PDA

View Full Version : September

Berryj121
07-22-2009, 21:56
I am planning a trip, Sept 5th thru the 11th, starting in Amicola Falls and ending in Helen. I might try to crash out at the Walasi-Yi center. I am defintily re supplying there, and will catch a shower. I am a novice hiker, I know enough to get by, but I am definitly not hardcore. I do not subscribe to the whole ultralight thing either, it seems to wound up. If anyone is planning a hike and dosent have anyone to go with and wants a partner let me know. I defenitly could use the knowledge. Thanks

Ox97GaMe
07-24-2009, 10:49
Wont be able to go, but I think you have allowed the correct number of days to make this a managable and relazing kind of trip of about 10 miles/day.

Day 1, long climb from AFSP to Springer Mtn.
Day 2, Springer to Hawk Mtn
Day 3, Hawk Mtn to Gooch Gap
Day 4, Gooch Gap to Neels Gap
Day 5, Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter
Day 6, Low Gap to Unicoi Gap

Day 2 will seem relatively easy 7.5 miles after the 8.5 miles on Day 1. However, the hike from Hawk Mtn to Justus Creek is a roller coaster 7 miles with very little water, especially in summer. Not a place to get caught half way between. Also, they just opened a new re-route at Justus Creek that adds about .5 miles to that distance.

Day 3, you have the option of staying at Gooch Gap shelter, or at Gooch Gap trailhead. There isnt much in the way of camping between Gooch Gap and Jarad Gap,

Day 4, this will seem difficult because you have to climb to get into Woody Gap and then the climb to get up to Blood Mtn. This will be your longest day, but with the previous 2 short days, this will be manageable. Plan to stay over at Neels Gap for the night if possible. There is camping about a mile N of Neels, but they have had bear problems there this year. Not sure if that is still the case.

Last two days wont be too bad, other than the climb out of Testnatee Gap and the climb up Blue Mtn. Both are relatively short as far as total distance, just steep. Take your time on these and you will be fine.

Happy Hiking.

Berryj121
07-25-2009, 22:14
I rrealy appreciate the input. I like to average about 10 miles a day. I am not to much of a mileage counter, and while I reduce weight when I can, you wont see me cutting the edges of my map. I try to enjoy myself, and take breaks to just relax and enjoy the woods. Thanks for the thoughts

STICK
07-26-2009, 00:36
Hey dude, I sentyou a pm. My gf and I are heading out on the 4th. Pretty much same plans. You think you could leave a day earlier? We are staying @ a campsite Thursday night & hiking out of Amicolola on Friday morning.

Berryj121
07-27-2009, 18:38
I am a paramedic and I get opff shift the morning of the 4th. I am not sure what I wanna do, but I can't get up there til 1500 at the earliest. I am not sure if I wanna start in amicola falls or springer, I figured I would just go to Amicola, I like the park and I want to hike as much as I can. I will e-mail you later and see if we could work something out.; Thaks though, I don't mind goin alone but would love the company.