PDA

View Full Version : Chilkoot trail, Alaska

twilight
07-13-2004, 22:10
Was wondering if anyone has info on this trail or experience? Also, is there a trail guide available? Any info will be helpful!

Thanks,
Twilight :jump

lilmountaingirl
07-14-2004, 00:53
I hiked the Chilkoot quite a few years ago. I don't have all of the information at my fingertips but I'll dig up my journals and let you know what I find. At the end of the trail you sign a register and they still send me trail information.

We camped in Whitehorse, Yukon and were shuttled to our starting point in Dyea, AK. You will have to check on reservations and permits with Park Canada (867-667-3910) for hiking over the pass. They limit the daily travel (50 people can start per day from Dyea) over the summit, as well as how many are in the tentsites. Permits are mandatory, reservations are not - but probably a good idea depending on the time of year you are hiking (June-August will be busy).

Skagway is very close to Dyea and many places there offer shuttle service to the trail head. You might want to consider your base to be there. You will end at Lake Bennett.

It's a 35 mile hike - good for a 5 day/4 night (there's a lot to see and trust me - you want to see it!). The Golden Stairs are 1000' straight up, to the point that we found ourselves crawling up them...much like a ladder. Exhausting but worth every second when you hit that summit.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/chilkoot.htm has all the info you need on permits/reservations, trail profile, et cetera.

If there is any specific questions you have from someone who has hiked it, send me an email. I've been wanting to get back up there ever since the first time I went! It's a GREAT trek. :)

oruoja
07-14-2004, 08:44
I also was on the Chilkoot many years ago after an 855 mile roadtrip from Anchorage. The park service manages the southern end. Not much to to in Skagway and Dyea is the abandoned townsite where the gold rush seekers headed up for the pass. The Whitehorse Yukon railway is back in operation and you can head back with them to Skagway. For those that have the time I would suggest coming up to Skagway via the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system from Bellingham, Wa. I've used the ferry several times before and with a free standing tent you can pitch on the back decks. If you can drive up bring as much in supplies as you can from the lower 48 as the selection and cost becomes a factor the further north you get. Also, be prepared for lingering snow conditions. If you use the ferry I would also suggest stopping in Haines, Ak for a few days as there are some really nice trails to great views of the Lynn Canal. Contrary to popular belief there are sunny and warm days in southeast Alaska, but give yourself ample time just in case.