PDA

View Full Version : how much you sweat?

bluffhead
07-22-2009, 14:20
so this is aimed towards thru hikers, how much do you ussually sweat when you hike non stop all day, im curious beacause i usually sweat all over and exessivly and i relized i get heat rash around my waist, im just curious if i can compare the amount of sweating as to standin in one spot in 130 degrees for 4 hours and my cloths are soaked all the way through. this could be a bad comparisan, but on average how much do you,one sweat.? on a hot summer day.

Reid
07-22-2009, 14:37
I'm not sure what this matters to your post but when you get use to it being hot all the time you'll feel the slightest breeze. Just make sure you wipe that sweat off your face as often as you can.

Manwich
07-22-2009, 14:45
Buckets...

Jim Adams
07-22-2009, 16:32
my clothes drip!

geek

CrumbSnatcher
07-22-2009, 16:34
my clothes drip!

geek
sweating from whiskey! or in a hurry to get more whiskey?:D

Jim Adams
07-22-2009, 16:40
sweating from whiskey! or in a hurry to get more whiskey?:D

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

geek

CrumbSnatcher
07-22-2009, 16:42
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

geeki wouldn't give you so much crap, if you wern't one of the best dudes i ever met on THE trail! HEADING TO MAINE IN 3 WEEKS WANT TO GO?

Jim Adams
07-22-2009, 16:49
i wouldn't give you so much crap, if you wern't one of the best dudes i ever met on THE trail! HEADING TO MAINE IN 3 WEEKS WANT TO GO?

Crumb,
Thanks for the invite...I would give almost anything to go...haven't seen ya for awhile but my schedule is pretty set. I'm going to Canada canoeing in September and can't take any more time off at the moment. YES I WANT TO...sorry, I can't. Don't ever stop asking though...everyones future is only as far as the next blind corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for thinking about me.:sun

geek

Cannibal
07-22-2009, 16:51
You will sweat A LOT!
I'm a heavy sweater too and once summer rolled around I could take off my shirt and wring-out about half a liter of sweat after only a couple hours hiking. It's like everything else you'll encounter on your hike; grin and bear it.

Egads
07-22-2009, 17:56
I love hiking out west because the sweat actually evaporates.

ShelterLeopard
07-22-2009, 18:00
I sweat a lot. A LOT. Makes me soooo dehydrated.

CowHead
07-22-2009, 19:54
If i could recycle my sweat I never run out of water...need one of those desert suits from Dune

spencerb
07-22-2009, 20:19
The key thing with sweating a lot is making sure you have comfy dry clothes to change into at the end of the day.

Dogwood
07-22-2009, 22:36
What did you say? Sorry, couldn't read your post. Too much burning sweat in my eyes.

ShelterLeopard
07-22-2009, 23:45
If i could recycle my sweat I never run out of water...need one of those desert suits from Dune

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking yesterday! I can't believe you said that. I need a stillsuit too.

rainmaker
07-23-2009, 20:37
Likie a hawg!!!

Nearly Normal
07-24-2009, 03:00
Likie a hawg!!!

Hawgs don't have sweat glands.

CowHead
07-24-2009, 18:40
The key thing with sweating a lot is making sure you have comfy dry clothes to change into at the end of the day.

I agree take off those sweaty clothes hang them to dry and get into my camp ware

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2009, 18:49
so this is aimed towards thru hikers, how much do you ussually sweat when you hike non stop all day, im curious beacause i usually sweat all over and exessivly and i relized i get heat rash around my waist, im just curious if i can compare the amount of sweating as to standin in one spot in 130 degrees for 4 hours and my cloths are soaked all the way through. this could be a bad comparisan, but on average how much do you,one sweat.? on a hot summer day.
Depends on when and where you hike. I sweated very bad around the mid-Atlantic states in the summer, despite being in the shade. In 2006 I got a really bad rash around my mid-section because of my hip belt. It's important to change into dry, clean(relatively) clothes in the evening and wash out the salt from your clothes....And before I get jumped on, don't wash them in the water source, bring the water to the clothes.

Nean
07-24-2009, 19:32
I try to sweat as little as possible by slowing down up a hill if need be or removing my hat- maybe a quick dip in the heat of the day. Once I am in trail shape I sweat little from the effort and stay aware of overheating. Requires less water I have to carry.

Deadeye
07-25-2009, 08:05
I try to sweat as little as possible by slowing down up a hill if need be or removing my hat-

I've heard about people like you. I'd have to walk backwards to not sweat.:D

SalParadise
08-01-2009, 14:12
i always hiked with my shirt off, but I needed a long-sleeve shirt tied to my pack to prevent the back pad from chafing. Every single night I would ring that thing out like I'd just dipped it in a river.

DuctTape
08-01-2009, 14:54
I not so fondly recall bowing my head for long uphill stretches to let the sweat drip off the tip of my nose. Also watching beads of it swing along the bottom rim of my glasses like a pendulum. You get used to it, sort of.

Symbol
09-04-2009, 23:38
If I stop sweating you better check my pulse.....

Sweet
09-04-2009, 23:44
You can ring my shirt and shorts out, the sweat is so bad. I drink at least 3 liters a day, sometimes lots more.

bigcranky
09-05-2009, 06:57
I remember one early September hike, I could have wrung out my *pack.*

garlic08
09-05-2009, 10:17
I never sweat as much in my life as I did on the Bear Mt climb on a 100-degree humid day. My clothes were soaked down below the knees of my trousers. And usually I'm not a heavy sweater. I had to drink six liters of water that day, and didn't pee much at all.

I met a guy in Arizona who gave me a great tip on hydration. If your sweat becomes slick when you wipe it off your brow, you've run out of salt and you're about to die. You've been drinking enough, but you've depleted the minerals and you'd better get medical care. My lesson learned--eating is as important as drinking on a hot day.

Kerosene
09-05-2009, 13:04
I slacked SOBO up Bear Mountain on a humid morning in early June. Even though the temp was only 80F, I was sweating buckets. My brand new, expensive Patagonia wicking shirt was worthless (and frankly it's never worked as well as my DuoFolds). I would have been miserable with a full pack.

I sweat a lot, and my feet sweat even more (ugh!). It's a lot nicer to hike in mid- to late-Fall.

Del Q
09-05-2009, 20:51
I am really enjoying Merino wool tee's, do NOT smell after days, dry fast, as nice to wear in hot and cold weather. I get soaked with sweat, try to wash up most nights.

Cutty
09-05-2009, 23:10
sure we all sweat while hiking, but the more we sweat the more
we need to add extra fuel. reason is while we deplete our blood
sugar we also deplete our hydration! try it some time, eat extra
fuel while working out on the trail. it will make us sweat less!
cutty

ike1985
09-09-2009, 21:12
I used to sweat alot when i was a bodybuilder at 205, now im 155 after a few years of jiu jitsu, and i dont sweat much.

freefall
09-09-2009, 22:01
I love hiking out west because the sweat actually evaporates.
HA! One day on the CT I was still able to wring out my shirt at the end of the day!

Gramps
09-12-2009, 00:22
Remember Welcome Back, Kotter? I could be the leader of the Sweat Hogs! (Never understood that term as hogs do not sweat):banana

drastic_quench
09-12-2009, 00:55
I'm sweating now just from typing. But seriously, I've always sweated buckets with the slightest temp change or physical effort. It came in handy when I needed to cut weight for wrestling.

Actually, I probably sweat the normal amount or a little more on my body, but my forehead sweats faster and heavier than a kitchen faucet.

Maddog
09-12-2009, 05:59
frickin buckets!