PDA

View Full Version : Simmer/cook or Freezer bag-it

zelph
07-23-2009, 16:15
Do you prefer to simmer/cook a meal?

Do you prefer to do Freezer bag meals?

Do you chose to do both?

What type of stove do you use to simmer?

toegem
07-23-2009, 16:55
Do you prefer to simmer/cook a meal?

Do you prefer to do Freezer bag meals?

Do you chose to do both?

What type of stove do you use to simmer?

First choice for simmering spring through fall is the Optimus Crux or 2nd is the Pocket Rocket. When hiking in cold weather a MSR Dragonfly does the trick.

hoz
07-23-2009, 19:21
I prefer simmer cook using a ziploc bowl. I gave up on freezer bag cooking. Got tired of the stinking bags.

beep
07-23-2009, 20:47
Freezer bag is my preference...less clean up, less futzing around with pot and lid. Add water and wait a few!

Tinker
07-23-2009, 21:00
I cook in a pot or boil water and rehydrate in a cup. It's easy enough to clean and, when cleaned with water, clean enough for next day's breakfast. Often I'll boil some water for a hot drink after scraping down the noodles and cheese sludge and make a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. I don't taste the remnants. Next morning's boiling effectively sterilizes the pot. After three days I usually add a little soap and scrub it out. No plastic in my food, and the bio suds I use to wash the pot in (away from water) probably break down pretty fast. I have no idea how much energy or pollution goes into making a freezer bag, but I hate to use one just once. For storage they're great.
I use a Supercat in the spring-fall a Ti-jet cannister stove down to around freezing, and a Whisperlite in the dead of winter. I used to use Esbit in the summer but it's a little expensive and smells a bit (quite offensive to some).

charlie2008
07-24-2009, 00:02
Simmer / Cook, nothing against freezer bag, but I'm more of a west coast slow hiker. Spend more time breaking and making camp than walking. Might even take a hour nap or so after lunch, works for me. Pocket rocket fer cooking and a cat stove for coffee and such.

Trailweaver
07-24-2009, 01:09
I simmer and cook - I feel like I can get more variety that way. I'm just not used to the freezer bag method. . . should try it once I guess.

Siestita
07-24-2009, 01:22
I've simplified my cooking style through experimentation, and in response to some great WB posts which I've read over the years.

I boil/simmer dinner in a Walmart Grease Pot, using a lid which I cut from a disposable aluminum pie pan. (Using the Walmart item is a bit retro. Similar grease pots are now sold only by K-Mart.)

I heat water for hot drinks in a 1/2 liter sized aluminum measuring cup embossed with a cherry on the bottom, purchased mail order from "Gooseberry Patch".

My "stove" consists of a Fancy Feast cat food can (lidless, empty and clean but otherwise unmodified) in which I burn alcohol. A small piece of wire mesh serves as my pot support and heavy duty aluminum foil as my windscreen.

I rarely, if ever, backpack these days during winter conditions. I have found that the arrangement described above works just as well for me, with less weight, than pricier specialty gear.

These days my circa 1973 aluminum cookset (SIGG), two purchased alcohol stoves (Trangia and Ion), canister stove (X-Pert), and white gas stove (Whisterlite) all languish unused in my basement. Siestita

zelph
07-24-2009, 10:28
First choice for simmering spring through fall is the Optimus Crux or 2nd is the Pocket Rocket. When hiking in cold weather a MSR Dragonfly does the trick.

I understand that these stoves will be able to be turned down to a low flame output to facilitate simmering.

What foods are you cooking/simmering and could they be prepared by letting them just sit for awhile in a coverd pot after they have been brought to a boil? The pot covered with someting to retain heat?

I recently cooked regular rice in my kitchen
by putting 1 cup rice and 2 cups water in a pot, brought to a boil, stirred twice around, heat shut off, lid put on and then covered with a hand towel to conserve heat. Waited 30 min and the rice was fully cooked. No simmering needed. I suspect noodles and maccaroni will cook in the same fashion??? I'm curious and I will try as soon as I can. A 4 day weekend coming up tomorrow for car camping, I'll do some experimenting and give the results next week.

Everones imput is being absorbed. In a certain way, rehydrated into my grey matter:banana

Have a great weekend and please keep the simmering info comming in.

toegem
07-24-2009, 11:08
I understand that these stoves will be able to be turned down to a low flame output to facilitate simmering.

What foods are you cooking/simmering and could they be prepared by letting them just sit for awhile in a coverd pot after they have been brought to a boil? The pot covered with someting to retain heat?

I recently cooked regular rice in my kitchen
by putting 1 cup rice and 2 cups water in a pot, brought to a boil, stirred twice around, heat shut off, lid put on and then covered with a hand towel to conserve heat. Waited 30 min and the rice was fully cooked. No simmering needed. I suspect noodles and maccaroni will cook in the same fashion??? I'm curious and I will try as soon as I can. A 4 day weekend coming up tomorrow for car camping, I'll do some experimenting and give the results next week.

Everones imput is being absorbed. In a certain way, rehydrated into my grey matter:banana

Have a great weekend and please keep the simmering info comming in.

I'll simmer mostly Knorr side dishes, soups split pea being my favorite or rice for home dried chilli. For the chilli I'll start by bring 2 cups of water to a boil extract 1 cup to cozy the chilli, dump in a a 1/2 cup of rice bring back to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 10 mins. remove from heat and cover till hoe cakes are done frying http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/flpaddler/th_P8120107.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/flpaddler/?action=view&current=P8120107.jpg) The soup has to be simmered for a mere 10 mins. uncovered so that it thickens. Enjoy your long weekend.

boarstone
07-24-2009, 11:26
Coleman Peak 1 canister, z-zip stove in dry times, areas or when I'm not in a hurry. I enjoy the time in camp eating/cooking.

sheepdog
07-24-2009, 13:16
I usually don't want to cook on the trail, I want to eat. Boil the water, dump it in the bag, chow time.