PDA

View Full Version : North or South on the AT through the Smokies

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 11:58
Is it better to hke orth or south on the at throgh the smokies? Is there that much to see in Fontana?

Egads
07-21-2009, 12:28
Your choice, but I prefer the SOBO direction

IMO, not so much in Fontana, better at NOC

Bearpaw
07-21-2009, 12:32
You could try a flip-flop. Newfound Gap to Davenport then Newfound to Fontana.

It's all down-hill that way. :rolleyes:

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 12:36
Where is NOC?

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2009, 12:43
www.noc.com (http://www.noc.com)

Bearpaw
07-21-2009, 12:52
Where is NOC?

29 miles south of Fontana Dam.

tucker0104
07-21-2009, 13:06
Not heading that far south

Plodderman
07-21-2009, 13:09
We went from Fontana to Davenport so Northbound. Fontana is a pretty good climb but coming the other way you would have a pretty good climb too. When we researched our hike a few years ago most told us to hike Southbound but the shelters were not available so we went Northbound.

Not really to much to look at, at Fontana but there is some camping available and a lake to swim in.

We did it in five days but could of finished it in four.

chelko
07-21-2009, 17:41
I have done it in both directions and prefer NOBO. First day climb to shuckstack from the dam is about 4 miles up hill then its not so bad till Thunderhead and a long gradual pull up to Cligmans Dome, from there it is a cruise.

Captain Blue
07-21-2009, 18:14
I just finished a north bound hike of the Smokies last week. This was my fourth time through the Smokies. I have hiked it both north and south bound.

From a scenery and services point of view I prefer finishing at Fontana Dam rather than Davenport Gap. There is not much at Davenport Gap. Finishing at Fontana Dam gives you a nice view of the lake, dam and river. Plus you can take a break in the air conditioned visitor center and get a cold beverage from the gift shop. At Fontana Dam you can get an easy $3 shuttle to Fontana Village which has a couple of restaurants, an ice cream parlor, a camp store. a swimming pool and lodging.

In my opinion going north bound gets the hard stuff out of the way first.

It will be a good hike either way and the direction you choose won't matter much.

Captain Blue
AT 6,400 Miler
Dayton, OH

max patch
07-21-2009, 18:47
either way sucks.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2009, 20:21
either way sucks.

why's that?

max patch
07-21-2009, 22:42
why's that?

Too many people, too many rules, gotta stay here, can't stay there, toilet paper gardens behind a lot of the shelters, if not thruing then get on telephone and make shelter reservations. Is that enough?

Tennessee Viking
07-22-2009, 08:27
SOBO has a bit of a steeper grade off the bat than NOBO through the Smokies.

Skyline
07-22-2009, 09:29
If you have two vehicles, or use a shuttle service, you have the option of starting twice in the middle (either Clingman's or Newfound). Then hike NOBO to your vehicle parked near Davenport. Follow by hiking SOBO to your waiting vehicle at or near Fontana.

You could probably park at Standing Bear near Davenport and be reasonably assured your vehicle would be in one piece upon your return.

You could probably park at either the Hike Inn or Fontana Village (both can arrange transport) and be likewise safe.

The advantage to doing it this way is you avoid a lot of climbing. The disadvantage is that it is more cumbersome and could cost you some money. HYOH.

Skyline
07-22-2009, 09:36
Too many people, too many rules, gotta stay here, can't stay there, toilet paper gardens behind a lot of the shelters, if not thruing then get on telephone and make shelter reservations. Is that enough?

Agree. But the Smokies are the Smokies. The AT thru the GSMNP is unique and hikers should do it once. More than once if they're not bothered by all the BS. (I've only done the AT thru the Smokies once; subsequent Smokies' trips have been anywhere other than the AT.)

sherrill
07-22-2009, 10:08
For me the AT through the Smokies is like an interstate while all of the other trails are like nice country roads.

gold bond
07-22-2009, 10:39

I couldn't agree with you more...preach it brother! I mean regulating hiking to me is taking away the freedom that I think hiking is all about. The stretch through the Smokies has been a logistcal nightmare for me as I live 3 and a half hours away and trying to get the reservations for when I can hike has been a real hassle. I was gonna "stealth" it......spent the night with a Ranger on vacation with his family in the Mount Collins Shelter....didn't know he was a Ranger untill some guys came in causing a ruckus in the middle of the night! He was cool about it....they didn't have a shelter reservation or a permit to be hiking...but he let them know real quick that if the nonsense didn't stop that their trip was over! I will say this though...the Smokies are beautiful and I'm glad I did them! I went NB and will do it again...one day!!

gravy4601
07-22-2009, 11:00
The tourist didn't bother me much the party i didn't like is that they let horses on sections of the AT just south of davenport on one section you cant even hike to hikers side by side let aloan a hiker passing a horse

TIDE-HSV
07-23-2009, 00:18
Brain fart - wish I'd never said it... :(

shoe
07-23-2009, 00:24
Actually quite a bit is open to horses.
Did it not used to be open to horses??

TIDE-HSV
07-23-2009, 08:17
Well, yes, originally, but I thought they'd been barred from almost all of it...

Captain Blue
07-23-2009, 08:32
Parts of the AT in the Smokies are very much open to horses. Just read the guidebook for that section or check the web site for the Smokies.

Pedaling Fool
07-23-2009, 08:42
Horses NOT Allowed on 33.9 miles of the AT:
Fontana Dam to Sassafras Gap 4.7 miles
Spence Field Shelter to Miry Ridge Trail 8.9 miles
Welch Ridge Trail to Pecks Corner Shelter 22.3 miles

Horses Allowed on 35.2 miles of the AT:
Sassafras Gap to Spence Field Shelter 11.7 miles
Miry Ridge Trail to Welch Ridge Trail 3.5 miles
Pecks Corner Shelter to Davenport Gap 20.0 miles

I got this info from my 2005 map of the Smokies.

Jack Tarlin
07-23-2009, 16:00
I've done it in both directions, but much prefer Northbound.

Yes, you've got a good climb on the first day heading out of Fontana Dam, but once you get up to Shuckstack, it's not so bad, certainly not as long a slog as your first day would be heading South out of Davenport Gap, which is a more gradual ascent, but a much longer one.

Plus, finishing up a Northbound traverse of the Park puts you very close to a wonderful hiker facility, Standing Bear Farm, where hikers can clean up or overnight before heading home; thgey can arrange a shuttle ride from the proprietors; or best yet, they can leave a car so it's there waiting for them when they finish their trip.

All in all, I'd rather finish up there than in Fontana Dam.

chelko
07-23-2009, 16:25
It is worth going NOBO just to finish at Standing Bear Farm. Your car will be safe, Curtis and Maria are great folks and have all the comforts of home, showers, laundry, e-mail, bunk houses, pizza and they will take you on a BEER RUN!

Ox97GaMe
07-24-2009, 10:25
There are two sections of the AT that have always been accessible by horse.

a) Russell Fiield Shelter to Spence Field
b) TriCorner to Davenport Gap

I disagree that the AT thru hike of the park is a 'must do' for hikers. To see the true beauty of the park, a BMT thru hike of the park is a much better option. It is a little longer (about 90 miles), but you get some great views, nice waterfalls, no shelter restrictions, and a bit more solitude.

gravy4601
07-24-2009, 21:54
south of dasvenport gap by Mt Cammrin fire tower area they allow horses on the trail

gollwoods
07-24-2009, 22:03
and the cammerer trail area etc...
I like to hike off the A T mainly Just did a bit of the Benton McKaye trail arond pole road creek trail, saw no people felt like the heart of the mountains that is what I want everytime.

Pedaling Fool
07-25-2009, 07:25
Horses NOT Allowed on 33.9 miles of the AT:
Fontana Dam to Sassafras Gap 4.7 miles
Spence Field Shelter to Miry Ridge Trail 8.9 miles
Welch Ridge Trail to Pecks Corner Shelter 22.3 miles

Horses Allowed on 35.2 miles of the AT:
Sassafras Gap to Spence Field Shelter 11.7 miles
Miry Ridge Trail to Welch Ridge Trail 3.5 miles
Pecks Corner Shelter to Davenport Gap 20.0 miles

I got this info from my 2005 map of the Smokies.
Y'all just look at your maps! The above is where horses are allowed and prohibited on the AT through the smokies.

Frick Frack
08-03-2009, 09:37
Is it better to hke orth or south on the at throgh the smokies? Is there that much to see in Fontana?

I noticed you were from Charlotte, NC. Seems it would be best to go NOBO thru the GSMNP, cleanup at Standing Bear, head to Asheville for some good grub, then head home. I have done the GSMNP both ways at least 2 times each and I prefer SOBO but both ways are fantastic no matter what everyone says. The main concentration of people are around Newfound Gap to Ice Water Springs Shelter. The Smokies are beautiful!