just doesn't cut it, I tried but just can't stand those "coffees".

I just came back from a weekend on the CT A-T today. Gotta have my morning coffee, and sometimes one after camp is set up, too. I make basic cowboy coffee with Eight O'Clock French Roast. I just grind the beans a little finer than I use at home in the coffee maker. It's so good. :D

Hikes in Rain
07-26-2009, 20:10
My favorite is the stuff I roast and grind just before I leave for one of my sections. Doesn't matter what blend, if it's roasted, ground and brewed within a day or so, it's the best!

MomNtheWoods
07-26-2009, 22:18
Seriously...Eight O'Clock coffee...? It's been around forever.

Trust me, any coffee on the trail tastes good. (Food on the trail also tastes better.)

Fill your ziplock and enjoy!

Nearly Normal
07-27-2009, 00:42
http://www.communitycoffee.com/ccc/default.aspx

CowHead
07-27-2009, 07:00
I get those forgers singles, coffee in a teabag, their lite and make's a great cup of Joe

LaurieAnn
07-27-2009, 07:10
My favorite is the stuff I roast and grind just before I leave for one of my sections. Doesn't matter what blend, if it's roasted, ground and brewed within a day or so, it's the best!

Roasting my own coffee is something I've always wanted to try. I bet it is delicious. Any tips?

gravy4601
07-27-2009, 07:33
i like instant coffiee with some instant hot chocolate

russb
07-27-2009, 08:07
Usually Folgers instant, with NIDO powdered milk and sugar.

Cheers!

I know it is sacrilegious to even mention instant coffee, but like Allen, I actually like it. I even drink it at home.

/ducks for the thrown stones

MintakaCat
07-27-2009, 08:48
I know it is sacrilegious to even mention instant coffee, but like Allen, I actually like it. I even drink it at home.

Nothing wrong with that. People's taste in coffee varies a great deal from person to person. I'm not much into instant coffee but if you like it then that's a great cost and time saver for you. The most important thing is that you're happy.:D

chknfngrs
07-27-2009, 09:07
Larry's Beans

google it.

sweetpeastu
07-27-2009, 09:15
Im a big fan of 8 O Clock Coffee too.

Does anyone know anything about Java Juice and whether it tastes good or not? I thought I might try to find some for backpacking...

ShelterLeopard
07-27-2009, 17:45
I think I may have just bought some java juice... I'll let you know when I try it. (It might be java something else, not sure)

SteveJ
07-27-2009, 19:58
I like the darkest, richest coffee I can find....have a taste for Starbucks Sumatra blend. Drink it black - only way to drink coffee! ;)

Hikes in Rain
07-27-2009, 20:32
Roasting my own coffee is something I've always wanted to try. I bet it is delicious. Any tips?

Watch the smoke detectors! If I use my little electric one on the counter top, I can set all three off within 15 seconds of each other. I know this through repeated experimentation.:sun

There are several way. An old fashioned hand crank popcorn popper on the grill is cheap and effective, and I have done it in a cast iron skillet. Medium heat, stir constantly. The most reliable way, though, is an automatic electric roaster. Add the green beans, chose the level of roast, and sit back and watch the beans expand as the heat fources the fibers apart. Watch them darken, and inhale the rich aromas. It's a great process!

Here's a link. (http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.php) I have the Nesco, and highly recommend it.

LaurieAnn
07-27-2009, 21:51
very cool... thanks so much

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 22:29
The best tasting coffee is, hands down, one containing caffeine.

ShelterLeopard
07-27-2009, 23:32
Dogwood is probably right. The simplest approach is sounding good.

Hikes in Rain
07-28-2009, 05:49
LaurieAnn, forgot this last night: I got my original coffee roasting kit from MoreBeer (I also make beer and mead). If you're like me and don't really have a clue how to get started (and I certainly didn't!) the kits are good. Roaster, small supply of beans, instructions and video. MoreBeer (http://morecoffee.com/).

Walking Dead
07-28-2009, 07:06
Nescafe Clasico now comes in those single serve "tubes". Really tastes like fresh brew.

ShelterLeopard
07-28-2009, 14:24
I've decided on an inexpensive espresso coffee (aroma, I think it's called) made very strong and mixed with hot chocolate. I think it is very good (and strong!), but would make any coffee expert flinch. Off to buy twenty bricks of cheap espresso!