PDA

View Full Version : Looking for somewhere to hike in january.

Slugger OToole
07-22-2009, 22:42
Hey, I'm looking for somewhere to spend a week hiking in the first week of january. I'm not looking to do winter hiking and am looking for someplace relatively warm, I can deal with cool but don't want to trek through feet of snow.

I was thinking of doing a section of the florida trail, does anybody have any recommendations on the florida trail or recommendations anywhere else in the country. A friend of mine suggested doing a section of the PCT in southern california but it looks as though it'll still be pretty snowy in the mountains.

Anyone have any ideas in the continental US?

Gray Blazer
07-22-2009, 23:02
January is the best time to hike in FL. All kinds of nice sections of the FT in NFL. Suwanee River, Etoniah Creek State Forest, Ocala National Forest are some of my favorite sections. I plan on camping at Torreya sometime next winter.

flemdawg1
07-22-2009, 23:23
The Pinhoti Trail in Alabama is pretty nice in winter.

Slugger OToole
07-22-2009, 23:42
Anything with any elevation and some views or would that be too much to ask in january?

Shutterbug
07-22-2009, 23:44
Hey, I'm looking for somewhere to spend a week hiking in the first week of january. I'm not looking to do winter hiking and am looking for someplace relatively warm, I can deal with cool but don't want to trek through feet of snow.

I was thinking of doing a section of the florida trail, does anybody have any recommendations on the florida trail or recommendations anywhere else in the country. A friend of mine suggested doing a section of the PCT in southern california but it looks as though it'll still be pretty snowy in the mountains.

Anyone have any ideas in the continental US?

There are several good trails in Arizona. Last January, I hiked almost every day. Most of the time I hiked from trailheads in Madera Canyon, but also hiked on other trails around Tucson. Here is a link to my pictures -- http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/EarlyJanuary2009#

holyphenol
07-22-2009, 23:57
I suppose I'll go ahead and represent the Ozark Highlands Trail on this one... As for elevation changes, I think it tops out at around 2200'-2400'. This is the 'big' snow month, but it normally comes later in the month...
The only hitch that I can think of is that we did have, for the area, a bad ice storm quickly coupled with high winds soon after, leaving parts of the trail still covered by a few downed trees and 1(that i've seen) slide...
i know i'll be doing this trail myself in late january, if not at another earlier time!:D

Dogwood
07-23-2009, 00:43
Channel Islands, Saguro, Joshua Tree, or Big Bend NPs and Pt Reyes Nat. Seashore.

MintakaCat
07-23-2009, 07:10
Chattooga River Trail has little if any snow in January. Same is true for the Foothills Trail. Depends on what the weather is like but there were times last winter when it was more like spring.

Nearly Normal
07-24-2009, 03:37
Cumberland Island GA would be nice if you wanted secluded beach. Interesting maritime forest, fair shelling. Great place to relax and explore.

The Weasel
07-24-2009, 03:44
Start sectioning the PCT from Campo on the US/MEX border. 3-4 days before you get to the mountains where it is serious winter.

TW