PDA

View Full Version : AT -- stone mountain Ga

randy moore
07-13-2004, 21:11
After thinking that I would take a week off sometime in Sept and start the trail at the falls and head towards N.C. I found out Sunday that I might not be read yetI put my 30 lbs of grandson on my back and hiked up to the top of Stone MT 1.4 miles got to admit it was really a lot harder than I thought it would be. Half way I handed off my load to my son and kept going. I t took awhile but we made it. My question is this Does this hike up Stone compare in anyway with hiking the AT would like some comments. would still like to go for it in Sept thanks cmore

FatMan
07-13-2004, 22:05
Stone Mountain is 15 minutes from my house and I walk the mountain most weekends. I typically go up and back twice and I will work up a good lather. Total distance is about 5 miles and elevation change is 2800, but without a pack. The best part of the mountain for training is the upper half from the pavillion to the top. The steep grade is excellent for training. With that said I can tell you that parts of the AT still kick my *ss.

I would say that if your trip up the mountain was difficult, you may want to train more before you set off at Amicolola. My best advise would be to find a school stadium nearby and walk the stairs over and over again until you can't take another step. Do that 4 times a week for month and you will be as prepared as you can get. Walking is good but you have to work your thighs (Stairs) or the AT will be a rude awakening. Happy Hiking.

JimSproul
07-14-2004, 08:28
2800 feet of change in 5 miles seems like a bunch. I am 51 and did the Approach Trail this spring. It had some steep sections but overall was not too bad. Watch your pack weight and give it a shot. I know I don't hit my pace for the first few days of any mountain trip. I live at 800' elevation. Even in the Rockies it takes acouple of days to get going.

Jaybird
07-14-2004, 09:38
hiking up & down Stone Mountain, GA would be great training!

or you could stay indoors & use the gym or auditorium steps, etc.

i like the outdoors myself...

train with 10% more in your backpack than you anticipate taking on your hike.

Stone Mtn isnt the A.T., BUT, you'll find sections with as much rock!

good luck with your hike! :D

Youngblood
07-14-2004, 10:08
After thinking that I would take a week off sometime in Sept and start the trail at the falls and head towards N.C. I found out Sunday that I might not be read yetI put my 30 lbs of grandson on my back and hiked up to the top of Stone MT 1.4 miles got to admit it was really a lot harder than I thought it would be. Half way I handed off my load to my son and kept going. I t took awhile but we made it. My question is this Does this hike up Stone compare in anyway with hiking the AT would like some comments. would still like to go for it in Sept thanks cmore

cmore,

Stone Mountain is a good tug, but don't let that scare you off of the AT. You can take rest stops along the way, it is not all uphill and you can adust your daily mileage to reflect what you are capable of.

This is probably one of those things that you will have to try to see if you are up to it. If you start at Amicalola Falls SP you will have a pretty good idea before you get too far into your trip as the 8.8 mile approach trail from the Amicalola Falls SP to Springer Mountain is a good indication of what lies ahead. If you start at the USFS road near Springer Mountain (USFS 42) you could get surprised because the first few miles are relatively flat and you won't get tested by climbs until you get further into your hike. USFS 42 crosses the AT several times in the first 16.4 miles (4.1, 8.1, 10, 11.6 and 16.4 miles from Springer) and GA 60 crosses at the 20 mile point. These provide possible bailout points or easier routes out because they typically go around the high points. If you have a good map, some phone numbers and a cell phone, you can probably make it out alive without having to climb all the mountains. :)

Youngblood

Weeknd
07-14-2004, 15:35
I agree with Youngblood try it. I hiked Stone Mountain once or twice a year when I was in college. I also backpacked on the AT in GA & NC. I think Stone Mountain is different because it is one big rock and last Sunday was real hot. That effects my hiking a lot. Just my .O2, YMMV. Also, I think the 8 miles to Springer from Amicalola is a hard hike (if I didn't know it got better, I would stop when I got to the hotel and check in :D). Take your time and don't try to do to much. Go for it. You will kick yourself if you don't try. That's what I am going to do when I get healthy enough.

randy moore
07-14-2004, 18:33
Thanks everyone who answered. I trust you guys, and girls and you told me what I really wanted to hear. Go for It Thats what I will do ! Like I know, I will just have to hike my own hike thanks again cmore