PDA

View Full Version : Will They Steal My Scooter?

STEVEM
07-23-2009, 11:47
I've been thinking about buying a 50cc scooter that I can tow on a small trailer behind my car. The idea being that I would drop off the scooter at the trailhead, drive my car to a road crossing 8-12 miles up the trail, hike back to the scooter then ride back to my car and trailer.

The scooter would be registered and insured and I have the necessary motorcycle license to ride it legally on the road. I am not planning to leave it overnight.

I'd like your opinion on this idea. I'm especially concerned about the possibility of the scooter being stolen or vandalized. Has anyone tried this?

chknfngrs
07-23-2009, 11:49
I'd say as long as you can secure it, you would be fine. That said, there's chance in everything. I've not heard of anyone doing what you're talking about doing.

I envision Dukes of Hazard, stashing your mode of transport off-road somewhere. Or was it Back to the Future...

Jester2000
07-23-2009, 12:01
I think it would probably be fine as long as you weren't leaving it overnight.

You may also want to check out the regs regarding the scooter. In my state, for example, scooters under 50cc don't need to be licensed or insured, and you don't need a motorcycle license for it.

At least one manufacturer I know of (Genuine Scooter Company) marks their scooters "50cc," but they're really 49cc for this reason.

Disposable
07-23-2009, 12:01
I've done that with a bicycle. Worked fine as long as the shuttle distance didn't wind up going around the world. I'd drop off my boots and pack and stick, and cover them with a piece of camo netting from a sporting goods store, and cover that with some leaves and sticks. Then I'd drive to the other end, ride back, and stow the bike under the netting. I'd use a cable lock around a tree trunk, but I think that's kind of pointless because if anybody finds it they'd have all the time they needed to cut the cable. More important is to make it so they don't find it in the first place. Leave the bike away from the road and a ways down from the trailhead. You're going for a walk anyway, what's another quarter mile?

DapperD
07-23-2009, 12:03
I've been thinking about buying a 50cc scooter that I can tow on a small trailer behind my car. The idea being that I would drop off the scooter at the trailhead, drive my car to a road crossing 8-12 miles up the trail, hike back to the scooter then ride back to my car and trailer.

The scooter would be registered and insured and I have the necessary motorcycle license to ride it legally on the road. I am not planning to leave it overnight.

I'd like your opinion on this idea. I'm especially concerned about the possibility of the scooter being stolen or vandalized. Has anyone tried this?Think lock and chain. Along with the scooter , spend $100+ and purchase a Kryptonite N.Y Forgettaboutit lock and chain. Get the 5 foot chain instead of the 3 foot, will make securing it easier. This is one of the best lock and chains on the market. Will withstand a ten minute power tool attack, and is pretty much impervious to hand tools. Make sure to be able to secure it through the frame to a solid immovable object like a post in concrete, etc... As far as the vandalism issue, there isn't too much you will be able to do to protect against that.

Reid
07-23-2009, 12:57
That's a great idea

Nean
07-23-2009, 13:16
I met a guy who sectioned using a bike and his RV. He would hide his bike as best he could before he locked it up at the TH he peddled to -walk back via the trail and ride back in his RV to retrieve the bike. Did it each day.:)

Jim Adams
07-23-2009, 15:13
I've seen quite a few people do this in Canada while canoeing. The will leave them for a week or two dependinding on the distance of the canoe trip. They usually use a good quality cable or chain and lock it to a huge tree. Never saw or heard of anyone having trouble with that setup however that is in Canada. There are people in the US that have the attitude that if they can't steal it then they will just beat the s**t out of it. You may still need a ride even if the scooter is there!

geek

Frosty
07-23-2009, 16:02
I've dayhiked a lot of the northern half of the AT this way back when I was driving to DC two-three times a month, but I used a bicycle.

Just put it out of sight in the woods. If no one sees you doing it, the odds of anyone wandering off trail are minimal.

I always parked the car and rode the bike to the other end, though. I didn't want to walk 8-12 miles or whatever and find teh bike gone after a long day. The car was nice to see coming out of the woods, especially knowing I had a cooler with some soda in it. If the car was stolen, I had bigger problems than just being tired.

Jack Tarlin
07-23-2009, 16:05
Frosty made an excellent point. Take a few moments and find a parking place that's well out of sight. If people can't see it, they can't tamper with it, vandalize it, or steal it.

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2009, 16:19
Yea get a cheap camo colored tarp for it. If you can't find the material for it call Cabellas.

Deadeye
07-23-2009, 18:15
I've done it with bicycles, same risk, just hide it as well as you can.

Different Socks
07-23-2009, 18:54
I have a 400cc, Yamaha Majesty. This topic is my concern also/c I have used my scoot for hiking end to end on a trail.

The advice I have been given is use multiple deterrents: Chain/cable w/lock, steering column locked, and brake alarm(I have all 3). It helps that my scoot weighs 400 pounds. But again as others have said, leaning it overnight will not stop 3-4 guys from loading it in a truck.
So what I also recommend is to see if there is a nearby home and ask if you can leave it locked up on their property. I've done this multiple times with my bike when hiking and 90% of the home owners help me out.

STEVEM
07-23-2009, 19:12
I've done it with bicycles, same risk, just hide it as well as you can.

I wasn't actually thinking of hiding the scooter, but parking it in a designated trailhead parking lot. A scooter is actually no different than a motorcycle or a car in that it is a registered motor vehicle. I suspect that the penalties for theft or vandalism are similar (not that it really concerns the bad guys).

I like the idea of chaining to a tree or rock though I'm not sure what a ranger would think, or if that would violate any laws.

A 50cc scooter weights about 200 Lbs. That makes it difficult to hide, but easy to steal.

On the positive side, I called my insurance agent today and found that full coverage on a small scooter including liability, bodily injury and $100.00 dedectable theft and damage protection would cost only about $60.00 - $80.00 per year.

fiddlehead
07-23-2009, 20:02
I'd hide it. I left my car for 2 minutes in Phila once.
They got everything that was inside it.
Tough to trust anyone after that.

Tinker
07-23-2009, 22:02

I'd like your opinion on this idea. I'm especially concerned about the possibility of the scooter being stolen or vandalized. Has anyone tried this?

I did this while section hiking New Hampshire in the 1980s but I used a bicycle. The best bicycles are woman's three speed models - just enough gearing selection to get you up most hills and absolutely NO theft appeal. I did, nevertheless, cable lock it to a good, stout tree. Without fenders you can remove both wheels and it will fit in just about any trunk.

Summit
07-23-2009, 22:41
I guess I fall into the "if they can't steal it, they'll trash it" category. There are too many evil-minded people out there who just enjoy doing someone harm in whatever way avails itself. So if you're going to try it, chain it up and hide it real good where no one is likely to walk. Good luck!

Doctari
07-23-2009, 23:05
I vote with the "Hide it AND lock it to something sturdy" crowd. A 50 CC bike is tiny (I ride a 900) so IMHO should be fairly easy to hide. I like the camo netting idea, check out a nearby Army surplus store, or sportsmans guide. My thought is, if they don't know to look, they won't be able to see it, at least as easily. I'm also thinking that not parking (Hiding) it right at a trail parking lot may be a good idea. Maybe a few yards down the road?

harryfred
07-24-2009, 00:38
Just some thoughts. I own several scooters 50cc to 250cc. and I love my 50's. Summit has a point you are in no more danger of having a scooter stolen, than has sufficiently been secured, as having your four wheeler vandalised. I have a friend that uses a 250 Night Hawk and a pickup truck just as you describe and has done up to 45 day hikes with no problems.

If you want to stay with a scooter and you have the money might I suggest a Honda Ruckus. If you can find one used the Big Ruckus is even better (90cc).

chiefduffy
07-24-2009, 03:04
I did this for most of Virginia and Maryland, where the trail runs near a lot of campgrounds. I'd pay for a campsite, leave my bike there, and drive my truck to the trailhead. After hiking back to camp, I'd ride the bike to retrieve the truck. Alot of weekends I was able to make two hikes this way, NOBO on Saturday and SOBO on Sunday.

Deadeye
07-24-2009, 07:28
I wasn't actually thinking of hiding the scooter, but parking it in a designated trailhead parking lot. A scooter is actually no different than a motorcycle or a car in that it is a registered motor vehicle. I suspect that the penalties for theft or vandalism are similar (not that it really concerns the bad guys).

I'd hide it. They'll steal your car if they can, a scooter can be tossed in the back of a pickup truck in seconds.

STEVEM
07-24-2009, 08:51
Just some thoughts. I own several scooters 50cc to 250cc. and I love my 50's. Summit has a point you are in no more danger of having a scooter stolen, than has sufficiently been secured, as having your four wheeler vandalised. I have a friend that uses a 250 Night Hawk and a pickup truck just as you describe and has done up to 45 day hikes with no problems.

If you want to stay with a scooter and you have the money might I suggest a Honda Ruckus. If you can find one used the Big Ruckus is even better (90cc).

I went to the local Yamaha dealer a few weeks ago. After he realized that he had nothing new or used to sell me he also recommended the Honda Ruckus.

He also told me that any Japanese scooter would be a good choice, but recommended avoiding Chinese scooters even though they're half the price of Japanese products. The Chinese brands for the most part do not have an established US sales network and it could be difficult or impossible to get parts and service.

Different Socks
07-24-2009, 09:23
I went to the local Yamaha dealer a few weeks ago. After he realized that he had nothing new or used to sell me he also recommended the Honda Ruckus.

He also told me that any Japanese scooter would be a good choice, but recommended avoiding Chinese scooters even though they're half the price of Japanese products. The Chinese brands for the most part do not have an established US sales network and it could be difficult or impossible to get parts and service.

Sorry to tell you this, but the Chinese scooters are pieces of crap! Many of the parts are plastic and break easily. Do alittle research or check the boards at MajestyUSA.com.

CowHead
07-24-2009, 09:43
Can you tell me the exact place and time it's going to be there and the combo of the lock you put on it. I for one don't believe anyone would steal your scooter....
http://inebriatedpress.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/ufo-cow-stealing-bw.jpg
if it did happen though it was someone not on WB

Jester2000
07-24-2009, 12:08
If you're shopping for a scooter check out Genuine Scooter Company out of Chicago, IL. They make 50cc, 125cc, and 150cc scooters. I've ridden every model they make and like them all.

They also have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on parts & labor, and 2 year free roadside assistance.

kythruhiker
07-24-2009, 13:24

I've got a like new 2009 Yamaha Vino Classic 125 with less than 200 miles on it for sale if you want to come to Kentucky to pick it up :D

And to stay on topic - hide the scooter if possible, way to easy for someone to pick it up and toss it in the back of a truck.

BlackCloud
07-25-2009, 21:11
As previously described on this forum, I have done this dozens of times w/ a 2000 Honda Elite 50cc scooter. I bought the thing used off eBay, & covered it w/ stickers. Did I mention it's purple? Point is, do this w/ a scooter that no one will want to steal (AKA a $4K Vespa).

What I do is chain the thing to a tree, out of view from the road. I then cover it w/ a waterproof camo cover designed for ATVs. Also, do not let people see you take it back there.

I have left the scooter in the woods for up to five days w/o incident. Also, the thing weighs 138lbs w/o me on it, so it's relatively easy to push thru the woods to some randomly large tree.