PDA

View Full Version : Just started Hiking AT

StGeorge
07-23-2009, 16:29
Hello, this is my first post on this site. I'm somewhat new to hiking. I was doing cross-country running up until a few years ago when back problems set in and I had to stop. I started hiking local trails near me, but then one day decided to hike part of the AT, which is just 15 minutes from where I live. Within the past several months I've hiked the complete area between Duncannon, PA and Center Point Knob near Boiling Springs, PA (not far by thru-hiker standards, I realize). I'm hoping to hike more further south towards the PA/MD border and north-east across the Susquehanna River.

In any case, I'm thinking of starting to buy some good gear. One thing especially I need is a good hiking pack. At this point, I don't plan on any days-long hikes, so I'm looking more for something I can use for day-hikes--something that rests comfortably on my back and which gives me easy access to water/Gatorade bottles and other gear. Does anybody know of a good brand? Since I don't have a full-time job right now, I need to keep it under $100.

Thanks!

fredmugs
07-23-2009, 16:56
If you're only doing day hikes just get a camelbak or an equivalent hydration system.

Cool AT Breeze
07-23-2009, 17:09
Check out the Camel Back Mule.

Hoop Time
07-23-2009, 19:16
I just bought a High Sierra Explorer 5500 for similar use and I am really pleased with it for the price (Got mine at REI in Timonium, but you can get one online for around $90). It is heavier than most folks here would recommend at 4.5 lbs, but you're not through hiking. You'll likely be carrying less in the pack so you can afford the extra weight for the trade-off in price. It comes with a pack cover, which would cost you another $25 or $30 at least. Has a nice adjustable fit system that allows you to adjust how high or low the straps are on the bag. Two big mesh side pockets for water. Other than the weight, only thing I'd complain about is that I'd like a few more pockets/compartments on the outside to stick stuff in. But I don't have a real good reason or that complaint. It fits all my gear fine and truth be told, I'd probably just carry stuff I don't really need if there were more places to stash it.

OOPS --- Just noticed you said for "day hikes," so never mind my suggestion. I misread it at first and thought you said for more than just day hikes. I was thinking you meant overnighters of a few days out.

flemdawg1
07-23-2009, 19:50
I use a Camelbak Cloud Walker, just big enough for a bladder, a lunch or 2, some emergency supplies and a jacket.

max patch
07-23-2009, 20:31
At this point, I don't plan on any days-long hikes, so I'm looking more for something I can use for day-hikes--something that rests comfortably on my back and which gives me easy access to water/Gatorade bottles and other gear.

Reread what StG is looking for...Camelbacks and 4.5 pound packs are overkill. He needs a simple day pack with a couple external mesh pockets for his water/gatorade bottles.

My REI day pack would be perfect; but its not made anymore so I can't help with a name.

gravy4601
07-23-2009, 20:33
sounds like you caught the hiking bug :welcome

i'd stay away from the hydration packs and save some money to get a small to mid pack for when you decide to throw in a sleeping bag and snacks for that long weekend trip to stay out for the night:banana

gravy4601
07-23-2009, 20:36
Ospry has a Talon that isnt to big and has hip pockets for easy access to small **** and only cost 150.00 or less

StGeorge
07-23-2009, 21:13
Thanks for your recommendations!

StGeorge
07-23-2009, 21:17
I'm going to see if I can head to the Mountainside Ski and Sports near me. They should carry hiking packs. I'll keep the Camelback in mind, and also check to see its weight.

Tinker
07-23-2009, 21:49
For dayhikes, something like this http://www.spadout.com/p/golite-ion-pack/ should be fine unless you need something that's hydration compatible. Quart Gatorade bottles are what I most often use for dayhikes. I buy one, drink it down about half way and then begin diluting it by adding water (I filter).
A friend of mine has one of these
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Outdoor+Research/idesc/Drycomp+Summit+Sack/Store/MG/item/203638/level3_id/0/level1_id/0/level2_id/0/N/4294967210 and he likes it very much. It's waterproof, which is a plus.

Hoop Time
07-23-2009, 23:08
I'm going to see if I can head to the Mountainside Ski and Sports near me. They should carry hiking packs. I'll keep the Camelback in mind, and also check to see its weight.

You might also want to check Wildware over in Harrisburg. Bass Pro also has a decent selection of day packs, including Camelbacks.

fredmugs
07-24-2009, 09:00
I have a 15 ounce GoLite back with 2 external mesh pockets for bottle holders but I could not find it at the GoLite website. I recommeded a Camelbak since it is easily used for other purposes and that may appeal to someone on a budget. I went to a Phillies game after a Maine hike and took the Camelbak right into the stadium (they thought it was a backpack).

Weight in this case in meaningless. When I day hike with a Camelbak I really don't even know it's there.

Just get something that in addition to water will allow you to secure a small amount of clothing like rain gear.

Lyle
07-24-2009, 15:44
While some may consider the ULA Conduit overkill for what you want right now, it makes a fine Large day pack. If and when you decide to do an overnight or two, It will be ready to carry the load. GREAT pack, and $100 on the nose.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.asp

StGeorge
07-26-2009, 20:24
Thanks for all your recommendations.

A few days ago I was going through my old boy scout equipment and actually found a hiking pack. I believe I only used it once. I thought it had the boy scout logo on it, so I never really considered it an option, but upon inspecting it, I found it logo free. There's not even a brand name attached to it...which may not be so great a thing.

Anyhow, it has a light-weight metal bars, the top one which can be adjusted up or down. It tends to ride high, the top bar meant to exceed my height. The front has a top pocket and a larger bottom pocket. There are two side pockets, each just large enough for a bottle of water. The top expands a bit, and there's a canopy hood with pocket that can be secured and tightened over the expanding top.

I tested the pack yesterday on a 4-hour local hike. I initially found the top metal bar very annoying, since it kept banging against the back of my head. I raised it, and that problem was solved. However, I found the back frame somewhat annoying, since it restricted some freedom of my arms. It felt like I was hauling a bike rack. The weight distribution seemed like it would be good though, especially were I carrying more weight. A belt strap kept the pack somewhat stable. The greatest problem I had though was not being able to simply swerve my pack around to grab a water, my camera, a bar, etc. I had to take the whole pack off to do this.

I'm still thinking of getting a day pack, one that allows me quicker access to my food, water and supplies.

gregp
07-27-2009, 07:14
Was just recently looking for a new day pack myself and after careful consideration and lots of shopping around purchased this one. REI Venturi 30 (http://www.rei.com/product/762506)

It's actually big enough to do an overnight if you so choose.

Some more advice I'd give is to make sure you try a pack of this size on before you buy. I found that many of the smaller packs were just too small for me even when they claimed to be size large. I actually tried one such "large" on and the hip belt came up to the bottom of my rib cage.:eek: