PDA

View Full Version : music to my ears

PSy BaSS
07-24-2009, 09:28
Just wondering if anyone takes their ipods on their hikes? Is it useless weight or do you thoroughly enjoy listening to some good music when walking or sitting on a hill top admiring life? I love the sounds of nature and mostly like to hear what's going on around me; although i do love music and can't imagine spending six months with out it!

Desert Reprobate
07-24-2009, 09:34
I'm looking forward to listening to the soundtrack from "Deliverance" while hiking through Georgia

ShoelessWanderer
07-24-2009, 09:39
Don't worry, I've seen LOTS of thru hikers with ipods! Ecspecially the touch ipod, you can also download books & other fun aps.

CowHead
07-24-2009, 10:01
i used my when I camp at night listen to a book, music, or movie

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-24-2009, 10:12
I find I hike faster with music. Sometimes I will use it, sometimes not. With music I get into this "hiking zone" where I jsut start rolling along. :)

Fiddleback
07-24-2009, 12:17
I don't do music much on the trail but audible books and old time radio shows are fun at night. I particularly like the old "Dimension X" and "X Minus One" sci fi stories...all available for free download or streaming as are hundreds of other shows/genres.

I got a kick when one show introduced a story by 'a new young writer, Ray Bradbury.':D

FB

Red Hat
07-24-2009, 13:03
I use a small Ipod Shuffle with lots of country gospel on it. When I feel down, I turn it on and it really gets my mind where it needs to be. Usually I use it for an hour or two a day. Worth the tiny bit of weight at .9 oz... (the charger is more, of course...) I charge whenever I get to town.

Kerosene
07-24-2009, 13:34
I love listening to music, but I've never regretted not having it while I'm hiking. The new iPod Shuffle has a pretty good battery and if you aren't playing it all the time it might last for a weeklong section.

I've seen a lot of thru-hikers hiking with earphones. If you've ever walked up behind one while they're listening, it's clear that they're not aware of their surroundings!

KMACK
07-24-2009, 13:40
I dont own one...even better.

The Weasel
07-24-2009, 15:39
I use a pre-iPod minidisk machine, but the same concept. I don't use it every minute, but when I do, it helps me pace myself. I've made several programs of varying music that helps speed me up (The Boss works wonders here, as does Tom Petty) and slows me down (Mary Chapin Carpenter). Yeah, those are old guy artists, but there are a lot of newer ones that work too.

Other times I take the buds out and listen to life. It's all good.

TW

zeal
07-24-2009, 16:17
i have a zune, does that mean i have to start a new thread?

trippclark
07-24-2009, 16:36
Occassionally I will carry one, exclusively to listen to at night. While hiking, I want to be taking in the sights and sounds of the trail. To cover that up with an MP3 player would, for me, take away from the trail experience. YMMV

Nean
07-24-2009, 16:50
For many years I hiked w/o a radio. Wouldn't you know the very first day I hike w/ music I catch up to a weekender who was dumbfounded that one could do that in nature-OMG :eek: !!!

I asked her if she had a radio at home? Yes. TVs too? Of course :rolleyes: , what is your point?:mad:

This is my home, I smiled.:)

Her face said, :confused: and I went :banana and well, thats the end of the story.:o

Bidwell
07-24-2009, 16:58
i have a zune, does that mean i have to start a new thread?

Yeah - sorry dude. You are so not cool! ;-):cool: