PDA

View Full Version : Water puddles in the bottom of my pack rain cover. Ideas?

Chenango
07-21-2009, 14:49
I was caught in a 2-3 hr lightening and thunder downpour the weekend before last. My hiking buddies got a real laugh when I emptied about a quart of water from the inside bottom of my pack cover. Of course I laughed too because I was soaking wet, and well, even a wet day on the trail is better than one at work. :) My sleeping bag was little damp in one spot that night.

I am using a Kelty pack cover that I tighten with the drawstring. Maybe I should I let it hang loose on the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Homer&Marje
07-21-2009, 14:52
Just bought an REI Duck Back 80 cover for my Osprey....Have not used it yet in a severe downpour, just sprinkles...but there is a small 1/4" grommet at the bottom in the middle I believe to release any buildup, per chance it happens. Maybe you can make one easy if yours does not have that already...

Alligator
07-21-2009, 15:02
I used a hole punch on the bottom of mine, two holes. Just don't put it down in a puddle after that.

Chenango
07-21-2009, 15:06
I like the idea of a small hole(s) in the bottom. I can put a grommet in there so it does not tear.

weary
07-21-2009, 18:36
I just poke a hoke or two in the bottom of my rain cover with my jack knife.

The holes have solved the problem, i.e. kept the water away from the bottom of my backpack and whatever is stored there. I haven't noticed any downsides to the technique in the several decades and the couple of backpack covers where I've used it. (backpack covers last forever as long as you don't purchase a significantly larger -- or smaller pack.) Grommets won't hurt. But I've found them to be unneeded. I can'tthink of any scenario that would cause my tiny jackknive slots to tear.

Weary

BitBucket
07-21-2009, 18:48
Put your stuff inside a garbage bag (or other waterproof bag like an oven bag, or a dry sack) and ditch the pack cover...it's for sprinkles at best...

Slosteppin
07-21-2009, 19:52
I partly agree with Bitbucket.
I put my sleeping bag, air mattress, down jacket and dry clothes in a garbage bag. I also carry a Gear Hammock from JRB. When the rain starts I use the Gear Hammock for a pack cover.

I've hiked in hard rain the last 2 weekend hikes. Neither my pack nor anything inside got wet.

Slosteppin

Blissful
07-21-2009, 20:05
I like the idea of a small hole(s) in the bottom. I can put a grommet in there so it does not tear.

I put grommets in,they eventually rusted and dropped off. But at least the holes are there.

I just stop if it's a big storm, life the bottom of the cover and empty it out. With the pack hanging from a branch.

saimyoji
07-21-2009, 21:49
Put your stuff inside a garbage bag (or other waterproof bag like an oven bag, or a dry sack) and ditch the pack cover...it's for sprinkles at best...

this sounds like good advice, but i respectfully disagree. in a downpour, unless you're using something like the packa, your pack will get wet even when using a pack cover (the straps, back pad will soak up water) However, the pack cover keeps most of the pack material dry. When wet, some pack materials can become very heavy.

SO: in a downpour a pack cover will keep your pack from becoming water logged and heavy. the inside could still get wet. my pack cover weighs 3 oz. totally worth carrying it. best way to keep your stuff dry is use internal dry bags (trash compactor bag, or other system) with a pack cover.

ymmv

Tinker
07-21-2009, 21:51

Most of the pack covers I've used over the years have had a grommet in the bottom for rain drainage. It works.

Tinker
07-21-2009, 21:55
FWIW, I use a pack cover AND plastic bag liners (as well as small ditty bags for toiletries and small pieces of equipment). What I don't use is a stuff sack for my sleeping bag. It has its own plastic bag (well I usually put sleepwear in with it) at the bottom of my pack. The whole pack is lined with a larger plastic bag, and I have my warm up (rest break) clothing in a silnylon stuffsack which sits on top of my food bag and under my rainwear, which rides on top for easy access. (Now I don't have to join the "my way's best" wars. :p

saimyoji
07-21-2009, 21:56
when you set up camp, hang your pack cover on a tree with the grommets end up.....easy way to collect water.

Franco
07-21-2009, 23:37
Never mind UltraLighters... I always have a liner (big white thick plastic bag) and a stuff sack of some sort for my sleeping bag and "night" stuff. (except when I use the Aarn packs, they have a built in liner).
My rain cover is a Sea to Summit silnylon thing, don't often take it because it is a bit of a pain to keep there and also collects water.
Gossamer Gear is working on some new designs...
http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2009/07/top-secret-gossamer-gear-rain-covers.html (http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2009/07/top-secret-gossamer-gear-rain-covers.html)
Excuse the humour if you are not that inclined.
Franco

Homer&Marje
07-22-2009, 07:34
I've been using Glad ForceFlex bags as inside liners....they really don't rip unless you really poke at them...keep my sleeping bag and clothes in it. That and the pack cover should keep me mostly dry.

Chenango
07-22-2009, 08:43
:D

Great ideas from all. Thanks. I knew fellow WB'ers would help out.

I will let you know how it pans out the next time I am in a down-pour!!

Hoop Time
07-22-2009, 10:48

Trash compactor bags are a little thicker plastic than most garbage bags and are made to stretch, so they are much more durable.

Alligator
07-22-2009, 11:40
I'm going to add that I had the pooling problem with my largest pack. I'd say that part of the problem was that I had my tent arranged horizontally which allowed for more bellowing of the sides of the rain cover.

I get a good fit with my smaller packs and the smaller silnylon cover I use, so I have not poked holes in that yet.

Berserker
07-22-2009, 13:12
Trash compactor bags are a little thicker plastic than most garbage bags and are made to stretch, so they are much more durable.
Agreed. I use a trash compactor bag (2 mil) as a pack liner, and a pack cover to keep the outside of the pack from getting water logged. If a hole forms in the trash compactor bag (which it shouldn't unless it gets snagged on something sharp), then duct tape works really well as a patch.

Deadeye
07-22-2009, 13:59
I cut the bottom off my pack cover (I guess that qualifies as one really big hole), so nothing can collect. Then, like others, everything inside the pack is in a stuff sack and/or garbage bag. I don't care if my stuff gets wet on a nice sunny day, but it always seems to be crappy weather when it rains.:-?

ShoelessWanderer
07-22-2009, 14:04

100% agree! I NEVER use a pack cover. Everything goes in ziploc, garbage or dry bags. Then, who cares if the pack gets wet! It's amazing how much my fellow hikers stop & fumble around trying to get their packs covered, and then keep them covered when it's raining. I just keep on hiking, cause I know all my gear is okay!

beep
07-27-2009, 13:51
I second (or third) the idea of using a trash compactor bag. They're heavy enough to hold up and work well to keep your stuff dry. I also use a pack cover with a grommet at the bottom, but the combination is good when you want to protect your gear.