PDA

View Full Version : Bear Cannister

Frosty
07-13-2004, 23:56
I'm going to be spending a week and a half at Waterton, and am considering a bear cannister. Has anyone ever used the hard ones (not the Ursack), but ones like this:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=8905

illininagel
07-14-2004, 00:07
I was forced to rent one while backpacking in Yosemite. They aren't fun---heavy and bulky. Although, it was nice not having to hang food bags at night.

Frosty
07-14-2004, 08:55
I was forced to rent one while backpacking in Yosemite. They aren't fun---heavy and bulky. Although, it was nice not having to hang food bags at night.Yeah, the one I saw in Campmor was two and a half pounds. I just don't want to lose my food at the beginning of a ten-day loop. Or the midpoint. Or anytime, for that matter.

How did you secure it? Do you still hang it? How many days food did you get in it?

Thanks,
Frosty

flyfisher
07-14-2004, 09:18
I have used the Garcia while canoe camping in the BWCA. Once in camp and off my back it is quite useful.

It makes a dandy stool while I am cooking - more comfortable than a rock.

We just put it a hundred yards away from camp in some bushes. If a bear comes to play with it they can bat at it a little, but can't really carry it off - or so I am told. It does a great job of keeping squrrels, chipmunks, and mice out of food. I have seen squirrels trying to get in it, but have never had a bear visit to try that out.

I now carry an Ursack for the same purpose. Bear visits are just not common enough to make the weight worthwhile in my ultralight backpacking mode. I would only use it for backpacking when required in California.

It easily carries a week's worth of my backpacking food.

Risk

Grimace
07-14-2004, 12:48
LEaving for week and ahalf jaunt in Glacier NP. NOt actually going into Canada though. Bear cans are NOT required and therefore not necessary. Bear cans don;t limit the smell of the food any. If a bear decides to attack you for yor food it'll do it regardless of the bear can. It is mandated that one stays in designated campsites. They all have food storage containers on premises. Use those at night and just be aware during the day.

I used a bear can in Yosemite. It is just like a stuff sack only 2lbs heavier.

Frosty
07-14-2004, 14:56
LEaving for week and ahalf jaunt in Glacier NP. NOt actually going into Canada though. Bear cans are NOT required and therefore not necessary. Bear cans don;t limit the smell of the food any. If a bear decides to attack you for yor food it'll do it regardless of the bear can. It is mandated that one stays in designated campsites. They all have food storage containers on premises. Use those at night and just be aware during the day.Jeez, I hadn't even thought of a bear coming after food while I was carrying it! I was just thinking about keeping it safe at night.

I typed Waterton in error. I'm heading for the Waddington Glacier area. It's further west, near the coast. I have no idea if there are designated campsites or not, or what the bear problem might be. I dislike carrying any weight I don't have to carry, but don't want to give the bears my food, either.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Grimace
07-14-2004, 16:45
Waterton - Waddington. Both in Canada. If the parts of Waddington you are visiting are somewhat remote, the bears probably have not figured out to get food froma properly hung bear bag. You'll be fine w/o a can.

Can's are mandated in places like Yosemite because millions of people visit each year and inappropriately hang and store their food. Bears have figured out great tricks to getting at bags and through cars. I'm guessing Waddington is not like Yosemite. Try to avoid the most popular campsites though.

A bear attacking you for your food is probably pretty unlikely. I thought you were going to Waterton where there are already bear proof storage facilities. I guess when I answered I was just trying to figure out why you would need a can in that kind of atmosphere.

Phoenix7
07-23-2004, 23:55
I just got my Backpackers Cache bear cannister in the mail today. It is several pounds and bulky. Can carry a fair amount of food. I'm hoping it will be worth it for keeping out critters and bears.

Phoenix

steve hiker
07-24-2004, 00:34
Can's are mandated in places like Yosemite
Can's? Or cans? Go bakc to grammr skul Grimace.

Frosty
07-25-2004, 21:49
If the parts of Waddington you are visiting are somewhat remote, the bears probably have not figured out to get food froma properly hung bear bag. You'll be fine w/o a can. Thanks. Grimace (and all who answered). We kinda think that the bears around Waddington will not be as food-conditioned as those in major parks with established campsites. We'll see what the locals require/recommend when we get there. Leavin' in four days! :)

Phoenix7
07-26-2004, 01:13
Frosty, there are 2 threads on "bear buckets" (cannisters) on page 2 of this section. May be worth a look.

Phoenix