PDA

View Full Version : The "death" of Crocs.........

Mrs Baggins
07-23-2009, 05:32
http://www.newsweek.com/id/207392?GT1=43002

rickb
07-23-2009, 06:28
Thanks for the post. Before reading it, I didn't know I needed Vibram 5 Fingers.

At least on version seems light enough.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_Sprint_m.cfm

Not sure if these could handle the trails of NH, but I am going to look good in the grocery store with these. I haven't seen any on the street or trails yet.

CowHead
07-23-2009, 09:17
Vibram FiveFingers I just order a set for camp shoe and try the on the rocks of MD will let folks know how the work out

Yahtzee
07-23-2009, 10:10
Get your FiveFingers while you can. All the hipsters and cool kids are wearing them out these days and it won't be long before the high school kids are, too. They'll start selling them in all sorts of wacked out colors. Soon enough, Vibram will open up a huge store on the Upper West Side of NYC and then within the year, file bankruptcy.

Nean
07-23-2009, 13:05
This was the subject of a local talk show the other day. The problem as they saw it was they made a product that was too good- i.e. - a product that didn't wear out fast enough and thus left w/ Crocs w/ a huge inventory. IMO they tried to expand their line beyond their bread and butter w/ all the different styles that must of cost a fortune to R&D and produce. I hope to buy a couple of pairs on clearance and be set for life. Some folks will never be secure enough to value function over style.

max patch
07-23-2009, 13:15
Some folks will never be secure enough to value function over style.

How "functional" are Crocs if you are planning to get on an escalator?

Nean
07-23-2009, 13:19
How "functional" are Crocs if you are planning to get on an escalator?

VERY- and much more so than an untied sneaker.;)

max patch
07-23-2009, 13:29
VERY- and much more so than an untied sneaker.;)

There are some 4 toed people who would disagree.

Cuffs
07-23-2009, 13:36
five fingers are much heavier that crocs. And they are quickly becoming the North Face Denali for cool kids... everyone has to have them. Working at an outfitter, we can hardly keep them in stock...

CowHead
07-23-2009, 13:43
Get your FiveFingers while you can. All the hipsters and cool kids are wearing them out these days and it won't be long before the high school kids are, too. They'll start selling them in all sorts of wacked out colors. Soon enough, Vibram will open up a huge store on the Upper West Side of NYC and then within the year, file bankruptcy.

Wow never been call a hipster or cool, been call a hippy once and a redneck once and a cowhead more than once I moving on up to the east side:banana:banana:banana

Yahtzee
07-23-2009, 13:51
five fingers are much heavier that crocs. And they are quickly becoming the North Face Denali for cool kids... everyone has to have them. Working at an outfitter, we can hardly keep them in stock...

Crikey, I was being facetious towards Crocs. I had no idea people were actually wearing the Five Fingers. When Crocs opened up their store on the UWS, I figured they were getting ahead of themselves.

Can't believe anyone but a weird hiker would wear Five Fingers. But, I guess that is why the kids wear them and I am officially old and out of touch. Also, can't believe they are heavier than Crocs. That's a bit of letdown.

mudhead
07-23-2009, 13:56
Both of those would make my feet sweaty. People that like them like them.

I like air on my toes.

Nean
07-23-2009, 13:59

Its just easier to sue a company for not keeping an eye on your child than it is for not tying their shoes.;)

Mags
07-23-2009, 16:53
I for one am SHOCKED that a company that based its bottom line on ugly, colorful, overpriced, pair of plastic gardening shoes is facing financial difficulties.

Now excuse me while I go buy the $10 knock-offs at Walmart that are an equally ugly, colorful, pair of plastic gardening shoes. But are not overpriced.

:sun

Its just easier to sue a company for not keeping an eye on your child than it is for not tying their shoes.;)

I am equally SHOCKED that some parents are not taking responsibility for their children. ;)

mister krabs
07-23-2009, 17:09

The woman who is suing them just wanted them to put a warning on the box about escalators after her kid's shoe got eaten at the ATL airport. They refused the request, but picked the wrong person to refuse.

Petr
07-23-2009, 17:39

Is this some sort of epidemic or an isolated incident? Just curious, as I still have an apparent self-esteem issue which precludes me from ever donning a pair of those hideous things.

Petr
07-23-2009, 17:44
Some folks will never be secure enough to value function over style.

Some would argue that appreciating aesthetics is precisely what makes humankind human. Think a bear ever stops to admire a mountaintop sunset or recoil at a neon orange plastic shoe? Just saying...

rlharris
07-23-2009, 17:57
Now excuse me while I go buy the $10 knock-offs at Walmart that are an equally ugly, colorful, pair of plastic gardening shoes. But are not overpriced.

:sun

Our local Wooly Monmouth (aka the Super WalMart) had a closeout of their knockoffs a few weeks ago -- at $1.00/pair

Ocean State Job Lot is still carrying some knockoffs for around $6/pair

Nean
07-23-2009, 18:03
Some would argue that appreciating aesthetics is precisely what makes humankind human. Think a bear ever stops to admire a mountaintop sunset or recoil at a neon orange plastic shoe? Just saying...

Is"precisely" really the right word? :eek: A person who values function more than what somebody thinks is not human? :eek: :D

I'd like to think the bear does enjoy the view and would smell/taste the shoe.:) Like I said....

Nean
07-23-2009, 18:12
The woman who is suing them just wanted them to put a warning on the box about escalators after her kid's shoe got eaten at the ATL airport. They refused the request, but picked the wrong person to refuse.

Down at our neighborhood park they have a sign posted: PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK! Saves countless lives.:rolleyes: Why not a warning about shoelaces too?

Answer is a few post back. This lady did do a good thing by pointing out you should not neglect your children on moving metal machines!:)

BlazeWalker
07-23-2009, 18:48
wow, I thought crocs were ugly. Those five fingers take ugly to a whole other level!

Surplusman
07-23-2009, 19:24
I saw a guy wearing those five finger things a few days ago. I guess he must have left the paper bag to put over his head at home. Either that or he was some sort of mutant primate that escaped from a carnival. :D

Petr
07-23-2009, 20:31
Is"precisely" really the right word? :eek: A person who values function more than what somebody thinks is not human? :eek: :D

I'd like to think the bear does enjoy the view and would smell/taste the shoe.:) Like I said....

Well, the idea is not so much about what "somebody thinks" but more about what one's self appreciates. If you think crocs are aesthetically pleasing, I guess you could always justify that with "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I'm thinking that "there's no accounting for good taste" is a bit more accurate here.

On a side note, and I'm being a bit bitchy here, can we lay off the emoticons? Ideally, one's words should convey the tone of their meaning without the aid of a smorgasbord of little cartoons. I'm a fan of the written word, and it being interrupted by evil little cherubs every other sentence irritates me for some reason. That's just me though.

The more I think about it, and after reading all of your posts in the "packing out TP thread," I think I might be as excessively fervent about my anti-emoticon beliefs as my respected correspondent The Weasel is about his TP beliefs. I'm not sure if that makes me more or less odd.:-?:eek::):confused::p:cool::rolleyes::o:D:banana

Peter

wrongway_08
07-23-2009, 21:06
I never liked crocs, they are heavy, dont pack small and are not that comfy to me.

The five toed shoes seem like a good idea but if they wear out like the five toed socks - they wont last. I will say I used the five toed socks and they are awesome ........ except for the fact they only last a week of hiking on the A.T.. I used them as liner socks and what a difference, just wish they lasted.

Nean
07-23-2009, 21:14
Well, the idea is not so much about what "somebody thinks" but more about what one's self appreciates. If you think crocs are aesthetically pleasing, I guess you could always justify that with "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I'm thinking that "there's no accounting for good taste" is a bit more accurate here.

On a side note, and I'm being a bit bitchy here, can we lay off the emoticons? Ideally, one's words should convey the tone of their meaning without the aid of a smorgasbord of little cartoons. I'm a fan of the written word, and it being interrupted by evil little cherubs every other sentence irritates me for some reason. That's just me though.

The more I think about it, and after reading all of your posts in the "packing out TP thread," I think I might be as excessively fervent about my anti-emoticon beliefs as my respected correspondent The Weasel is about his TP beliefs. I'm not sure if that makes me more or less odd.:-?:eek::):confused::p:cool::rolleyes::o:D:banana

Peter

That is too funny!:D

Yeah- just gotta use those little guys- never even made it thru 2nd grade- to be able to hang with the wise men.:eek::rolleyes::D

See what I mean?:o

FYI- TW has raised the bar! He aint talkin TP, he's talking ****!:banana

Tinker
07-23-2009, 21:25
For most folks I have a feeling that Five fingers will equal at least two blisters.
Stick with what works: Old, well broken in running shoes, or even better, racing flats (just for the weight savings). When my custom Limmers were brand new I went on a five day hike on the Long Trail. Two days out I had blisters the size of quarters on each side of each heel. Heal they did, once I switched to my "camp shoes" - yep, old running shoes. Three days and thirty something miles later I limped out onto the road, stuck out my thumb, and vowed never again to wear heavy leather boots before they were absolutely, thoroughly broken in. My Limmers took me through most of New England on the AT and other trails as well, finally retired in 1999, when I switched to low top trail runners, and I haven't looked back.
Sorry for you Crocks fans, I hope you find something that works for you in the future, maybe even better.

Cuffs
07-23-2009, 23:45
The soles on Five Fingers are Vibram (Vibram makes them!) they actually only fit 'perfect' feet. If your second toe is even slightly longer than your big toe, they wont fit!!

beakerman
07-24-2009, 02:00
The soles on Five Fingers are Vibram (Vibram makes them!) they actually only fit 'perfect' feet. If your second toe is even slightly longer than your big toe, they wont fit!!

Well I'm totally screwed then...not that I thought I would ever be caught dead in something that ugly...my beige crocs are the limit of my hypocrisy.

Alli
07-24-2009, 18:01
Well I'm totally screwed then...not that I thought I would ever be caught dead in something that ugly...my beige crocs are the limit of my hypocrisy.
Me too, although we could pull a Cinderella-step-sister maneuver and cut our toes down.

mkahn89
07-24-2009, 18:19
all i know is that, even though they look funny i still love my crocs, they are the lightest second shoe to carry on the trail. and they are dang comfortable. a good product that i hate to see go under..

4Bears
07-24-2009, 18:44
This whole debate reminds me of a short story years ago titled "The Cruel Shoes". How curious though that a shoe is called "Five Fingers". One can see it now the opening of an outlet mall store "Five Finger Discounts". What could be next "Toe Gloves", I could go on with this PUNdant but it is best to die a slow death here and put it in a CROC. Sorry I couldn't help myself. :D

Hoop Time
08-27-2009, 10:08
Apparently reports of Crocs demise are premature. I discovered a Crocs store in the Anne Arundel Mills, a huge outlet mall near Baltimore. Also an online store at http://www.crocs.com/ with all kinds of diffferent styles, including the trail line:http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aadb_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-crocs_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_Images/default/v1251333580266/product-images/standard/trailbreak_10375_side_200.jpg

Erin
08-28-2009, 00:24
If crocs are going under, I will buy another pair to save. They are ugly as heck and I won't wear them out in public and they are most comfortable thing I have found to wear in the evening after a hike, summer or winter, around the campsite. Over hiking socks in winter, they are very warm in a cold camp when feet need a break and boots need a breather. I resisted them until six of us went on a Katrina relief trip and schlepped around a camp in tents and porta potties in rain and cold. We all wore them. You can see mine on my gallery pic hanging off my pack. I find between the toe sandals uncomfortable, so I like the crocks. Lighter than my old sandals and more comfortable than my old aqua socks (my 90' camp footwear).

JoshStover
08-28-2009, 00:36
Has anyone tried the new Crocs that are made to look like the Sanuks? They are pretty darn comfortable.

JoshStover
09-02-2009, 00:45
Noone? Hmmm...

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 12:32
all i know is that, even though they look funny i still love my crocs, they are the lightest second shoe to carry on the trail. and they are dang comfortable. a good product that i hate to see go under..
Me too.....

ShakeyLeggs
09-02-2009, 13:21
I wear my Crocs everyday for work. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I am glad my job allows them to be worn. My employer is in the minority as many healthcare facilities are banning them. If mine does I will be lost and in pain. They may be ugly but they are comfortable.